Brake carnage!!

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Who's going to work in Mexico anyway. They're all here.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would flush and refill power steering/hydro boost system with schaeffer's all trans supreme. power steering/hydroboost flush
Thanks for the suggestion. I use and like Schaeffer products and ordered the one gallon container of All Trans Supreme last night.

The Motive brake bleeder kit is supposed to show up today so I can finally get the brakes bled this afternoon and the truck back on the road.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Well, another big thank you to @The Evil Twin for suggesting a Motive brake bleeder. I've worked on brakes many, many times over the last forty years and have bled many brake systems, but almost always with a helper that has the horrible job of pumping the brakes.

This Motive kit is worth every penny of the $100 or so that it cost. I added a quick disconnect but after thinking about it, the reservoir adapter cap only has to turn 120 degrees to engage the tabs so I don't think it's necessary.

I pressurized the system before adding any brake fluid to the tank to make sure there were no leaks and all was good. I ended up bleeding all four calipers twice due to the color of the brake fluid. It's was a black/green at first and after flushing close to two quarts through I ended up with a lime green solution and a very clean and clear reservoir. I wonder if the green is from degrading brake hoses. :unsure: Since I'll need to bleed the brakes again when I install the braided stainless steel hoses I'll call it good for now.

Next up will be flushing the power steering system as suggested by @CGMKCM.

motive_bleeder.jpg

Brake fluid from the first go around.

brake_fluid_start.jpg

Brake fluid after the second go around.

brake_fluid_end.jpg

The reservoir and the fluid in it is the cleanest it's ever been in the time I've owned the truck.

brake_reservoir.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I found another video that goes over flushing power steering and power boost system. This might provide a better process for getting the job done. 7.3l Steering flush.
I had watched that video on Tuesday night in preparation for flushing the power steering system and I basically did what was suggested. I was under some pressure to get the tractor and disc loaded up on Wednesday so rushed through the process. I don't think the ATF in the system was that bad and I probably should have kept on flushing but I'll get back to it soon and run the rest of the gallon through. It would have been good to have help so that I could watch the ATF level in the reservoir and to see the color of the ATF being pumped out.

The brake pedal feels a lot better now but I'm looking forward to new stainless steel braided hoses and another brake flush.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
flushing the brake fluid once in a while is a VERY good idea. Keeps the calipers and hoses from falling apart, among other things. Most folks don't change fluid until it's time to replace parts...and even then it doesn't get flushed. ABS systems MUST be flushed periodically, if not the ABS motor assembly will fail sooner than it would if the fluid is flushed.

same for power steering and in this case, hydroboost. Flushing once in a while isn't terribly hard to do and saves parts failures. Systems work better too.

and coolant. Nobody ever changes coolant because "it's got a lifetime interval". Define lifetime. 50,000 miles or 40,000?

I do it once a year on all counts. My truck sits a lot and sitting isn't good for them, in some ways worse than actually using it. It may be sitting a lot more this year....I am no longer guiding, and having to really watch the pennies closer, as there are a lot fewer of them coming in now. May end up selling it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
flushing the brake fluid once in a while is a VERY good idea. Keeps the calipers and hoses from falling apart, among other things. Most folks don't change fluid until it's time to replace parts...and even then it doesn't get flushed. ABS systems MUST be flushed periodically, if not the ABS motor assembly will fail sooner than it would if the fluid is flushed.

same for power steering and in this case, hydroboost. Flushing once in a while isn't terribly hard to do and saves parts failures. Systems work better too.

and coolant. Nobody ever changes coolant because "it's got a lifetime interval". Define lifetime. 50,000 miles or 40,000?

I do it once a year on all counts. My truck sits a lot and sitting isn't good for them, in some ways worse than actually using it. It may be sitting a lot more this year....I am no longer guiding, and having to really watch the pennies closer, as there are a lot fewer of them coming in now. May end up selling it.
I towed the boat yesterday afternoon and the brakes are so much better now. They'll be even better once I have the new brake hoses installed, and have performed another flush of the power steering fluid.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A bit of an update on the brakes. They're the best they've ever been since I've owned this truck, and the KLM stainless steel braided brake lines shipped today. I ordered them on 6/9 and the website states "28 days minimum to manufacture" which is basically the time it took if you count working days.

The lines are shipping via USPS so will probably take a week to get here. I'll post a final update once the they're installed and I've used that fancy Motive brake bleeder again to purge all the air. I'm curious to see if the color of the brake fluid returns to clear once the 22 year old hoses are in the trash can.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
A bit of an update on the brakes. They're the best they've ever been since I've owned this truck, and the KLM stainless steel braided brake lines shipped today. I ordered them on 6/9 and the website states "28 days minimum to manufacture" which is basically the time it took if you count working days.

The lines are shipping via USPS so will probably take a week to get here. I'll post a final update once the they're installed and I've used that fancy Motive brake bleeder again to purge all the air. I'm curious to see if the color of the brake fluid returns to clear once the 22 year old hoses are in the trash can.
FWIW, I added this filter in my return line after flushing the power steering. It is easy to remove and clean. NAPA

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The KLM brake lines showed up today and I'm impressed with the quality. I've had stainless braided lines on my Jeep TJ for at least 10 years, but they don't have a clear protective sheath around them like the KLM version. I'll most likely get them installed in a couple of weeks once I'm back from a work trip.

klm_brake_lines.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
FWIW, I added this filter in my return line after flushing the power steering. It is easy to remove and clean. NAPA
I checked my local NAPA and it isn't stocked by them. This is what the online search came back with .......
105 stores within 60 miles of 06260-1347 not one store had the filter in stock, but most could order it and get it in a few days.