Bringing the L260P back to life!

hookd

Equipment
L260P
Jan 1, 2019
Sand Coulee, Montana
After 4 years I finally convinced my old man to part with his L260P that he bought new and I spent my summers on putting up hay. Unfortunately he replaced it with a new JD about 15 years ago and the Kubota has been parked every since. I have done some looking online on bringing an old tractor back to life and since it looks like there is a break in the weather we plan on going to get it this weekend. The plan is to get tires aired up and get it pushed on a trailer so I can get it back to my heated shop to go through over the winter. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or things to look out for in this process? It has sat in a barn since it was parked so at least it hasn't been out in the weather. I am looking forward to learning from the smart folks on this forum and getting this thing running to put to work on my farm.

Thanks!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Welcome. Sounds like a project!! Once you get the tires aired up and the tractor rolls, see if it needs anything major. Was it parked because it ran out of its usefulness? Are major components missing?

If it's just neglected I'd begin by cleaning off the pigeon crap and layers of dust!! Check to see if it had antifreeze, then drain it if it did. Check oil, drain it and replace with a good oil rated for diesel service. Remove battery, replace the wire to the starter, and the wire going to frame ground. Be sure to clean the metal where the ground wire bolts to the frame.

Post a few more questions, one at a time. You need 5 post here to be able to post a picture. Then post up some pictures for additional comments from everyone.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Drain all the diesel replace with new diesel and filters too. ;)

Last edited:

hookd

Equipment
L260P
Jan 1, 2019
Sand Coulee, Montana
Welcome. Sounds like a project!! Once you get the tires aired up and the tractor rolls, see if it needs anything major. Was it parked because it ran out of its usefulness? Are major components missing?

If it's just neglected I'd begin by cleaning off the pigeon crap and layers of dust!! Check to see if it had antifreeze, then drain it if it did. Check oil, drain it and replace with a good oil rated for diesel service. Remove battery, replace the wire to the starter, and the wire going to frame ground. Be sure to clean the metal where the ground wire bolts to the frame.

Post a few more questions, one at a time. You need 5 post here to be able to post a picture. Then post up some pictures for additional comments from everyone.
It is covered in plenty of crap so hopefully its warm enough to run by a carwash on the way home. It was forgotten about since he got a new one and it ran when it was parked. Will definitely need a new battery, good suggestion on the cables I hadn't thought about that.

hookd

Equipment
L260P
Jan 1, 2019
Sand Coulee, Montana

Everything is there but he did take off the air cleaner a few years ago to work on getting it started so hopefully nothing crawled up there to make a home.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice, even has a loader! I can see right where those pigeons roosted.

Remove the air cleaner and use duct tape to connect your shop vac to the air intake. Have you vac clean, then you can see if anything has made a nest in there.

hookd

Equipment
L260P
Jan 1, 2019
Sand Coulee, Montana
Nice, even has a loader! I can see right where those pigeons roosted.

Remove the air cleaner and use duct tape to connect your shop vac to the air intake. Have you vac clean, then you can see if anything has made a nest in there.
Yes sir, its a pretty nice setup! Good tip on the shop vac. Thanks!

hookd

Equipment
L260P
Jan 1, 2019
Sand Coulee, Montana
Well the first step is done and it is mobile. I felt dirty using a John Deere to push a Kubota around but it had to be done. At first glance I thought we would get lucky with the tires and both fronts hold air. One rear has a leaky valve stem, not a big deal the bummer is the other rear has a broken valve stem and the rim is corroded to the point I'm afraid the tire shop won't fix it. I will get some better pictures when we get it cleaned up and home.
PHP:

Attachments

hookd

Equipment
L260P
Jan 1, 2019
Sand Coulee, Montana
Sharp looking Ford you have there.

You have your winter work figured out and Yes AR's get spendy :p
Thanks! Between trucks and guns I have allot of expensive habits. We got it towed back to the homestead just fine so hopefully we get some calm weather this weekend so I can break out the pressure washer and get it cleaned up before it's unloaded into the garage. Going through and sourcing oil, coolant and filters now do you guys have any recommendations?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Oil, would go with owners manual as to weights. Diesel rated. Sure we will get an earful about everyone's favorite brand.

Coolant not particular but old machine would stay with tried and true formulations.

Filters can be ordered from Coleman Equipment by internet. Some cross reference to other (non-Kubota) filters if in a bind - thinking NAPA etc. But to me not worth a trip to town or dealer when I can order on-line and get Kubota filters delivered.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Well the first step is done and it is mobile. I felt dirty using a John Deere to push a Kubota around but it had to be done. At first glance I thought we would get lucky with the tires and both fronts hold air. One rear has a leaky valve stem, not a big deal the bummer is the other rear has a broken valve stem and the rim is corroded to the point I'm afraid the tire shop won't fix it. I will get some better pictures when we get it cleaned up and home.
PHP:
Our trucks are almost identical. I think we even have the same tool box. Nice choice! Love the tractor as well!

hookd

Equipment
L260P
Jan 1, 2019
Sand Coulee, Montana
Oil, would go with owners manual as to weights. Diesel rated. Sure we will get an earful about everyone's favorite brand.

Coolant not particular but old machine would stay with tried and true formulations.

Filters can be ordered from Coleman Equipment by internet. Some cross reference to other (non-Kubota) filters if in a bind - thinking NAPA etc. But to me not worth a trip to town or dealer when I can order on-line and get Kubota filters delivered.
Thanks for the tip on Coleman Equipment, cheapest OEM filters I found so I got them coming. As far as oil I am sticking with the what is recommended in the manual.

Our trucks are almost identical. I think we even have the same tool box. Nice choice! Love the tractor as well!
I picked it up in August after selling my 2014 short bed. I absolutely love this truck! We have a 38' fifth wheel toy hauler that weighs in around 13k empty and this thing will pull it effortlessly. Hands down the most comfortable rig I have ever owned, it sounds like you got good taste as well!

hookd

Equipment
L260P
Jan 1, 2019
Sand Coulee, Montana
The pit crew (my 12 and 15 year old boys) and I got some phenomenal weather last weekend so we got out the pressure washer and did some cleanup. Unfortunately this uncovered the rear rims are so corroded I can see rubber tube around the rear valve stems and of course after talking to the local Kubota dealer I find out they are discontinued. I then called Big Sky Kubota in Missoula and stumbled into a wealth of information. Turns out they have an L200 restored on their showroom floor and they used 70000-00053 which is the modern version of the 24 inch offset rim. I'll have to wait to get good rubber on it so we then moved on to get the oil out if it and go through the intake. After a shipping mixup from Coleman equipment it looks like I'll have filters this week and be able to finish the oil system and move on to the electrical, fuel and coolant before I fire it up. I also looked at the rear end/hydraulics and the fluid looks really good so I will probably not mess with it until it's running. Looks like winter is coming back this weekend so I should get some good garage time in and hopefully have it together by Sunday:D

Attachments

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
First thing you want to do is a visual inspect for rodent damage.
Check air filter box for nest.
Drain and replace all fluids.