Bush hog for B7510?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Lastnight I answered a call for help from an ad on Craigslist. This gal was in a bit of a bind with all the rain lately and her horse barn was getting sloppy wet with rain and animal pee. She was looking for someone to bring her mulch, so I emailed her and told her I'd be happy to take a look at her barn and offer up advise.

Well I ended up meeting with her today and I took my mom with me as my resident barn expert. I saw a quick and easy fix to help her out for now and I climbed onto her B7510 and back dragged the isle down the barn and got all the crap out of there and then scrapped up some fresh new dirt to build a berm as a temp fix to channel the water away next time it rains.

I told her I wasn't all to worried about earning money since I used her tractor to do the work and said sometimes its just people helping people. And I was really worried about the animals. A wet floor can cause all kinds of hoof problems.

She is new to tractors and just recently bought the B7510 5 days ago and wasn't really sure how to used it. I gave her a crash course while I was there.

Anyway to make a long story even longer what size bush hog would be ideal to use behind a B7510. It's a 21hp. I'm thinking a 5 footer would work but I'm not 100% sure.

BenRich

Equipment
BX1870D w/FEL, Land Pride FDR1648 Mower, Land Pride RBO560 Scrape Blade
Eric, as I'm a newbie with tractors I cannot provide any sound advise on bush hog size.

I do want to offer my thanks to you for helping this lady out. Ultimately it is all about helping others.

Thanks again.

Ben

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
My 26 HP only recommends a 4' but I think that's conservative because they don't what your going to be mowing. With 21 hp gross your prob talking only 16 @ the pto so 4' would prob be the max.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Lastnight I answered a call for help from an ad on Craigslist. This gal was in a bit of a bind with all the rain lately and her horse barn was getting sloppy wet with rain and animal pee. She was looking for someone to bring her mulch, so I emailed her and told her I'd be happy to take a look at her barn and offer up advise.

Well I ended up meeting with her today and I took my mom with me as my resident barn expert. I saw a quick and easy fix to help her out for now and I climbed onto her B7510 and back dragged the isle down the barn and got all the crap out of there and then scrapped up some fresh new dirt to build a berm as a temp fix to channel the water away next time it rains.

I told her I wasn't all to worried about earning money since I used her tractor to do the work and said sometimes its just people helping people. And I was really worried about the animals. A wet floor can cause all kinds of hoof problems.

She is new to tractors and just recently bought the B7510 5 days ago and wasn't really sure how to used it. I gave her a crash course while I was there.

Anyway to make a long story even longer what size bush hog would be ideal to use behind a B7510. It's a 21hp. I'm thinking a 5 footer would work but I'm not 100% sure.
I think the ol 5' er will work fine, it should stick out about 6" to each side to hug the fence line and the capacity on the B7510 will pick up the largest one she could find without a problem - your timing is perfect, I am getting ready to place a nice HOWSE AG-MO on craigslist, with my new MMM, I will not be needing it!:) Here is a picture of a new one.....mine aint that pretty, but works perfectly! http://img.machinio.com/fl/1844362895.jpg

you are not that far from me, I will send you pictures if you/she wishes!
Drop me a note if you want

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I ran a 5' hog on my L185DT for over 30 years. In HEAVY tall grass I was in 1st gear. Spent a lot of time in 2nd. Mowed most of the time in 3rd. That is with 13.5 PTO horses. Now with the same hog and the L3200 I do it all in 4th. I could do 5th, but the field is too rough for it.
I was considering cutting 3" off the blades with the 185 - it really wasn't up to the challenge.
In addition to the horsepower, you have to consider the handling of the mower. I read a thread here yesterday about the effects of steering with a 600 lb mower behind a L3200/3800, even with 200lbs front weight. With the smaller B series the five footer could be too much to jerk around.
Makes you wish there was a 4-1/2 foot hog.
Wanting a brush hog implies some tough cutting. I'd go for the 48". You may still need front weights to handle it well.
Thanks for helping her. Rural people have to help each other out..

Last edited:

G-Man

Equipment
B7500, ZD221
Jul 27, 2012
Excelsior, AR
I have a B7500 which is basically the same tractor. I have a 48" BH and that is really about all you really can best use. The general rule for implements is 5hp per foot in width.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I figured a 5 footer would be pushing the limits. Its 7 acres of flat land but playing around with her scrape blade it seems like the 3pth doesnt lift very heigh.

I found her a decent looking Howese 4 footer in our area for 600 bucks but it sounds like money is tight on her end. Back to the drawing board to find a bush hog for this gal. Her fields need it bad. So over grown the animals wont eat it.

