Box Blade

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
I am looking for advice on which rear blade to purchase for my B2650.
I'll be using it for gravel driveway maintenance and some snow work.
Thanks

Bmello

Equipment
B2650
Oct 10, 2014
Creighton, missouri
I've got the same set up as you. A B2650 with a landpride RCR1260. I did pick up the LandPride BB1260 also and it works great. The tractor has no issues pulling the 60 inch box blade. I do drop it in low up long steep hills but on flat ground it pulls a full box of gravel in M with no struggles.

pauly

Equipment
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
Bemelo,

My mistake. I see the box scraper. I was wondering about the rear blade's.
The RB1560 in particular.
That GS looks interesting.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Don't get a box blade for working with snow, they don't work very well for that!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
A rear blade is much more versatile. If you have to bring gravel in from the side or otherwise move it laterally, it can be angled for that. Also, same situation for deep snow. It also can really handle deep snow backing up, if necessary. Get them both for almost every job that comes up.

pauly

Equipment
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
I was thinking about the rear blade for early and late season snow removal.
I like the blower however after this first snow the ground was not frozen. As I was chugging along the shoes were sinking into the soft gravel throwing gravel everywhere. I know I could fot some wheels to the blower but....
The rear blade option sounds better.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
One thought to minimize blading gravel. Going in reverse, with the blade cutting edge looking forward , may be better for you before the gravel freezes. The rear action pushes somewhat downward to help, even if there is no cutting edge. Not perfect, but give it a try.

Bmello

Equipment
B2650
Oct 10, 2014
Creighton, missouri
Bemelo,

My mistake. I see the box scraper. I was wondering about the rear blade's.
The RB1560 in particular.
That GS looks interesting.
I have a generic 60" straight blade that I picked up at an auction 20 years ago. No idea who made it but it weighs as much as my box blade.

In hindsight, I kinda wish I would have picked up a GS grading scraper instead of the box blade, but I'm not disappointed in the box blade either. I just use the straight blade for snow and general gravel cleanup.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I've been using a rear blade for snow, for years. A few years ago I put a gauge wheel on the back, so I can suspend the rear blade between the gauge wheel and lift arms. Until everything is frozen and packed, I set the blade up about 2", so I don't move too much gravel. Then later on I lower it to about an inch. Since my driveway is uneven, I usually use a chain for a top link - allowing the blade to follow the terrain.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Back Blade & Blower

Back Blade
Blower
Box Blade

I have all three and I have snow :)

The Box Blade is stored each winter
The Blower does the bulk of the work all winter.
The Back Blade is used in Spring to cut away the base as it thaws

The only trick to using the blower I can give is the adjustments to keep from sucking up gravel..
At the beginning of the snow season I angle up the intake so it will not dig into the snow.. As the season progresses and the base solidifies I angle it back down to scrape..

Keeping in mind of course each person has different environments, so things will work better for some people in some situations

Last edited:

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Don't get a box blade for working with snow, they don't work very well for that!
I disagree totally with Wolfman on using a box blade for snow, I use mine
all the time and to me a standard back blade is useless in the winter.
Here's why:
Box blades are heavy which helps give you more traction.
Box blades are awesome for pulling snow away from areas like the front of the garage sidewalks house so then you can blow it or push it out of the way.
Box blades make excellent heavy duty snow blade for pushing snow.

All that said I do have a piece of pipe that has brackets welded on the ends that take one bolt to hold it on that's situated between the 2 blades. Mine is 2 inch diameter and I adjust how close I want it by adjusting the top link tipping it closer in front etc that works excellent for me. I drag the snow back from buildings and sidewalks then blow it out of the drive with my front mounted snowblower.

My neighbor did my driveway years ago with a box blade then pushed it and piled it with the front end loader. Always amazed me how much he could pull with that 2wd John Deere but the more snow he dragged up with it the more traction he gained. I only wish I could operate a loader like he does too, best equipment operator I've ever seen and I've been around plenty of darn good one's.
Al