Brush hog

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
I am still researching a little on which one to get. I will be placing an order for my grapple this week from EA & have watched Teds video on his brush hog. He really tests his stuff hard it seems like to me. May get the EA version. I think it costs less than the landpride but now I know they make several models from landpride. Really I’m unsure which one I was priced from my dealer. The EA is $2k & all my paperwork is at home for the landpride I was quoted on. (I’m gone trucking). Landpride coulda been their lightest weight version & I think either $2200 or $2800 but will clarify that b4 decision time. Who has good or bad experience with either brand? I’m still working on a deal for a used finish mower but that’s a different animal all together. Think very overgrown land for several years with this brush hog application. Back tired ar 6’ outside measurement so apples to apples a 6’ should work but may be an option for a 7’ with landprides versions?? Would that be a mistake to go wider? Tractor is an mx5800 with 50pto hp

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Just a thought but where I am from there are farm auctions every week with good used implements selling at fair prices. Why not save some money and invest in multiple implements instead of spending so much for 1? I picked up a 6' brush hog, 6' box blade, sickle bar, 8' harrow, post hole digger, snow blade, 2 bottom plow, 3 pt. seeder, and hay rake for $850.00. I also have an MX5800 and believe you could run 7' easily. Just my opinion.

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
2016 L3901 FEL 2004 BX1500 FEL 71" Tiller 37" Tiller 71" Finish Mower Flail Mow
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
To second the above comment, the thing I found the cheapest used were bush hogs. I bought a tiller and finish mower new because I found what they were going for used were close enough I would err on the side of new, but in the bush hog case, I'm going used because at least around here they go a lot cheaper than the new ones

TheJuice9269

Equipment
Kubota MX5100-(sold) / Kubota MX 5200-(sold) / Kubota MX5800
Oct 14, 2017
Freeland, MI, USA
I've had the mid version of your MX, 5100 & 5200, both have less HP than your MX5800 and ran 6 foot implements fine. With the added HP of the MX5800, I would add the wider diameter attachments. The ratio I've heard is a minimum of 5HP per foot of implement.

In running the 6' width stuff, it's as wide as the tractor and especially brush hogging, the wide tires & weight of these tractors matt down the tall grass (especially golden rod) and the hog doesn't cleanly cut the stuff in the wheel path. When you get done, it looks pretty shady after a couple days because all of the tire path stuff that was matted stands back up half cut or so. If you get 7' that will remedy most of that as this matted stuff won't be at the outer edge of your cutting blades. I just bought a 7' finish mower this spring to use to deal with this. If you're not worried about the look, the 6' is fine, but you've got plenty of motor and PTO HP to use anything 7' and likely 8' if you wanted to. The cost though on these sizes increases dramatically over the more common 5' & 6' stuff.

I shop Craigslist and if you stay on top of it, you can find real decent deals on there as well at a fraction of the cost new. If you have the money and don't want to risk getting someone elses problem, totally understand that!

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I am still researching a little on which one to get. I will be placing an order for my grapple this week from EA & have watched Teds video on his brush hog. He really tests his stuff hard it seems like to me. May get the EA version. I think it costs less than the landpride but now I know they make several models from landpride. Really I***8217;m unsure which one I was priced from my dealer. The EA is $2k & all my paperwork is at home for the landpride I was quoted on. (I***8217;m gone trucking). Landpride coulda been their lightest weight version & I think either $2200 or $2800 but will clarify that b4 decision time. Who has good or bad experience with either brand? I***8217;m still working on a deal for a used finish mower but that***8217;s a different animal all together. Think very overgrown land for several years with this brush hog application. Back tired ar 6***8217; outside measurement so apples to apples a 6***8217; should work but may be an option for a 7***8217; with landprides versions?? Would that be a mistake to go wider? Tractor is an mx5800 with 50pto hp
I've been mowing with various tractor/mower combinations and in various conditions for nearly 50 years. Among others, I currently operate a L6060 with Woods BB720X, 6' cutter and a M9960 with Woods, BB840X, 7' cutter. Both mowers are all the tractors want in some conditions. I do use EPTO when mowing with the M9960.

I would not recommend anything larger than a 6' cutter for your MX5800 unless you have nearly ideal conditions. Seven foot cutters are long, heavy and lots of weight is well behind the lift point. Moreover, you will find that 7' cutters pull harder than twin spindle 8' cutters in most conditions.

I currently have a 7' cutter on my M9960 only because I have it. I bought it for use with a 60 PTO HP MF tractor since sold. I am currently shopping for a 12' or 15' BW cutter for use with the M9960.

SDT

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Since you're thinking about a 7' I'd suggest looking at a twin spindle 8' instead. Main reason is the 7' are so long and will add so much tail weight. The twin 8' is shorter and really do a clean job.

Since you are in Dalton I'd also suggest looking at Modern Ag cutters. If you are interested in seeing what they offer there's a local dealer for them. I can point you in the right direction.

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Looks like we are neighbors Bulldog. Yes I’d be interested in the modern ag dealer info. Who are they? Do u have their equipment? U a mechanic there?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Yeah, we must be pretty close to being neighbors.

The dealer isn't the normal, he's a local dairy farmer that sells their implements. I don't have any of their equipment right now but I've used several Modern batwing cutters. When I have to replace mine that's probably what I'll go with.

I'll send you a PM with his contact info.