BX 25D failed fuel pump......again!

SyNtAxx

Equipment
Kubota BX25D-1 TLBM + Woods RB60 Blade + Grass Catcher
Oct 27, 2015
Kennett Square
O.k....so earlier this summer around late july the factory installed fuel pump died.....I managed to get the machine to limp back to garage.

I called the dealer after replacing filters and doi g some diags. I was able to convince a dealer which i hadnt purchased the machine from to replace the faulty unit under warranty based on my diagnosis. Great...put pump on and bam front filter by engine fills up and engi e fires up....life is grand again.

Fast forward.....less than 25 hours later same exact issues and symptoms again. Engine wont run under load and eventually will stop running all together. Issue is...tractor warranty expired last month and im not so certain this would fall under powertrain warranty.

Regardless....to fail with less than 25 hours is pitiful. Do they really fail tbis frequently? Is there a substitute for official kubota lift pump? frustrated.

Nick

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
I'd drain and rinse your fuel tank, blow out the fuel lines, replace the filters and verify you're getting good voltage and ground to the pump. Way too easy to drop something in the BX tank.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If the pump has failed, you may be able to get it replaced under Parts Warranty.

SyNtAxx

Equipment
Oct 27, 2015
Kennett Square
Thanks guys. Anybody know what psi these pumps are supplying? I thought I recall seeing 4-6psi?

NIck

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks guys. Anybody know what psi these pumps are supplying? I thought I recall seeing 4-6psi?

NIck
I think your right..... 4 to 6 psi

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
My zd326 pump failed at about 1000h and I replaced it with an ebay aftermarket pump for twenty some dollars (800h ago).
My zd331 had some aggravating fuel issues, that resulted in installing a Mr Gasket 12d fuel pump that operates at a very slightly higher pressure and gph (4-7 psi, 35 gph). It has worked well for the past 250h, and at $50 is still a lot cheaper than the over priced oem pump.

SyNtAxx

Equipment
Oct 27, 2015
Kennett Square
Well, I managed to get the dealer to warranty the part again. They didn't require much in the way of arm twisting. I simply stated I put it on in August and has less than 25 hours on it. It probably helped that I spoke to the same person who resolved the parts issue the first time. Kudos to that dealer!

I also ordered a spare pump to keep on the shelf (from Amazon) so if/when I have another failure I wont be offline until new one is installed.

Thanks guys,

Nick

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I sold my BX but had all sorts of similar problems. I measured the pressure of the pumps and off brands gave a pressure of 6 or more psi, while factory pumps gave 3 psi and lasted longer. Placing a larger first filter gave longer life to the pumps.

SyNtAxx

Equipment
Oct 27, 2015
Kennett Square
Well I got the new pump and blew the lines out...again and replaced the rear filter. The new rear filter no longer fills up, so there has to be something blocking the inlet now in the tank, no matter how hard I try I always manage to make a mess with diesel..now I wreak and so does my garage. I'll need to drain the damn tank again and plan for a remove. I'm assuming the best thing to clean tank is diesel... :mad: I guess I can at least take this time to make the fuel line from the tank longer and install a shut off for changing filters. I got an acre of turf waiting on me.

nick

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Well I got the new pump and blew the lines out...again and replaced the rear filter. The new rear filter no longer fills up, so there has to be something blocking the inlet now in the tank, no matter how hard I try I always manage to make a mess with diesel..now I wreak and so does my garage. I'll need to drain the damn tank again and plan for a remove. I'm assuming the best thing to clean tank is diesel... :mad: I guess I can at least take this time to make the fuel line from the tank longer and install a shut off for changing filters. I got an acre of turf waiting on me.

nick
what you can do is blow a "little" air back up the line, when I say little, like a small bit a pressure - no more than 10psi - loosen the fill cap, and just give a little blow up the line, betcha fuel will come gushing.

now this does not fix your problem - only makes it happy for a while! IF algae then maybe you can solve it, if something foreign - it will show it's ugly head again!

Let us know what you find out

SyNtAxx

Equipment
Oct 27, 2015
Kennett Square
I did blow air back into the tank several times. After blowing the lines back a few times and still not getting the filters to fill with fuel I started looking else ware given that I was able to drain the tank via gravity from the rear fuel filter.

What seem to be keeping the filters from filling up was some sort of built up pressure, perhaps the air in the lines was holding the fuel at bay. I know the the system is supposed to be self purging but I've not had the time to locate a diagram on how that is supposed to work.

So I began to focus my attention under the hood for the issue. I had already blown back the line from the front fuel filter back to the pump and it was clear. I decided to find (what I assume was) the return line to the tank and give it a gentle blow back. I then turned the key on and watched the front filter, no fill. I put my ear to the tank to see if I could hear fuel return, nothing. I did get fuel in a steady stream coming out of that nipple into a bottle...I just assume that was extra fuel from the fuel rail.

I then put the return line back and tool the line off the mechanical injection pump and got some fuel to drip out...not much but wasn't expecting much either. I then put that end of the hose into my fuel catch container and turned on the key and the pump filled the filter up! I buttoned everything up and fired her up and she ran like normal.

I soaked the machine with a nice coating of simple green on the engine and all diesel stank areas and went and had lunch, came back and rinsed her clean. *shrug* I dunno, I'm not definate on what the cause was..but she ran no issues today for a few hours. I'm running the OEM/warrantied replacement pump and I have a spare pump sourced from amazon for any future pump failures. I then spent 10 minutes cursing and struggling that monster 60in deck under the machine and worst than that was getting the shaft in place which is the worst part of the entire process...ugg

Thanks,

Nick

countrynerd

Equipment
BX25D, L3301
Jun 6, 2016
thumb, MI, USA
what you can do is blow a "little" air back up the line, when I say little, like a small bit a pressure - no more than 10psi - loosen the fill cap, and just give a little blow up the line, betcha fuel will come gushing.

now this does not fix your problem - only makes it happy for a while! IF algae then maybe you can solve it, if something foreign - it will show it's ugly head again!

Let us know what you find out

Agree sounds like algae problem. Help to see what the filters look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk