BX1870 Experience

hy8ytjh98

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870 with BX2750D snow blower, LA203A loader
Nov 1, 2013
Gorham, ME, USA
Have had my BX1870 for a couple of months now. Thought I would share my experience and address some specific things that I had a hard time finding out before I bought it.

My setup is BX1870, turf tires, BX2750D front-mount blower, and LA203A loader. About 12 hours on it so far, all blowing snow. No experience yet with the loader. My yard is less than 2 acres, but I have a decent area to snowblow.

1. Power - I was concerned about the 18HP (vs. stepping up to the 23HP) but went with the smaller one anyway as I thought it fit my property better overall and was slightly smaller to fit in the garage. I am happy with the power. It is still in the break-in period. Max RPM I have used so far is 2800 and that was when we had a foot of snow to blow. A couple of times when I was going a bit too fast it started to bog just a little, but letting up on the pedal for a second or two solve it each time. I am sure that more HP would mean I could go even faster through the snow, but I am very happy with the power that little 18HP engine delivers. Once it is broken in I will probably run it closer to full throttle when I have deep snow.

2. Diesel Engine - This is my first diesel. I keep the tractor in my (finished off) garage along with my cars, workbench, etc. I was really not sure if I would be unhappy about the diesel smoke blowing inside the garage especially upon cold starts. It is not a problem. I have a side garage door where it is parked and I open the door and start it - get a little puff of smoke - then I quickly move it outside and let it warm up there. No issue with smoke in the garage. Even on the coldest mornings when it was probably 10 degrees (F) in the garage and -15 outside, it didn't fill my garage with smoke.

3. Diesel Fuel - Again, this being my first diesel I wasn't sure if I would have problems on cold days with it gelling. When I took delivery from the dealer, I was told they had treated the fuel...well I found out the hard way that they had not. It did freeze up on me after about 1.5 hours outside blowing snow in -15F weather. However, I was able to nurse it back into the garage and get some Power Service into it (and top it off with a full tank of diesel) and it was fine after a few minutes. I was probably lucky as I didn't end up messing up the fuel filter or anything. Lesson learned.

4. Turf Tires on Snow - I didn't know if the turf tires would really work well in the snow or if I would end up needing chains (which I really did not want). I blow primarily paved driveways, but there are some reasonably steep uphill portions. Those tires, along with the 4WD are absolutely adequate. If the ground is snowy, I normally do put it in 4WD and a couple of times when I got really crazy and started blowing down into a snow bank I even used the differential lock. But, at least for my applications, there is absolutely no need for chains, and also no need for any additional weight in the rear (I do have RimGuard in the rear tires, which is all I need for blowing snow).

So I thought I would share these things in case it helps anyone else. Excellent little machine and a joy to use.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Have had my BX1870 for a couple of months now. Thought I would share my experience and address some specific things that I had a hard time finding out before I bought it.

My setup is BX1870, turf tires, BX2750D front-mount blower, and LA203A loader. About 12 hours on it so far, all blowing snow. No experience yet with the loader. My yard is less than 2 acres, but I have a decent area to snowblow.

1. Power - I was concerned about the 18HP (vs. stepping up to the 23HP) but went with the smaller one anyway as I thought it fit my property better overall and was slightly smaller to fit in the garage. I am happy with the power. It is still in the break-in period. Max RPM I have used so far is 2800 and that was when we had a foot of snow to blow. A couple of times when I was going a bit too fast it started to bog just a little, but letting up on the pedal for a second or two solve it each time. I am sure that more HP would mean I could go even faster through the snow, but I am very happy with the power that little 18HP engine delivers. Once it is broken in I will probably run it closer to full throttle when I have deep snow.

2. Diesel Engine - This is my first diesel. I keep the tractor in my (finished off) garage along with my cars, workbench, etc. I was really not sure if I would be unhappy about the diesel smoke blowing inside the garage especially upon cold starts. It is not a problem. I have a side garage door where it is parked and I open the door and start it - get a little puff of smoke - then I quickly move it outside and let it warm up there. No issue with smoke in the garage. Even on the coldest mornings when it was probably 10 degrees (F) in the garage and -15 outside, it didn't fill my garage with smoke.

