BX1870 vs BX2370

Howard Walden

Jan 10, 2016
Eau Claire, MI
I am looking to buy one of these new. I am wondering if the 18 owners have problems with traction with the turf tires. The 54" deck is wider than I need,but I don't want to use 4wd all the time when I mow, I have some hills that get slippery when damp. I don't want to tear up the lawn with AG tires Ind. Tires seem a better bet but not available on the 18. Do the 18 owners wish they had the extra power? Do the turf tires do OK in the dirt, and snow with the loader?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
I started looking at the bx1870 in Nov. In the end I bought the 2370-1 I decided I wanted to be in the 20+ hp zone. I also took the R4 tires and the 54 mower.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Get the 2370......the combo of 4wd and R4's are hard to beat. I have a B7100 turfs and even with 4WD - there is no comparison between the two - the turfs do the job, but pure grip belongs to the R4's - and if I need to use 4wd then it is even better - they do NOT tear up the grass unless wet or very sharp turns with 4WD engaged. Just my 2 cents.

jsutter

Equipment
BX1870
Dec 29, 2015
Southeast Ohio
I both am new to this site and owning a sub-compact tractor as well. I have owned lawn tractors in the past and have operated quite a few larger (not-compact) tractors of various makes and sizes in the past. In my opinion, if you are mostly just mowing a lawn, and you are looking at a BX sized tractor, the BX1870 will do you just as well as any of the larger engine BX's. You won't notice the difference unless you are using rear PTO equipment.

I recently bought a BX with a front end loader, belly mower, and a box blade. It does everything I ask and I haven't had any issue with it on my lawn with the turf tires. I only get any rutting if there have been a lot of recent rain. It runs well in both 2 and 4wd and does not tear up the lawn at all and has not wanted for traction at any point.

Without knowing your individual needs, this is all I can say: buying a BX is so much of an upgrade over a regular lawn or garden tractor, that it would take you quite some time to even notice any differences between the different BX's.

Howard Walden

Jan 10, 2016
Eau Claire, MI
I both am new to this site and owning a sub-compact tractor as well. I have owned lawn tractors in the past and have operated quite a few larger (not-compact) tractors of various makes and sizes in the past. In my opinion, if you are mostly just mowing a lawn, and you are looking at a BX sized tractor, the BX1870 will do you just as well as any of the larger engine BX's. You won't notice the difference unless you are using rear PTO equipment.

I recently bought a BX with a front end loader, belly mower, and a box blade. It does everything I ask and I haven't had any issue with it on my lawn with the turf tires. I only get any rutting if there have been a lot of recent rain. It runs well in both 2 and 4wd and does not tear up the lawn at all and has not wanted for traction at any point.

Without knowing your individual needs, this is all I can say: buying a BX is so much of an upgrade over a regular lawn or garden tractor, that it would take you quite some time to even notice any differences between the different BX's.
I'll be mostly mowing and moving dirt. Will move snow also. Got a short driveway. 54" deck wouldn't fit in my trailer. Probably will go with the bx1870. Not sure I need the extra hp.

jsutter

Equipment
BX1870
Dec 29, 2015
Southeast Ohio
I'll be mostly mowing and moving dirt. Will move snow also. Got a short driveway. 54" deck wouldn't fit in my trailer. Probably will go with the bx1870. Not sure I need the extra hp.

That is also what I use mine for 95% of the time. I also have been using a box blade to work a gravel driveway and a post hole digger to start a fence line. In this time, I have not had any issues nor have I wanted more power. Maybe the extra 5 hp would make the jobs I do <5% of the time go a little faster, but I have other things I would rather put the extra ~$1700 (the extra price I was quoted for moving up to the BX2370) towards.

dmbe

Jan 29, 2015
Altoona, pa
I have a 1870 with turf tires that I use mostly for mowing with 54" fine cut deck. I mow a 22 deg hill up, down, across, and sideways and have no problems. Seldom need to use the 4 wheel drive. Using the 4 wheel drive and making sharp turns even on flat ground will tend to mark the grass. The 1870 will fit in my garage. The 2370 being a little taller would not without lowering the ROPS.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I aint never heard of nobody sayin I wish I didnt have so much power,, just sayin

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I aint never heard of nobody sayin I wish I didnt have so much power,, just sayin

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unless the cost is so much more the pocketbook bleeds to death!:D:)

looking roughly at the costs.......looking about 3 grand more (both with 54" non drive over), but I think for the 3k - you get more than just HP,like the loader valve......

Last edited:

esloser

Equipment
working on BX1870-1
Oct 30, 2015
Millville, NJ
How do you like the 54" fine cut deck? I am on half an acre and have been researching the bx1870-1 with 48" fine cut deck. I can't find anything that shows the difference between the normal and fine cut decks. Unfortunately, the 1870 is the only one that comes with the 48" deck and I think any other deck would be way too big for my property. I'm currently using a 42" deck on an x310 and that is plenty big itself.