THANKS GUYS! and girl, wherever she is hiding...

Shauney22

Equipment
Kubota B8200 HST
Jun 29, 2013
Summerstown Ontario
THANKS GUYS! and girl, wherever she is hiding...
Totally a chick response to this thread but oh well! AND thanks for the final line in your last thread ;)

It's THAT kind of huge heart that's going to get you into HEAVEN!!!!!! How incredibly generous of you. I hope this woman Pays it Forward in kindness to someone else.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Eric now that you have used her tractor, have you mentioned to this young lady about a soil test for her fields. Anyone that's got horses should do that its a lot easier to have the hayburners out in the grass, than in the stalls eating you out of house and home. Yes I have been horse poor back in the day, with both daughters in 4 H and competition, and after a soil test I would up liming the snot out of everything and adding a bunch of stuff and seed,,,,,and dayum next spring there was grass growing :eek: and mowing dropped way off:D
Ya done good my friend ;)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The field is growing great. There are a few spots here and there that are over grown and the critters just aren't eating. She does have some hay bales out in the field for them to nibble on.

With all the rescued animals she has money is real tight on her end. She does board some horses but their owners don't have much money and ontop of giving riding classes it sounds like she just breaks evenso far doing this.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
There's a wide array of things you can add to the soil to make grass grow better and healthier. Lime, ph increaser's, fertilizers, seeds, watering polymers, pot ash. Then there is an organic approach like aeration and top dressing with compost and more eco-friendly products.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well gal I'm trying to remember, was more than a couple of days ago, a lot of lime most of the ground around here is a yellowish clay and the lime helps break it down and release the minerals, the potash was pretty good, phosphorous was low, nitrogen was marginal, so I spread about 150 pounds of plain old 10-10-10 and that helped bunches. I forget what kind of grass I spread but the turkeys loved it, so I ran the rotor till through just kicking up the top and spread a couple bags of rye grass, turkeys like that too but not as much. Its amazing how many of them things committed suicide by standing in front of the .22:rolleyes:

Shauney22

Equipment
Kubota B8200 HST
Jun 29, 2013
Summerstown Ontario
Well gal I'm trying to remember, was more than a couple of days ago... It's amazing how many of them things committed suicide by standing in front of the .22:rolleyes:
Yeah, it's tough remembering just a few days ago. ;)

As for the turkeys, hope you ate well :rolleyes:

I've never taken a soil test but am hoping to get some kind of grazer that will eat the grass instead me mowing. Hmmmm, maybe some turkeys ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You might look into some goats. Like the Nubian, stay away from the Alpines, or minis if you have anything you don't want eaten, them little things can and will get into and out of places and into things you don't want them to, like a 30 by 40 plot of broccoli finished it off before I knew it.
Good fences are a must, sheep on the other hand, if you have a pair of lambs tie one to a heavy tire or block with a fairly long tether, and the other will roam around and never be to far from the tethered one.
And of course water they need lots of water, and with sheep come late in the fall pop them in the freezer or off to the auction goats on the other hand ,unless you have some middle eastern friends, are a little tuff to dispose of at least around here.

And my Dad taught me that WE NEVER WASTE ANYTHING could be why my garage and barn have so much junk in them,,,lol

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Does anybody in the house know if a 7510 has cruse control or something of the like. If I have to bush hog the whole 7 acres I'm not looking forward to holding down a hst pedal all day long. Worst comes to worst I'll hook a hog up behind my B6100 and let the gear tranny eat at it all day long.

Rusty46

Equipment
B7500 HSD-R, LA 302, RCK60-24B, Woods RB-72, Millcreek 25, Harrow, Payne PF800,
Does anybody in the house know if a 7510 has cruse control.
My B7500HSD-R has a cruise control, but I don't find it very useful, unless you can run some sort of continuous path. You accelerate to your working speed and depress the hand lever next to the parking brake lever. The lever has five notches. You need to catch the closest notch to your desired speed. Remove your foot from the forward pedal, and then let go of the cruise control lever. Push the brake or forward pedal to disengage the cc. The B7510 is newer and may have a better cc.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Splendid! I had seen another lever right beside the parking break lever just below the steering wheel and I had assumed that was cc, I nailed that guess just right then!

Still not 100% sure what we are going to do for a bush hog. Her funding is real low and by Saturday this gal will have yet another rescued horse on her farm that will have to be quarantined off from the other critters for 30 days until the horse fattens up some.

Come hell or high water I'll find a way to bush hog her property if I have to go over it with my tractor and finishing mower and trash it I will.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You will get your reward in heaven my friend cause you sure as hell aint gona get it here:D