3. Diesel Fuel - Again, this being my first diesel I wasn't sure if I would have problems on cold days with it gelling. When I took delivery from the dealer, I was told they had treated the fuel...well I found out the hard way that they had not. It did freeze up on me after about 1.5 hours outside blowing snow in -15F weather. However, I was able to nurse it back into the garage and get some Power Service into it (and top it off with a full tank of diesel) and it was fine after a few minutes. I was probably lucky as I didn't end up messing up the fuel filter or anything. Lesson learned.

4. Turf Tires on Snow - I didn't know if the turf tires would really work well in the snow or if I would end up needing chains (which I really did not want). I blow primarily paved driveways, but there are some reasonably steep uphill portions. Those tires, along with the 4WD are absolutely adequate. If the ground is snowy, I normally do put it in 4WD and a couple of times when I got really crazy and started blowing down into a snow bank I even used the differential lock. But, at least for my applications, there is absolutely no need for chains, and also no need for any additional weight in the rear (I do have RimGuard in the rear tires, which is all I need for blowing snow).

So I thought I would share these things in case it helps anyone else. Excellent little machine and a joy to use.

Great post - I think when spring rolls around you will have a great time with the bucket! It will be warm(er) outside and you will think of all kinds of things to do with your tractor!

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine

Interesting write up.
Your Kubota should give you many years of enjoyment.
Do you think you will be getting a cab for your BX1870 ?
Did you have any icy areas in your driveway, when you were blowing snow ?
I was wondering how the turf tires might work on ice ?

Bill

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Nice write up. I opted for the R4's cause a buddy has used them on his Bx23 for the last 5 years and I didnt want to use chains. He plows a steep blacktop u-shaped driveway, no chains needed. You could tear up the yard if your not careful, but I dont mow when its sloppy wet outside either.

Diesel is made in the winter for current temps. I also got stuck on this one when I had a full tank of early treated fuel. I also was outside for 2 hours plowing at 0 degrees and the next morning it was -15. Started it and pulled it outside, it immediately stopped, fuel was gelled. Pushed it back inside and waited 3 days to warm, topped off with current treated fuel, no problems. I will change filters this spring.

Was my early diesel fuel made for 10 degrees,5 or 0? Not sure but it was a couple months old. The treatment only knocks it down a few more degrees anyways.
With that said, I drive a diesel truck for the last 7+ years on a daily basis and never had a problem.

It pays to be current :D

navspecwar

Equipment
B3300HST FEL, ATH72 Finish Mower, 5ft KKRear Blade,Piranha TB
Oct 5, 2013
Marion, Illinois
In my experience, no tires work on ice ;) unless ofcourse like one person I seen on here who uses studs in his tires, then your talking about a different animal! I forgot who it was, maybe they will chime in........

Roger L

Equipment
BX
Feb 5, 2014
Wall, NJ
You may also want to consider adding a weight box to rear 3 pt hitch and fill with bricks, the added rear weight offsets the snow blower weight and adds more traction to rear wheels and actually lightens up on steering.
Roger

Ancbill

Equipment
Bx2360, 54" mmm, BX2750D snowblower, RB0560 rear blade, psycho border collie
Dec 17, 2011
Anchorage, ak
Instead of a weight box get a scrapper blade. I use mine when the snow is 4" or less, faster than the blower.

I have studded my front tires, keep them in year round. Chains n weights on the back of course.

But you lower 48 ers are all having the fun this year. Haven't started my tractor in a month. Two weeks ago it was 50 in anchorage, I don't have any snow left in my yard :(

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ahhummm ya know we could send all this stuff back up to you guys, no charge and Im sure wildfire would add to the package,,,lol

hy8ytjh98

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870 with BX2750D snow blower, LA203A loader
Nov 1, 2013
Gorham, ME, USA
Interesting write up.
Your Kubota should give you many years of enjoyment.
Do you think you will be getting a cab for your BX1870 ?
Did you have any icy areas in your driveway, when you were blowing snow ?
I was wondering how the turf tires might work on ice ?

Bill
Right now I have no plans to get a cab. Tractor will not fit in garage with ROPS raised, so that is kind of a limiting factor. Probably cannot really justify the cab anyway (could not really justify the tractor itself, but that is another story...).

I have not had a lot of really icy conditions to deal with. Some ice coated the snow before got to snowblow it, and that was no problem. I have had a few icy patches on the asphalt where water melted and refroze - best idea there is a little sand and that takes care of it. I agree with what navspecwar said - no tires really work on ice...unless the have studs or chains or something like that. I don't expect to have those conditions very often.