Eric

I have a 1870 with turf tires that I use mostly for mowing with 54" fine cut deck. I mow a 22 deg hill up, down, across, and sideways and have no problems. Seldom need to use the 4 wheel drive. Using the 4 wheel drive and making sharp turns even on flat ground will tend to mark the grass. The 1870 will fit in my garage. The 2370 being a little taller would not without lowering the ROPS.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I am very happy with my 1860. Had plenty of power to run the 54" deck (have since upgraded to a zero turn to cut down on mowing time). I've used my little 18 horses to do a TON of work from dirt to snow and NEVER have run out of power.

I agree that no one will complain of having too much power but I can also promise you I've never complained that I didn't have enough. Only exception is FEL lifting capacity which is the same with the 2370 anyway. I'd like to have a couple hundred more lbs but that's a hydro/FEL spec issue not an engine power issue.

dmbe

Jan 29, 2015
Altoona, pa
How do you like the 54" fine cut deck? I am on half an acre and have been researching the bx1870-1 with 48" fine cut deck. I can't find anything that shows the difference between the normal and fine cut decks. Unfortunately, the 1870 is the only one that comes with the 48" deck and I think any other deck would be way too big for my property. I'm currently using a 42" deck on an x310 and that is plenty big itself.

Eric
I think the fine cut deck cuts a little better than the standard one. I have the mulch kit and do not notice any trimmings left behind after cutting. Last spring was a challenge because of all the rain. Had to cut every 3 or 4 days. Either deck would do a good job. I'm considering getting the bagger kit this spring because of all the thatch I had to remove in the fall. I would only bag in the early spring and late fall for leaf cleanup. Not sure yet, $2500 is a lot for it.

jsutter

Equipment
BX1870
Dec 29, 2015
Southeast Ohio
I agree that no one will complain of having too much power but I can also promise you I've never complained that I didn't have enough.
I agree; I haven't found any need for any more power that I couldn't just work around with a little forethought. I have not heard of anyone complaining about more money in their wallet either

If I did find that I needed more power, I would be more likely just move up the whole spectrum to a B series and then would also get a much more significant increase to the hydraulics, frame, and the tire size. I really think the limiting factor to the BX series is usually going to be the size of the machine more than the amount of HP you can put into it.

hy8ytjh98

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870 with BX2750D snow blower, LA203A loader
Nov 1, 2013
Gorham, ME, USA
Hi. I've got the BX1870. For me it is perfect. I have a small residential lot and I use it for snowblowing (BX2750D), moving (54" fine cut), and some loader work from time to time. The extra cost of moving up to the 23HP machine was around 3K. I really wanted to smallest machine I could get (that was still a BX) and so for me the choice was easy. I have the turf tires (loaded rears) and have no problems in the summer with mowing (I use 2WD unless I specifically need 4WD for a moment). It does not tear up the lawn. In the winter I don't need chains (asphalt driveway) as the turfs work just fine. I like the fact that the machine is a little more compact than the 23HP would have been. As far as power, it is plenty for my applications. It runs the mower without any problem at all. No problems with loader either. With snowblowing, I do have to slow down depending on how wet the snow is, but I've watched videos on YouTube of the 23HP model and seen them doing similar things so I don't think that even 23HP is enough to prevent the need to do that. I am happy with mine. If I had a lot more land and might want to use some ground-engaging rear implements then I would probably have gone up to the 23HP model. But for my situation the 18HP model is perfect.

Howard Walden

Jan 10, 2016
Eau Claire, MI
Hi. I've got the BX1870. For me it is perfect. I have a small residential lot and I use it for snowblowing (BX2750D), moving (54" fine cut), and some loader work from time to time. The extra cost of moving up to the 23HP machine was around 3K. I really wanted to smallest machine I could get (that was still a BX) and so for me the choice was easy. I have the turf tires (loaded rears) and have no problems in the summer with mowing (I use 2WD unless I specifically need 4WD for a moment). It does not tear up the lawn. In the winter I don't need chains (asphalt driveway) as the turfs work just fine. I like the fact that the machine is a little more compact than the 23HP would have been. As far as power, it is plenty for my applications. It runs the mower without any problem at all. No problems with loader either. With snowblowing, I do have to slow down depending on how wet the snow is, but I've watched videos on YouTube of the 23HP model and seen them doing similar things so I don't think that even 23HP is enough to prevent the need to do that. I am happy with mine. If I had a lot more land and might want to use some ground-engaging rear implements then I would probably have gone up to the 23HP model. But for my situation the 18HP model is perfect.
Thanks everyone for your input. I will be ordering a BX1870. This week. 48" MMM, FEL. Looks like it will fill my needs.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Down here in Portage the 18 HP works plenty good. Use chains on rear tires in snow. Mower works great. My main gripe is the crummy control for the 3 point. Check out the BX and also the B series for things like that for your multi usage. This is a small machine so don't expect a lot. The HP is not a part of its limitations. I have a much larger blue tractor with 18 HP. It does far more than the BX mainly due to size.

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
1870 with turf tires and no issues mowing or plowing snow. My only complaint is the Kubota front blade doesn't lift high enough to do a good job pushing back snow piles on the side of the driveway. To do that well I'd have to have a quick attach blade with hydraulic angle on the front of the FEL boom. I think for that I would have had to bought a B series instead of a BX.