Buying First Kubota L3800HST or JD 3038E? Why

don-tn

Feb 9, 2012
Fairview, TN
I am getting ready to purchase a new tractor for my small farm. I will mainly be using the tractor for grading driveway, moving manure, and bushogging. My property is very hilly. I have priced the both of the above tractors. Both tractors have the Hydrostat Drives and both dealers are going to fill tires with fluid to increase weight.

I am leaning to the L3800HST. The price is virtually the same except JD3038E includes 6 ft. Frontier Box Blade due to the 2-implement promotion. Both JD and Kubota offer 0% financing but Kubota will increase price $1000.00 if I use the financing. JD price will be $1,000.00 less.

Any suggestions on which tractor will be better for my situation? Looking at durability, repair cost, and resale value. I have Kubota Dealers and JD dealers within 15 miles.

Should I get R4 Industrial Tires or Ag tires for my situation?

Thanks for your help.

Don

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I know nothing about that model John Deere, but have owned/own John Deere equipment and quality in my opinion is a wash.

The L3800 has a history of jerky 3PH when loaded and raised slowly, so have the dealer put something like a rotary cutter and try it out at the dealer to see how it works.

The "right tire" is one of the most frequently debated topics there is. I use Industrial tires on SCUT/CUT and Ag on UT/Ag tractors.

don-tn

Feb 9, 2012
Fairview, TN
Thanks for the information. I am leaning toward the R4 Industrial Tires. Anybody else have any information on why Kubota L3800HST would be a better fit than the JD 3038E?

Stone

Jan 13, 2011
Deckerville, MI
www.farmdepot.biz
If I remember correctly, the JD 3038E does not have a quick connect on the loader booms making it very hard to remove. When I use my rotary cutter/tiller/rear blade I will often remove my loader to make the tractor shorter and more maneuverable. Also, I do not like the loader bouncing around on the front of my tractor when I am not using it. I would also make sure to get the skid steer style quick connect bucket. Also, no folding ROPS. Deere does make a nice tractor, drive them both and choose what tractor will work best for you.

I believe the 3038e tractor is smaller in size also, more compairable to the B3300 in size.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I recently bought a Kubota L3800 and love it! Great tractor and around here it was the best value in it's size.

I got Ag tires because we have some wet bottom land (mud) and need more traction. R-4s should do ya fine.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
If I remember correctly, the JD 3038E does not have a quick connect on the loader booms making it very hard to remove. When I use my rotary cutter/tiller/rear blade I will often remove my loader to make the tractor shorter and more maneuverable. Also, I do not like the loader bouncing around on the front of my tractor when I am not using it. I would also make sure to get the skid steer style quick connect bucket. Also, no folding ROPS. Deere does make a nice tractor, drive them both and choose what tractor will work best for you.

I believe the 3038e tractor is smaller in size also, more compairable to the B3300 in size.
I believe you're right. I stopped by the JD dealer to look at a used L3400 and he told me the comparable JD was a smaller tractor.

don-tn

Feb 9, 2012
Fairview, TN
I got my final pricing with trade in. The JD3038E is about $2000.00 less and includes 6 ft. Frontier Box Blade due to the 2-implement promotion. Both JD and Kubota offer 0% financing but Kubota will increase price $1000.00 if I use the financing. I will be financing and that is why the Kubota is going to cost about $2000.00 more.

Any suggestions on which tractor will be better for my situation? Is the Kubota worth paying $2000.00 more and also having to buy a box blade. Looking at durability, repair cost, and resale value. I have Kubota Dealers and JD dealers within 15 miles.

Thanks for your help.

Don

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Have ya looked close at both tractors and compared weight? I believe the JD is smaller, but not sure.

If they are the same size, see if the Kubota guy will get closer to the JD price.

Personally, I'd rather have the Kubota, but JD makes a good rig also.

don-tn

Feb 9, 2012
Fairview, TN
I was leaning toward the L3800 but I don't know if it is worth $2,000 difference plus I will be getting a 5 ft Frontier Box Blade with the JD.

I am not concerned about being able to remove the FEL. JD has quick release bucket. I am concerned that is a little smaller and may not have the lift capacity of the Kubota.

I don't know if these concerns are worth $2000 and a new box blade.

Do you think resale value will be as good on the JD as the Kubota?

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I don't know much about JD, but I'd expect the resale value to be good.

$2000 more, for more tractor, isn't something I'd be too concerned about. :cool:

ColdRider

Equipment
L3800 Hst,QA fel, B7200Hst,(sold) tiller, bushhog, finish mower, snow plow blade
Jan 23, 2011
Northern Maine
Orange is much easier to find in the tall grass....:D

I tried both before I bought my 3800. I may be a bit biased towards Kubota after owning one for 17 years, but I just couldn't get away from the non- removable loader on the Deere. It does come off but it looked like too much work for me.

There was a video on youtube comparing the tractors that was pretty interesting. I don't htink you can go wrong with either choice really.

