Buildling a shed for my B2620

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
We'll I'm finally getting around to posting some pictures of the shed I designed and built for my B2620. The shed is only 10'x14', but I already had a concrete pad that was there so it saved a lot of money. I can get the tractor and rear blade in there, but when I get the FEL, I'll either have to leave the loader off or the rear blade off. But in the next couple years I'd like to build a pole barn/shop so that will help out.

Back in June when I first got the tractor I used it to pull down an old nasty shed/chicken coup, with the plans of building a new shed on the concrete pad for the tractor eventually. See that post at: http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15129

Well my garage was getting more and more stuffed so my wife said why not go ahead and get the shed built before winter. A few weeks ago I had the week off to work around the house so I took a couple days to put up this shed.

I started out using a 3d modeling program called Rhino 3d, that I used to use to design our hovercrafts, to draw up the shed I wanted to build on the existing concrete pad, which was about 10'x14'. I strayed from this drawing a little bit and made the door 6.5' wide instead of 6' and also continued the header all the way across the front. I also designed it so I could build the shed completely by myself.

First thing I had to do is get spot ready for the shed, I remembered there being a sapling growing behind the pad, but it turned out to be more of a full sized mulberry, about 10" dia and 25' tall or so, and it was leaning over the neighbors fence. So I figured the B2620 needed to work for its new home anyways ;) so I hooked it up to the tree, pull it away from the fence and started cutting until I was able to pull it over with the tractor.

I built the side walls down in the garage where I had power and air and then loaded them up on the trailer.

Then I put the tractor to work again to pull the trailer out back and I put the side walls up and anchored them. I also put some steel straps on to anchor the studs to the concrete in case we get a high winds. I also used a couple C-clamps to hold the walls the correct distance apart.

I also printed off some templates for some gusset plates for the trusses. And my wife got me a new cordless circular and jig saw for our anniversary so I was able to test those out too.

I also built my trusses ahead of time down in the garage, and made up spacers with my gusset plates.

And I put the tractor to work again hauling the bits and pieces around back.

Then I built the back wall of the shed, followed by putting up the first truss, that way I could C-clamp the truss to the wall, and then go down and get the bottoms sides lined up on the wall.

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
With the gusset plates and spacers, I was able to put those up to the previous truss, then C-clamp the next truss to the other side of the spacer, tie in the bottoms of the truss, then go back and attach the other side of the spacer/gusset plate to that truss and so on.

And then I got in a grove and forgot to take more pictures :D But I put hurricane clips on all the trusses, and got the front wall and door header put up. The doors are 8' tall and 6.5' wide so I have plenty of wiggle room to get the B2620 in there, plus now I don't have to fold down the ROPS any more :)
Then I moved on to the roof, which I used 5/8" OSB. When I designed the shed, I was able to design the rafters so I cut 4" or 5" off of the sheets of plywood for the top part of the roof, and that piece could be used to the sides of the roof so there would be very little waste.

And 1 side of the roof is up. With some careful placement of the ladder putting up the roof OSB wasn't too bad, I was able to put the ladder right on the edge of where I wanted the OSB to stop and rest it on the ladder to keep if from sliding......

And the other side of the roof is done, plus I started on the 1/2" OSB for the walls.

Then I finished up all the walls, I sealed all the seems before I put the OSB up, for now I'll just be painting the shed until we side the house next year.

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
Then I go the roofing put on, 2 layers of 30lb felt up top, 1 on the sides, and good ole 3 tab shingles (they were on sale and had a mail in rebate :D).

Then I painted it and built the double doors

I also put up a 4' deep loft section with some of the extra 1/2" osb, there is almost 6'8" of head room so I don't have to worry about smacking my head on it. Next time I'm in town with the truck I'll pick up a couple more 10' 2x4's so I can put up a 2' deep shelf across the back, just above the hood height of the tractor.

And there's the B2620 in its new home, waiting for some snow

I also got a couple stainless eye screws for the outside and a couple bungee's so I could strap the doors open so I don't have to worry about the wind blowing them shuts, on the inside of the doors are a couple screws to stretch the bungee's across so I don't loose them.

And there we have it 1 shed up, new home for the tractor, and more room in the garage. Now I just need to work on moving more of the stuff out of the basement and garage and into the shed.

For power temporarily I have some outdoor 12-3 running across the yard, I'll get that underground in the spring, but I have a circuit for the block heater, and another for the battery tender and lights if I want to put a couple up.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Great job! Awesome pictures.

Nice you could re-use the old pad!

:)

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Nice job, framing came out great, very professional!

Is there enough room to have those doors swing inwards and not hit the backblade? I only ask because I had a similar setup that I ended up changing after one winter. The snow was a pain to clear out before I could open the doors after a big storm. Then after a few storms ice would buildup on the ground and I had to chip that away before I could even get to to the machine.

I ended up moving my mower to the location with the outward swinging doors to make room in my garage (with standard overhead doors) for the tractor.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Nice. I have more junk than sheds. Got rid of a bunch, bu now my son took over what i was planning as my tractor shed. Hes fixing it up, someday he will move, i get a nice shed.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Very nice indeed!!!!

At my school we build a similar utility building, too small for a tractor but perfect for riding mowers 8'x8'x12'......the gambrel roof looks almost the exact same as ones I have used ( I make all the chords the same - less screw up via the students!:D) During that time of year I have several kids just cutting dozens of the gussets just to keep up!!!
The barn style roof allows for the ol' ROPS to get in there with ease too !!! :eek::eek:
Nice job!

res

Equipment
L3301HST, 7' back blade
Oct 25, 2014
Cadillac, Mi
Hope you don't mind a suggestion. Keep an eye on the front half of the building. With sheds there are no codes but in a house situation, you would be required to have collar ties every other rafter. You have the back half covered just fine with shelf brackets if they are tied on their ends to the rafters. The collar tie can be 1/3 of the distance from the top so you would be quite safe putting them just under first angle change coming down from the peak so you can stay above the ROPS. You might not have an issue if you get very little snow but a heavy snow might be able to push a bit. I would be far more concerned if you did not have the shelf tied to the rafters. Just keep an eye on the side walls. If they start to lean out, get it tied with a couple of ties. The workmanship is excellent. You should be quite proud of your accomplishment. Thanks for sharing.

Patrick BX

Equipment
BX2660 w/ LA243 Loader and RCK60B23BX
Nov 13, 2014
Midland, MI
Looks really nice. I also am just finishing up a shed for the tractor. In my case it is a lean too off from the back of the existing pole barn. I ended up with a 10'x7' garage door (still have to install that!) and an 18' x 24' shed. It is just a gravel floor but that is all it really needs. I used the bx2260 to remove about 10 yards of sand from the inside and put in about 7 yards of crushed limestone.

Attachments

Semma

Equipment
bx2670, FEL, bx5455hd snowblower, 60 inch mower, soft cab, landpride fsp500
Jan 3, 2015
Shirley, MA, US
Nice job..... I though I'd share my shed retrofit with you.

Attachments

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Nice Job! Only wish you were closer, I'd ask to sub-lent the attic. lol:D