Buying first Kubota (used)

Bonez

Equipment
Kubota with LA211
Apr 26, 2024
Desoto Mo
Hello, I am new here and to Kubota tractors. I am Buying a Kubota tractor with a LA211 bucket lift from a childhood friend of mine , I dont know what the tractor model is yet (BX1800/BX1830 ? ) other than its a Diesel 4x4 until we meet next month to pick it up. I am just wanting to get to know more about them to make things easier here on my 6 acres with maintenance ( Driveway grading, culvert upgrade/repair, and moving/building dirt ) Attached is a photo

Attachments

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Start by watching Messicks youtube videos, especially ones on the BX tractors.

Here is one to start:

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Definitely a BX of some sort.

They're a good machine. I had a BX2350 for a few years. If you're doing heavy lifting put a bit more air in the front tires, they are reasonably small and easy to squash. And ballast the rear - get a weight box or a heavy implement to hang on the back. I personally prefer a weight box - smaller and easier to get around.

Does it have a mower deck? Be nice to have.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonez

Equipment
Kubota with LA211
Apr 26, 2024
Desoto Mo
Definitely a BX of some sort.

They're a good machine. I had a BX2350 for a few years. If you're doing heavy lifting put a bit more air in the front tires, they are reasonably small and easy to squash. And ballast the rear - get a weight box or a heavy implement to hang on the back. I personally prefer a weight box - smaller and easier to get around.

Does it have a mower deck? Be nice to have.
Not sure if it has the mower deck or not yet, that was the only pictures they sent me so far, I have a rider for cutting grass so not really concerned with the deck ( might find one later if needed ) but Id love to get the backhoe attachment for sure ! Ill know more when I go to meet up and pick it up. From my understanding it wasnt used much and just sitting in the barn.

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
Welcome, Bonez! Keep us updated! (-:

Reactions: 1 user

Bonez

Equipment
Kubota with LA211
Apr 26, 2024
Desoto Mo
starting with reading through the operators manual is rarely never a waste of time for any newbie.

congrats btw!

I agree 1000%, I am OCD with maintenance on everything ( actually taking the car to have the whole front end replaced next week. But it ir has moving parts it will be lubed top to bottom. I know Ill change the oil and whatever when I get it regardless so I have peace of mind and I know its done and when. My first Diesel ( but not new to Diesels ) as I did wrench in the past.

Bonez

Equipment
Kubota with LA211
Apr 26, 2024
Desoto Mo
Welcome, Bonez! Keep us updated! (-:
Thank you, Ill be posting quite a bit. My first tractor ( Im 56 soon ) so Ill have questions especially for any mods or ways to do this n that... and proble some issues as Im sure itll have some? But hopefully not

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
If possible, find out the maintenance history. If this is unavailable and the tractor has been sitting around, plan on changing engine and transmission oil and filters, and draining and refreshing the fuel and fuel filter.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Thank you, Ill be posting quite a bit. My first tractor ( Im 56 soon ) so Ill have questions especially for any mods or ways to do this n that... and proble some issues as Im sure itll have some? But hopefully not
Congratulations! You will find all sorts of labor saving usages on a little plot of land. Backhoes are spendy and they can be a bit hard on the tractor, but I hear once you have one, you’ll always “need” one.

Be careful. Even with a few trips around the sun, there’s sone things to learn about safe tractor operation. I’ve been on them parts of five decades and safety is still a concern.

Bonez

Equipment
Kubota with LA211
Apr 26, 2024
Desoto Mo
Congratulations! You will find all sorts of labor saving usages on a little plot of land. Backhoes are spendy and they can be a bit hard on the tractor, but I hear once you have one, you’ll always “need” one.

Be careful. Even with a few trips around the sun, there’s sone things to learn about safe tractor operation. I’ve been on them parts of five decades and safety is still a concern.
Yes indeed. When you get comfortable is when it gets dangerous... Had some scares with just a regular riding mower so bigger is just going to amplify that. Ive seen some accidents on full sized tractors up close and personal so Ill never be comfortable around them, just confident once I get the feel of it. I dont like hills and slopes, those have me on edge all the time.

Bonez

Equipment
Kubota with LA211
Apr 26, 2024
Desoto Mo
If possible, find out the maintenance history. If this is unavailable and the tractor has been sitting around, plan on changing engine and transmission oil and filters, and draining and refreshing the fuel and fuel filter.
I agree, coming from an older gentleman so Ill find out all I can, hopefully he has all the manuals and any records of maintenance, if not, Ill just refresh it with everything and a good lube job on all moving parts.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Is there reason to think it has a backhoe? They're reasonably rare, and you can't easily retrofit - it either has one when you get it, or it'll pretty much never have one. (I know, in theory you could find a used one with all the subframe and plumbing that's needed to attach it, but you might also win the lottery and buy a brand new BX23s with a backhoe, and that's probably more likely).

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Like others have said, read the manual, twice. Get ready for sticker shock on the oil and filters but its worth every penny. The looks similar to my BX1880 but think its an earlier model from looking at the front. The loader will get you in more trouble than just operating the tractor. If you have never operated one before, make sure your level, ground is solid and don't travel far when the bucket is high. Almost tipped mine and there is a post about someone tipping there BX over. If you do, do NOT try to start it after you get it upright. The guy did and is looking at an engine replacement. Think he posted $10,000 for the replacement. You will love this little guy. From snow removal to moving gravel, dirt, etc.., its capable. Enjoy.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If I remember correctly if the BX did not come with a BH, you cant put one on unless it is an after market, and they are iffy at best. All the very best with the little beasty, it will do more than you ever thought it could,, dose it come with a mower deck ?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
There are a lot of ways to do the same thing and the terminology varies. Whatever tasks you want to do, do some searches on the task to get some ideas before buying implements. Do be careful of size of them. 4ft will probably be your limit with heavier structured implements although you probably can use slightly wider light grader scrapers and blades.

One companies specializes in a lot of BX accessories, BXExpanded. You might cruise by there to get some ideas of useful adds.

Bonez

Equipment
Kubota with LA211
Apr 26, 2024
Desoto Mo
There are a lot of ways to do the same thing and the terminology varies. Whatever tasks you want to do, do some searches on the task to get some ideas before buying implements. Do be careful of size of them. 4ft will probably be your limit with heavier structured implements although you probably can use slightly wider light grader scrapers and blades.

One companies specializes in a lot of BX accessories, BXExpanded. You might cruise by there to get some ideas of useful adds.
Thanks, I did find Bxpand on youtube by accident watching some videos on its operations and things it can do ( how to and comparison ) Ill basically be using it to grade my drive, move some rock ( boulders ) that were washed out from the heavy rain that protected a culvert through the roadway and place a larger culvert inder my drive to handle that water so it doesnt wash over my drive. Everything else is just tidying up the property, maybe some clearing of underbrush if it can handle invasive honeysuckle.

Bonez

Equipment
Kubota with LA211
Apr 26, 2024
Desoto Mo
Is there reason to think it has a backhoe? They're reasonably rare, and you can't easily retrofit - it either has one when you get it, or it'll pretty much never have one. (I know, in theory you could find a used one with all the subframe and plumbing that's needed to attach it, but you might also win the lottery and buy a brand new BX23s with a backhoe, and that's probably more likely).
Its just a dream, some stuff I want to do I just dont need a 4' wide trench, like running some conduit to the garage.