Buying a B7500 TLB, sight unseen.

Doughboyea

Aug 28, 2024
Central CT
First time doing this, buying a tractor out of state, online, via FB marketplace. The same size Kubota's in my area (CT) are in the mid $20k range, used, but outside CT, I'm seeing them $8k-$10k less for similar size.

So my concerns are:
a. how to ensure I get what's advertised.
b. what questions to ask seller, pictures/videos to take. Asked him to take pictures of serial numbers, rubber hydro lines, rust areas, and videos of it being used. On his ad, he has a video walk around with it running.
c. Taxes... not sure if he's a private seller or dealer, but I assume that payment is on me per CT tax law upon filing my taxes.
d. Shipping. I used ushipit to get quotes and got a crap ton, lowest was in the $850 range for 511 miles from OH to CT.
e. Asking is $13,500 for 700 hrs on a 2003 B7500 HST with a LA272 loader and 4672A backhoe. Seller states no leaks, runs well, only damage is some rips in seat. I don't know enough to say it's a steal or average price for a 20 year old compact Kubota.

Let me hear your thoughts on this one. I'm eager to buy but no one is eager to get ripped off.

Before anyone asks, I plan to use it for bush/stump removals, trenching, foundation digging and grading. Plus, other useful things over time.

Attachments

Oleracer

Equipment
B2150 Kubota LA 350 750 Woods S250 Bobcat 300x deere
Jul 18, 2024
CT
I think maybe keep looking around CT. They are around here. Just bought a b2150 hoe and loader with 200 hours like brandnew. 13k. I had at least 5 different ones to chose from. No sales tax collected unless a dealer. If you find one in NH no tax at dealer if you pickup. Try state area quotes are around 400 bucks back to CT if you need hauled
He good luck! Also here in CT
IMG_8599.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
First time doing this, buying a tractor out of state, online, via FB marketplace. The same size Kubota's in my area (CT) are in the mid $20k range, used, but outside CT, I'm seeing them $8k-$10k less for similar size.

So my concerns are:
b. what questions to ask seller, pictures/videos to take. Asked him to take pictures of serial numbers, rubber hydro lines, rust areas, and videos of it being used. On his ad, he has a video walk around with it running.
c. Taxes... not sure if he's a private seller or dealer, but I assume that payment is on me per CT tax law upon filing my taxes.
d. Shipping. I used ushipit to get quotes and got a crap ton, lowest was in the $850 range for 511 miles from OH to CT.
e. Asking is $13,500 for 700 hrs on a 2003 B7500 HST with a LA272 loader and 4672A backhoe. Seller states no leaks, runs well, only damage is some rips in seat. I don't know enough to say it's a steal or average price for a 20 year old compact Kubota.

Let me hear your thoughts on this one. I'm eager to buy but no one is eager to get ripped off.

Before anyone asks, I plan to use it for bush/stump removals, trenching, foundation digging and grading. Plus, other useful things over time.
IMHO you would be committing the cardinal sin of first time tractor buyers!
The appropriate mantra is: "BUY Enough Tractor", and for the work you describe, a 20 year old, 21HP tractor is likely not going to be adequate.
Your 2nd tractor will be the result of your learning experience, and will be larger/more capable.
I have been told that U-Ship is "sketchy" at best.

Info: In 2019, I bought my 2006 L48 TLB (48HP) from a private seller 350 miles away.
(I already had, and have kept, a nearly pristine 32HP Ford FEL)
I was fortunate to have an old college roommate who lived nearby, do the L48 TLB inspection for me.
Had that not been possible, I likely would have passed.
I trailered the tractor home myself!

Last edited:

Doughboyea

Aug 28, 2024
Central CT
IMHO you would be committing the cardinal sin of first time tractor buyers!
The appropriate mantra is: "BUY Enough Tractor", and for the work you describe, a 20 year old, 21HP tractor is not sufficient.
Your 2nd tractor will be the result of your learning experience, and will be larger/more capable.
I have found U-Ship to be "sketchy" at best.
Thank you. My property isn't big enough to go any larger on the tractor. I'm actually embarrassed to say how small it is for fear of people saying I don't need a tractor. I may not even be able to turn around in several parts. I'm passing on a BX as for less money, I can get something beefier so if, when, I ever get more property, I'll have the rig for it. And, like you said, I can always go larger and learn from my first purchase. But, honestly, even the B7500 is too big for what I want to do. My trenching is maybe 120LF max, the trees are at most 4" diameter and the foundation is a 12'x20' area. I'm just tired of paying others for what I can do... if I had something to work with.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thank you. My property isn't big enough to go any larger on the tractor. I'm actually embarrassed to say how small it is for fear of people saying I don't need a tractor. I may not even be able to turn around in several parts. I'm passing on a BX as for less money, I can get something beefier so if, when, I ever get more property, I'll have the rig for it. And, like you said, I can always go larger and learn from my first purchase. But, honestly, even the B7500 is too big for what I want to do. My trenching is maybe 120LF max, the trees are at most 4" diameter and the foundation is a 12'x20' area. I'm just tired of paying others for what I can do... if I had something to work with.
It appears that you DO have your needs sized up.
Try to be patient, and look for the machine you want, closer to home!
DO NOT buy ANY tractor unseen.
Try to buy newer than 20 years old.
At 20 years, some parts may become an issue.
Look, before you take the leap, to buy!

