BX - replacing unknown coolant

dje

Equipment
BX23S
May 30, 2023
Vancouver Island, Canada
I flushed the system three times with deionized water. That was a pain for the first flush (getting clamps/hoses off the overflow and lower reservoirs), but now I know how to do it. In the future I don't plan on doing a water flush - instead I'll just stick to the same kind of coolant, empty out as much as I can, and adhere to the 2 year schedule.

Reactions: 1 users

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I bought a used BX23S and want to replace the coolant. The current coolant is green but I don't know what kind it is. I would just replace it with blue ethylene glycol coolant (per the manual), but I'm worried about it mixing badly with whatever is currently in the machine (since I won't get 100% of it out).

I'd appreciate any recommendations on what to do.

For example, this coolant says it's compatible with any other color:

I could replace it with green (i.e. keep the same color):

Or try to get as much of the green out and switch to blue:

Thanks!
After all the coolant (antifreeze) talk, I guess I will stand by what I said in a post some time ago.

"1) Using distilled water for mixing is better than using well or city water. (You can do what you think is best for your machine)

Distilled Bourbon is not good for your tractor, but it is still good to have around! (Everybody knows that!)

2) You can't know the properties and/or correct use for an anti-freeze by its color. Remember, the "green stuff" was clear until they added a coloring agent. YOU NEED TO READ AND UNDERSTAND THE SPECS REQUIRED FOR YOUR MACHINE, WHATEVER IT IS, AND USE A PRODUCT THAT MEETS THOSE SPECS. "

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
After all the coolant (antifreeze) talk, I guess I will stand by what I said in a post some time ago.

"1) Using distilled water for mixing is better than using well or city water. (You can do what you think is best for your machine)

Distilled Bourbon is not good for your tractor, but it is still good to have around! (Everybody knows that!)

2) You can't know the properties and/or correct use for an anti-freeze by its color. Remember, the "green stuff" was clear until they added a coloring agent. YOU NEED TO READ AND UNDERSTAND THE SPECS REQUIRED FOR YOUR MACHINE, WHATEVER IT IS, AND USE A PRODUCT THAT MEETS THOSE SPECS. "
I would second that in general but I have no evidence to support the theory that your tractor will not like a good 90 proof bourbon. In moderation of course 😀

Dan

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users