Good luck. CR

Whitesails

Equipment
Kubota L3800 Front Loader LA524
Jan 19, 2012
Terrace BC Canada
I have owned a new L3800 on small farm since last October. I have used the bucket a great deal over the last while to plow snow and it has worked very well. Here in Northwestern BC we have had a ton of snow this year. Our local ski hill, Shames Mountain, is up at the top for having the most snow for a hill in North America this year. Thankfully a few very experienced equipment operators gave me some timely snow handling tips.

Prior to my purchase I test drove a slightly smaller sized John Deere and found it less to my liking. After that experience, along with some seasoned advice from my brother-in-law farmer, I decided to go with a Kubota. The machine handles well, has lots of lifting power and has been a pleasure to operate. I personaly believe that this small tractor currently sets the standard for acerage and small farm applications. At my time of purchase the dealership informed me that here in Western Canada it is Kubota's number one seller.

I hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I bought my L3800 two months ago and was a bit concerned about it's size. Thinking I needed a slightly larger tractor, but every time I use it, I'm impressed with what it can do. I have no regrets with the 3800 and plan to keep it a long, long time. :cool:

searay

Equipment
L3200, GMC Yukon, rotary cutter, pallet forks, box blade, post hole digger.
Dec 28, 2010
Courtice, Ontario, Canada
I purchased an L3200 which I believe is the same frame as the L3800 and I looked at the same model of J.D. that you are looking at. This was going to be my first tractor and I had 0 tractor knowledge and background, so I also had no preference for either a J.D. or a Kubota. When I compared the two models the more I realized that the J.D. was an economy or base model. And the biggest thing that turned me off the J.D. was the plastic hood and fenders if I recall correctly. I couldn't be happier with my choice so my advice to you is to compare the two very closely. Saying that, when I purchased I think that the price between my L3200 was very close to the J.D. model you are talking about. Hope this helps.

mlatour3300

Equipment
B3300SU
Dec 18, 2011
west lafayette, indiana
I got my final pricing with trade in. The JD3038E is about $2000.00 less and includes 6 ft. Frontier Box Blade due to the 2-implement promotion. Both JD and Kubota offer 0% financing but Kubota will increase price $1000.00 if I use the financing. I will be financing and that is why the Kubota is going to cost about $2000.00 more.

Any suggestions on which tractor will be better for my situation? Is the Kubota worth paying $2000.00 more and also having to buy a box blade. Looking at durability, repair cost, and resale value. I have Kubota Dealers and JD dealers within 15 miles.

Thanks for your help.

Don
Don,

I'm not sure you will find much difference in overall "durability or repair cost" but down the road, there will likely be a difference in overall resale. I was a JD guy and went with the B series because in my opinion, JD had nothing really to compete with the series, i.e., two range hydro.

Keep in mind, you are looking at one of Deere's lowest priced units, two range hydro speed and loader challenges in getting it off. If you look at one 20-series my opinion would be difference, but Deere guys like bells/whistles and the unit you are looking at has a smaller audience compared to the other units.

Good Luck

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
Why not take the Written quote from JD to the Kubota dealer and explain why you will go with JD? Price raising due to finance vs cash is BS. I did similar with JD and Kubota, and the kubota dealer I am working with did what it took to get the business. However, another Kubota dealer closer to the house would not even match the other K dealer's price.

If they want the business most will try and work with you.

BUT, I did just notice you mentioned a "TRADE"....when that comes into play that changes everything....I sold my old one out rite then went and dealed...I might ad I had mine sold in two days. This is the season for people buying tractors. I'd move the old one then go get what you want, zero trade makes for a more powerful bargaining tool.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Don-tn, I know it would be a drive but you should call my buddy at Tag Equipment in Chattanooga. When I bought my first 9000 they beat my local dealer by about $4000 and on my 2nd 9000 it was around $3000 or so. Not only better prices but the service has been second to none.

If you're interested call Eric, 423-265-0475, 423-265-0472. Tell him Phil Jackson sent you.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Just my two cents worth......I have an L3800 and really love it. It's a real work horse. I went with Kubota cause they make all their parts and as of late - most are made in Georgia. The resale value will be better down the road with a Kubota. I also heard that the JD engines are made in Mexico by a new company that hasn't been affiliated with JD before.

I have the R4 Industrial tires on my unit and I find that they are very easy on the grass - but work well in the sandy soil I have here. They have done surprising well - also - in the snow and I really don't think I will purchase chains. Be sure and get the Quick Attach loader. Also I was debating whether the HST would be best or a gear tranny. I'm sooooooooooo glad that I followed the advice of the OTT folks and got the HST. Using a FEL and having HST is a perfect combination. My tractor is loaded with RimGuard and there's really no need to add a rear implement for additional ballast - unless you really want to.

In short.....go with the Orange and join the elite club of Kubota owners.

Good Luck.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Why not take the Written quote from JD to the Kubota dealer and explain why you will go with JD? Price raising due to finance vs cash is BS. I did similar with JD and Kubota, and the kubota dealer I am working with did what it took to get the business. However, another Kubota dealer closer to the house would not even match the other K dealer's price.

If they want the business most will try and work with you.
+1 for this advice.
If the Kubota dealer has any brains in his head he will take the deal.
Tell him if he is willing to match the price on the tractor, you will buy the scraper from him.

Don't factor your trade in, go straight deal and sell your current rig privatley.

Let us know which route you take.