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
As someone that did the dumb **** and bought his current low-hour tractor sight unseen and had it shipped via UShip, I got a smoking good deal and the tractor was exactly as advertised. No complaints. I requested and received a LOT of pictures, as well as the well-documented service history. The seller was a private school, so I wasn't too worried about a questionable seller or transferring money to someone I didn't know.

It was a gamble, but for what I paid, I could've afforded to replace a LOT of expensive parts and still been on right-side up on the price.

Doughboyea

Aug 28, 2024
Central CT
As someone that did the dumb **** and bought his current low-hour tractor sight unseen and had it shipped via UShip, I got a smoking good deal and the tractor was exactly as advertised. No complaints. I requested and received a LOT of pictures, as well as the well-documented service history. The seller was a private school, so I wasn't too worried about a questionable seller or transferring money to someone I didn't know.

It was a gamble, but for what I paid, I could've afforded to replace a LOT of expensive parts and still been on right-side up on the price.
Thanks, that gives me some assurance. I have reached out to the seller, who, when posting the ad, did a video shot around the running tractor and from his other ads as well as the background in the video, looks like he's a retailer. I've asked him twice about it, but he hasn't responded to that question. I've asked the following questions, and his responses are below in CAPS:

Q1: Could you tell me about the Tractor's maintenance. NO ANSWER.
Q2: Condition of hydro lines, rust or leaks? NO ANSWER, but video states no leaks.
Q3: Have you ever delt with a shipper before, do you recommend any? CUSTOMER SECURES THERE OWN TRANSPORTATION BUT WE HAVE DELT WITH SEVERAL, USHIP BEING THE MOST COMMON.
Q4: Are you a retailer, do you offer financing? YOU WOULD HAVE TO SECURE YOUR OWN FINANCING AS THESE ARE USED TRACTORS AND TRACTORS DON'T HAVE A TITLE SO THEY ARE CONSIDERED UNSECURED LOANS.
Q5: How would I go about purchasing this B7500? NO ANSWER.
Q6: Is there a contract to sign, taxes, warranty (even if for a short period)? THERE WOULD BE A BILL OF SALE. I DON'T BELIEVE THERE IS ANY WARRANTY LEFT, I'LL CHECK. I CAN SEND ANY PICS OR VIDEOS YOU NEED.
Q7: For my clarification, are you selling this on your own or are you a retailer? NO ANSWER.
Q8: Do you know the history, what it was used for? NO ANSWER.
Q9: Thank you for offering to take photos and videos... looking for photos of serial numbers of the loader, tractor and backhoe, rubber hydro lines and tires. Photos of rust to help gauge condition. Video of the tractor driving (using 4x4, locking diff, etc) around and loader/backhoe functionality. NO ANSWER (been 7 hrs...)

Maybe I am asking too many questions, maybe he's busy, I don' t know. I'm ready with cash for this purchase, but just want to hear about the damn thing so that I feel comfortable about forking over the funds.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

So my concerns are:

Good day.

In full transparency, I myself would not buy sight unseen unless someone I trust acting in my behalf to checkout(so I am very biased)…that’s just me and my comfort level. I have missed out on really good deals because I am difficult…that’s ok, it’s my money. It does just as much good in my pocket as someone elses. Deals are always fine until something goes wrong. That’s when you find out if you are a good buyer.

My question is really based on trust…how much do you trust the seller and if something wrong or not right, how would you recover funds? There is not a right or wrong answer…but it’s your money, your risk (all of it actually), and the reward is up in air(depends on the result)…doesn’t matter what anyone on the forum thinks unless they are helping to pay, represent you as a agent/buyer or recover funds should something go wrong.

Why not drive and check and haul home if ok? Or fly and check and ship home?

Basically good luck.

Doughboyea

Aug 28, 2024
Central CT
If it's such a good deal, why isn't somebody more local buying it.
I don't think I wrote that it was, more that I am not sure. It hasn't been up for long, it caught my eye because it didn't look beat up and had relatively low hours (700+). Maybe the seller isn't responding to my questions because he has many other respondents to deal with who are local. I don't know....

Doughboyea

Aug 28, 2024
Central CT
....Why not drive and check and haul home if ok? Or fly and check and ship home?

Basically good luck.
That's always the issue, isn't it? With any private party sale, you rarely get any recourse if something goes wrong, right? So in this light, it's the same either way, buying in person or from afar, same recourse.... none. Only difference here is the review in person, as you wrote, can I trust this dude to be honest? Most likely not, so asking for pics and vids seems to be a fair request.

But why not drive or fly to check out and haul home?

I do not have a pickup capable of hauling that weight. I have a Jeep Cherokee, who's max haul is 3,000 lbs (trailer included). And for a trailer, I have one that is just under the max GVW for my Jeep, but isn't even big enough to carry the fully assembled rig. Not to mention that I have a full time job so taking off isn't possible that quickly. Then come expenses, driving or flying then renting, tolls, all come at a cost which increases my purchase price into this. I could mail him a certified check in the morning, if only I could see it functioning as intended.

