Bought a used b7100 - has a hydraulic leak

baxfin

Equipment
b7100
Sep 28, 2024
washington state
Hey all - thanks for taking the time. I am a very new tractor owner and I know very little about hydraulics and tractors in general. I bought a used b7100 - it was not leaking at all when I purchased it. After it arrived at my place, I noticed it starting to leak hydraulic fluid out of a fitting. Now it basically pours hydraulic fluid out of this fitting. I made sure that it is tight and it still leaks. Please see attached picture - the leak comes from the green arrow location which is between a female hex fitting and a longer hexagonal piece of metal that is perpendicular to the hose coming in. If I unthread the hose from the female fitting, the female fitting spins freely in place meaning it is not threaded to the hexagonal piece of metal. I am assuming as I thread and tighten the hose into the female fitting, it should tighten in place.

Anyways, I am almost certain I need to replace something here. Can anyone provide any pointers on how I can figure out what I need to replace and where I can buy those components? Thanks again

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey all - thanks for taking the time. I am a very new tractor owner and I know very little about hydraulics and tractors in general. I bought a used b7100 - it was not leaking at all when I purchased it. After it arrived at my place, I noticed it starting to leak hydraulic fluid out of a fitting. Now it basically pours hydraulic fluid out of this fitting. I made sure that it is tight and it still leaks. Please see attached picture - the leak comes from the green arrow location which is between a female hex fitting and a longer hexagonal piece of metal that is perpendicular to the hose coming in. If I unthread the hose from the female fitting, the female fitting spins freely in place meaning it is not threaded to the hexagonal piece of metal. I am assuming as I thread and tighten the hose into the female fitting, it should tighten in place.

Anyways, I am almost certain I need to replace something here. Can anyone provide any pointers on how I can figure out what I need to replace and where I can buy those components? Thanks again
The hose is connected with a female pipe swivel. it spins freely until tightened on the hose.

Where is your leak - swivel joint or where the elbow screws into tractor?

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for the quick reply - the leak is at the swivel point
The swivel joint has a male cone seat and the nut pulls that seat tight to a matching female chamfer on the end of the hose. Sounds like the seat and/or chamfer are damaged. Disconnect the hose and inspect the sealing surfaces. They should be shiney and smooth.

Dan

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I can’t easily locate a fitting exactly like what you show but this one is similar
IMG_0176.png

As you see it could be leaking at three places. 1 where it screws into the tractor,2 where the hose screws into this fitting and 3 where the hex swivel is loose there is a second cone seal .

I would take the fitting to a hydraulic shop and get a replacement IF you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
What makes you think that outlet block is BSPP? My guess is NSPF or NPTF.

Dan
I said it was SIMILAR and used it as an example of what might be leaking since that was part of the original question. No where is there a suggestion that it is the SAME threads as what is installed.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I said it was SIMILAR and used it as an example of what might be leaking since that was part of the original question. No where is there a suggestion that it is the SAME threads as what is installed.
Well I will go further and say this has the correct threads and can be purchased at your local TSC. But before replacing it make sure the original is actually defective. Those things tend to be pretty robust.

Dan

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are shops in your state that are like this one that can provide you with the correct fitting.

And as Dan (so politely) pointed out, there are way too many thread types involved in the hydraulic world to venture a guess what you need over one picture on the internet.

I personally avoid using any NPT type of thread in hydraulic systems if at all possible. I much prefer the JIC CONE or straight thread with a sealing washer (ORB or BSPP )

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
There are shops in your state that are like this one that can provide you with the correct fitting.

And as Dan (so politely) pointed out, there are way too many thread types involved in the hydraulic world to venture a guess what you need over one picture on the internet.

I personally avoid using any NPT type of thread in hydraulic systems if at all possible. I much prefer the JIC CONE or straight thread with a sealing washer (ORB or BSPP )
I share your dislike of NPT but you can't put a male BSP fitting in a female NPT port and expect it to work reliably.

Kubota has been very consistent on the threads used in those blocks. The only ones I know of that have ORB ports are the ones I make. In the US they are NPSF with NPTF adapters. Measure the male thread if in doubt.

Also expect problems getting a new elbow to clock and seal properly in that now deformed port. I woukd switch to a straight NPTF male x JIC male adspter and put a female NPTF x JIC female swivel elbow on the hose. You wont have to worry about clocking the pipe threads.

Reactions: 1 user