Block Heater Piping B8200 D950

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
Currently there is a small hose about the size of a garden hose that connects the block with the radiator.

I would like to maintain this hose on the radiator as well as install the heater within the same port. There is not quite enough clearance to install a T pipe fitting. I was considering copper sweating the piping.

Was curious of the plus and minuses of eliminating the small hose that connects to the radiator and merely installing the block heater into the female thread of the block

I purchased a block heater and have removed the threaded hose bib from the block.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and especially any references to threads within this forum that addresses this issue or any other web references.

Anything with a photographs would be even better.

Thanks for the consideration.

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
Wanted to provide a follow up to my original post. I was able to successfully install the block heater.

It was a bit tight working around the hydraulic lines and also the constraint of the side cover.

I left intact the small hose that hooked to the radiator (this is a separate line from the small lower radiator hose).

Used a combination of stainless steal and brass pipe and fittings.

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
I used a "T" fitting with one end accommodating a threaded block heater and the other end for a hose barb.

total cost of entire project was $17, this being for a NOS block heater., 3/4 inch NPT. I had purchased all of the pipe fitting at auctions and miscellaneous garage sales.

exkx61

Jan 18, 2011
Bigfork,Montana
Well done! Do you have any pictures to post? I was planning a water heater on my D1105 engine so would be nice to see your install . Thanks.