BX FEL bucket tilt re-assigned to blade angle

Mani1147

Equipment
2013 BX2370, belly mower, rear snow blower, rear tiller, front loader
Aug 20, 2013
NB, Canada
Hi Folks, sorry if this has already been discussed but I couldn't seem to find my answer. I am a hydraulic newbie. Here's the deal:
I have a BX2370 with FEL and the bucket Quick Attache. I have a 54" bucket mounted snow blade that I want to physically adapt to my QA which should not be a problem. I want to install quick connect couplings on the tilt cylinder and us the hoses to drive an angle cylinder on the blade.
My question is, when the tilt cylinder is disconnected, will it be locked in position and not be able to move and can these quick couplings withstand enough pressure/stress to hold the plow tilt when moving snow.

Thanks for any info
Rob in NB, CA

nikonman

Equipment
L5460, LA1055
May 21, 2014
Zeigler, IL USA
I don't know if that will work or not. I have a third function remote on my L5460 for just such an occasion. One would think that what you are proposing should work, I have never tried it though.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
That should work in theory. Once you have it at the right angle and you remove the hoses, the angle wont change unless you have a leak in the fittings. The only caution I would have would be if you do put a lot of pressure on that angle cylinder you could damage the seals in the quick disconnects. They are made to stop the fluid from draining when disconnected. I dont believe they were made to hold back any real pressure.

The solution if I were you would be to buy two additional disconnects that would be terminated at the fitting (no hose on them). Hook them up to your loose angle fittings and leave them hanging so the pressure is against the fittings you make and not the quick disconnect seals.

Mani1147

Equipment
Aug 20, 2013
NB, Canada
Thanks for the replies guys. I have decide to use a 12VDC 2000lbs winch to ungulate the plow so that I can retain my tilt function. This is handy when banking the snow up high.
I will post a few pics when I'm done.
Cheers
Rob

Mani1147

Equipment
Aug 20, 2013
NB, Canada
Hi folks, I finished my angling blade project this weekend. Built an adapter plate to fit onto the BX FEL Quick Attach. Picked up a 3000lbs - 5/16" cable winch on sale at Canadian tire. I tested and all seems fine now but the real test will be in a couple months on a cold morning when I need to get to work and its -25C with 2ft of snow on the ground ...!

Cheers
Rob

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi folks, I finished my angling blade project this weekend. Built an adapter plate to fit onto the BX FEL Quick Attach. Picked up a 3000lbs - 5/16" cable winch on sale at Canadian tire. I tested and all seems fine now but the real test will be in a couple months on a cold morning when I need to get to work and its -25C with 2ft of snow on the ground ...!

Cheers
Rob

Very nice work......one question however - since the cable is the only thing holding it left and right, do you think the tension will be affected and the blade will rock back and forth when it hits something "real"? If you placed two idler pulleys spring loaded that would always spool the cable in the right spot and keep the tension tight?

Attachments

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Interesting design, but like Rob I have to question if that will really withstand the forces involved while plowing.
I'd suggest you look into electric diverter's so you can effectively split your dump/curl circuit into another one for the plow angle.
----------------
The Ultimate Diverter Valve Kit
KBOGH/BoltOnHooks LLC is proud to announce what we believe is the Ultimate Diverter Valve Kit for the avid do-it-yourselfer. This kit is custom made for us, and offers many features no other companies product can match. This kit will easily fit just about any tractor, and is perfect to power/operate your loader mounted plow or grapple project, or even the chute rotation and elevation on a snowblower when you have limited remotes available. Here are just a few reasons why we believe our product is the best available:
• Custom engineered and CNC machined in the USA from a solid billet of 6061 aluminum material.
• Port spacing and placement are optimized for the easiest mounting options and smallest footprint available.
• Includes five 1/4" mounting holes to fit any situation.
• Solenoid coils are rated for constant duty.
• Includes a high quality jacketed wiring harness, with sealed automotive grade connectors placed at the perfect place to facilitate easy loader removal. Dust caps are provided as well to keep connectors clean when unplugged. No more cheap crimp-on connectors or home-brew wiring needed. Just find a 12vdc power source (switched off with the key preferably) for a simple hookup.
• Includes a very simple and effective joystick mounted switch that's waterproof and easy to operate with gloves on. No more makeshift buttons or expensive joystick handles are needed.
• Includes adhesive backed rubber tape for under the switch and valve body, helps keep things in place and protect finishes.
• Includes UV resistant cable/wire/zip ties for neat and tidy installation of wiring.
• Detailed instructions and theory of operation.

Specifications:
• Maximum Flow: 10 GPM Max
• Maximum Pressure: 3000 PSI
• Voltage: 12 VDC
• Current Draw: 4 Amps Max
• Ports: 3/8” (-06) ORB (SAE) x6
• Electrical Connections: Deutsch DT style sealed x2
• Mounting Holes: 1/4” x5
• Overall Size: 4”w, x 4.76”h, x 3.33”d
• Weight: 3 lbs, 12.25 oz (valve body alone)

Attachments

Mani1147

Equipment
Aug 20, 2013
NB, Canada
Hi 85Hokie, yes I was thinking of something like an idler pulley, even only on one side, just something to give a little slack if need be.

And Kenny, that would be the ultimate setup rite there for sure. I was thinking of going that route as well but couldn't source the parts needed. This looks like next fall's upgrade....!!

Thanks for the feedback guys and I'll post back when the snow falls.
Cheers
Rob

Mani1147

Equipment
Aug 20, 2013
NB, Canada
I built a couple spring loaded shackles last night, will see how they work in keeping the cable under tension. Thanks for the idea 85Hokie.

Cheers
Rob

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
looks interesting. Should work. If cable does slide it shouldnt be hard to recenter. My plow truck has a manual turn-lock. Been thinking about some sort of turn mechanism. But i get somewhat aggressive. Probably hit 30 kph when really going.

Last edited: