BX23 vs BX25D vs BX23S

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Despite what others say - the BX25 and all of it's brothers are a damn tough and well made machines - it will do things you can NEVER imagine - while it is smaller than B, L, and M machines - some of that smallness is a great selling point. IMO it is the perfect machine for the person that needs an all in one that will be around long after the person using it will be, IF of course it is taken care of.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880 with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
If I were to be moving 1000s of yards of compacted clay earth, I may be a rednec... no, wait, wrong line. I wouldn't be looking at subcompacts, now would I? 👍

Perhaps some background: I have half an acre. That's it. Though I would like B2xxx TLB, THAT may be overkill and a PITA to move around and store compared to the BX line which look like riding lawn mowers on steroids. I'm digging a few trenches, moving MAYBE a triaxle load plus odds and ends. The BX may be the best bet for my needs. I'm more sticker shocked at their pricing where the larger B2xxx's are slightly more affordable, depending.
For only a half acre, a new 1880 with a loader and mower will work fine for you. Sure would suck to buy one of those tractors and have a major maintenance bill due to the previous owner lying about what was done to maintain it. I’m on 7 acres and cuts 3 acres fine, does snow removal great and does the heavy lifting that my old ass can’t do anymore. Takes up a garage slot. You can pick and choose what attachments you need. Heck, I picked up a used 3 point 6 foot back blade for 200 bucks. Dam near new. With new, you get a warranty too. Sure, it takes longer to get stuff done compared to a B or larger, but I didn’t need that large of a tractor. All the new BX series are all the same on lifting. Only the engines are different HP. 0 percent financing for 5 years is hard to beat. Put down a large down payment and payments will be low. Good luck on your decision.

Doughboyea

Aug 28, 2024
Central CT
Skid steer Quick Attach - which makes changing stuff on the loader end very easy!

The 25D did add a few little things to the 24 did not have

Here is some info on those changes
Ah, thank you. Though it makes changes easier, I've also heard that the mechanism adds a considerable weight to the front end, reducing the overall capacity of the loader's lift.

Those changes seem to be a good upgrade, being able to stop and having less jerky reverse... and a metal hood. All positives. The seller of the BX23 and the BX25 are asking nearly the same amount. I would prefer the BX25D, but still that asking price is hard to swallow.

Doughboyea

Aug 28, 2024
Central CT
For only a half acre, a new 1880 with a loader and mower will work fine for you. Sure would suck to buy one of those tractors and have a major maintenance bill due to the previous owner lying about what was done to maintain it. I’m on 7 acres and cuts 3 acres fine, does snow removal great and does the heavy lifting that my old ass can’t do anymore. Takes up a garage slot. You can pick and choose what attachments you need. Heck, I picked up a used 3 point 6 foot back blade for 200 bucks. Dam near new. With new, you get a warranty too. Sure, it takes longer to get stuff done compared to a B or larger, but I didn’t need that large of a tractor. All the new BX series are all the same on lifting. Only the engines are different HP. 0 percent financing for 5 years is hard to beat. Put down a large down payment and payments will be low. Good luck on your decision.
Thing is, I need the backhoe portion as well. I have a zero turn for mowing, so that's not going to be the main use of the tractor. It will be used to move some dirt around, dig drainage trenches, a 12x20 foundation, bush and small stump removals, and new plantings. Then, over time, used for unloading/loading my trailer and pulled out for heavy snow falls.

Its hard to convince the wife and my wallet to spend near $30k on a machine that will not be used every day (like a car or pickup would be). Again, small property here, so no need for a large money making machine.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Despite what others say - the BX25 and all of it's brothers are a damn tough and well made machines - it will do things you can NEVER imagine - while it is smaller than B, L, and M machines - some of that smallness is a great selling point. IMO it is the perfect machine for the person that needs an all in one that will be around long after the person using it will be, IF of course it is taken care of.
This is so true!

A couple years ago, actually a few years ago now, I used my BX to pull my 5 x 8 dump trailer with at least a cubic yard of clay soil in it each time. At least 200 loads and probably more. Up some slopes as well. Not real steep ones but somewhere between five and ten degrees probably.

Looking back, can’t help but think “Gee, Hagrid says this is a lawn mower!” 😂

I dug all that earth, by the way, with the backhoe on my B2910. Damn, I guess I forgot that a lot of people say having a backhoe on the tractor is a waste of time and money. LOL. Being retired I have time, and I already wasted the money on my backhoe 20 years ago… now if I could just find something else to waste my money on that paid back as well!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Mountainman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501, B7100, B6000, BX24, B1750, B2400
Jul 10, 2022
Attalla Alabama
mossycreekoutdoors.com
The bx23 was the last model of the original design. It is basically a bx2230 with the backhoe. One of the best in my opinion. The bx25 is a 60 series so it doesn't have the plastic hood or fender like the bx24 had which was a 50 series. The bx23s is an 80 series and newest model. Bx23s is basically a bx25 with a few cosmetic changes. Engine and tranmission are the same. The moved the loader joystick to the fender on the 23s, gave it tilt steering, few cosmetic changes renamed the la243 loader to la344 to compete with John deere but it's still an la243 just labeled according to where the lift is measured from. And added some nonsense for making it so you could remove the loader without getting off the tractor.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
While the 'SSQA can't lift as much' is true it's more than offset by the EASY and FAST way to change attachments ! I think the number for the BX23S is 80# more, so ONE patio stone. So, I have to make 6 trips instead of 5, NOT a big deal... If you have a project needing LOTS of HEAVY material moved, maybe rent a 3 yard front end loader for the day ? Tractors are part of life , and are a compromise between time and money. If you have the time and want to save money, you buy a smaller on BUT it'll take YOU more time to do a task. IF you have the money, you buy a machine that'll do THE job you need done, and it'll save you time.

Two things to consider with a pin-on loader though are 1, it needs big,FLAT space to change the attachments and 2, the older YOU get ,the harder it is to change them !

An option....If you don't intend to mow with the BX23S, sell the MMM and buy the SSQA plate. Six years ago the MMM was a $2500 CDN option. If you got $2K for it,it'd probably pay for the SSQA plate.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
While the 'SSQA can't lift as much' is true it's more than offset by the EASY and FAST way to change attachments ! I think the number for the BX23S is 80# more, so ONE patio stone. So, I have to make 6 trips instead of 5, NOT a big deal
The BX will lift a bucket load of dirt. With or without SSQA. The B2601 will lift a bucket load of dirt. With or without the SSQA. The B has a bigger bucket though. Unless you're moving something very dense - gravel for example - you won't notice the difference. Most tractor operators (myself included) aren't good enough at filling the bucket that they would end up overloading. And even if they do, good luck going anywhere with it without it all spilling out.

I wouldn't find the story about the seller of the BX23S concerning. They're not saying he's lying or selling broken stuff, just that if someone else offers he may sell it out from under you. If you turn up with cash then he'll sell to you.

I wouldn't find the price on the BX25D concerning. Just offer less if you think it's worth less. He may accept your offer.

Again, focus on which machine you actually want, then work forward on that. The newer model is a bit more desirable, but not really that different. The tires are different. The implements are different. That's where to focus.

On machine size - a B2601 is really not very different in size to a BX. It's taller, but not noticeably longer or wider. But the extra height gives it quite a bit more capability - the 3ph has better geometry, the wheels (particularly front wheels) are much larger. It's a more robust machine. You don't need it, and it's more expensive. But rule it out because you don't need it/can't afford it, not because you think it's too large.

Reactions: 1 user