Oleracer

Equipment
Jul 18, 2024
CT
Thanks, that gives me some assurance. I have reached out to the seller, who, when posting the ad, did a video shot around the running tractor and from his other ads as well as the background in the video, looks like he's a retailer. I've asked him twice about it, but he hasn't responded to that question. I've asked the following questions, and his responses are below in CAPS:

Q2: Condition of hydro lines, rust or leaks? NO ANSWER, but video states no leaks.
Q3: Have you ever delt with a shipper before, do you recommend any? CUSTOMER SECURES THERE OWN TRANSPORTATION BUT WE HAVE DELT WITH SEVERAL, USHIP BEING THE MOST COMMON.
Q4: Are you a retailer, do you offer financing? YOU WOULD HAVE TO SECURE YOUR OWN FINANCING AS THESE ARE USED TRACTORS AND TRACTORS DON'T HAVE A TITLE SO THEY ARE CONSIDERED UNSECURED LOANS.
Q6: Is there a contract to sign, taxes, warranty (even if for a short period)? THERE WOULD BE A BILL OF SALE. I DON'T BELIEVE THERE IS ANY WARRANTY LEFT, I'LL CHECK. I CAN SEND ANY PICS OR VIDEOS YOU NEED.
Q7: For my clarification, are you selling this on your own or are you a retailer? NO ANSWER.
Q9: Thank you for offering to take photos and videos... looking for photos of serial numbers of the loader, tractor and backhoe, rubber hydro lines and tires. Photos of rust to help gauge condition. Video of the tractor driving (using 4x4, locking diff, etc) around and loader/backhoe functionality. NO ANSWER (been 7 hrs...)

Maybe I am asking too many questions, maybe he's busy, I don' t know. I'm ready with cash for this purchase, but just want to hear about the damn thing so that I feel comfortable about forking over the funds.
These tractors dont last long locally. I dont even bother with buyers that are not local. Mostly scammers and people that need hand holding … Cant pay cash…Needs financing… has too ask wife... Want me too ship…no matter the equipment ask tons if questions. Local you can just say come see it.
If it doesn’t sell
Local in 3-4-5 days its probably a pos the flipper is lying to you.

probably better to forget that one

Last edited:

Oleracer

Equipment
Jul 18, 2024
CT
If it's such a good deal, why isn't somebody more local buying it.
Exactly… search need to be narrowed to a 100 mile area so you can get there cash in hand with a trailer.

Oleracer

Equipment
Jul 18, 2024
CT
That's always the issue, isn't it? With any private party sale, you rarely get any recourse if something goes wrong, right? So in this light, it's the same either way, buying in person or from afar, same recourse.... none. Only difference here is the review in person, as you wrote, can I trust this dude to be honest? Most likely not, so asking for pics and vids seems to be a fair request.

But why not drive or fly to check out and haul home?

I do not have a pickup capable of hauling that weight. I have a Jeep Cherokee, who's max haul is 3,000 lbs (trailer included). And for a trailer, I have one that is just under the max GVW for my Jeep, but isn't even big enough to carry the fully assembled rig. Not to mention that I have a full time job so taking off isn't possible that quickly. Then come expenses, driving or flying then renting, tolls, all come at a cost which increases my purchase price into this. I could mail him a certified check in the morning, if only I could see it functioning as intended.
Your not ready yet.. prime person to be taken advantage of.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Skip t!
This tractor deal is not meant for you!
Find a tractor that you can see before you buy.
Even then: Be careful to avoid a scammer or thief.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I see a lot of people on here who wouldn't buy a machine they haven't personally inspected, and who are very risk averse. Perhaps that is just a US thing, but in life and in my country, I find most people are honest. Perhaps in a bigger country life starts to get dominated by scammers (not that most people are scammers, but perhaps most people who advertise things online are).

If the guy has shown a new video (i.e. one not posted before) and that's at least somewhat showing what you asked then it seems likely he has the tractor.

7 hours isn't long to respond if that person has a job or is out farming or whatever. Many people aren't at their device all day, even if they're selling something. I wouldn't mark someone down for not jumping to respond - I don't see that as meaning they're a scammer - surely a scammer would be pretty quick to respond. The questions you're asking are a bit detailed, and some may flag you as being high maintenance - asking about things like bill of sale, how you buy it etc may suggest that you don't know what you're doing. A private seller may not even have sensible answers to those questions - they're just selling their tractor, why would they know what bill of sale it has? And unless they're a dealer it's not going to come with a warranty (and a dealer selling to someone out of state is going to have issues with a warranty too - how would they give effect to the warranty without you shipping it back to them?)

Buying a tractor you can personally inspect may be more suitable for you if this has you feeling things are risky. But I think there absolutely are people who buy tractors sight unseen, and do fine with it.

Perhaps you can do a video call with them, do the walkaaround, and talk to them directly about it? I've had that work well for me before both as a buyer and a seller.