Block Heater install for L2501

Ropeman43

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501
Feb 7, 2016
Flagstaff, AZ
Hey all,
New to the forum, but not kubota tractors. I recently installed a block heater for my L2501 P/N 70000-00297. Got the number and part from my dealer in Cottonwood, AZ. Chose the middle freeze plug on the Left side just before the starter ( Instructions had NO preference for this model tractor). All went well on the removal, those little suckers are a little tough, but tapped it sideways and got a hold of it with pair of needle nose and a little twisting & turning finally got it out. Little red locktite on the bushing..... tapped in in with a wooden block, checked for spacing and teflon tape and screwed the heater into the threaded bushing. Let it set overnight and refilled the coolant and I seem to be losing coolant from somewhere other that the area I installed the heater! Now mind you when draining the coolant the radiator does not drain the egine block. During removal of the freeze plug it squirted just about everywhere. I ran the trator for a good hour until the temp gauge moved to make sure the thermostat opened. My big question is: Since there is NO SIGN of ANY leakage around the bushing with the heater......... where is this coolant coming from? I did no damage during the removal (except to the plug itself). I been watching this all day and still have drips on the oil pan and mounting surfaces. Is it just residual from the draining out the freeze plug. I'll post a photo..... any info would be appreciated!

Attachments

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Before over -reacting, I would do this. Paper towels, wipe down everything. Next, do some work with it for 2 hours or so, keeping an eye on coolant level. Park it over a fresh piece of cardboard, and check for any signs of a leak. Do the same thing for a couple days, again keeping an eye on coolant level. Sometimes it takes a while for coolant slopped into nooks and crannies, to find its way out. Also sometimes takes a while of use, for the level inside the motor and radiator to reach equilibrium. :D:D

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Give all the areas below the block heater and areas you see coolant a wash down with a hose or bucket of water. Then give it a run to dry. If coolant returns you have a leak.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are you losing coolant or did you just need to purge the bubbles out?
Did you fill it and run it and fill it up again while running and after a warm up?

Are you still having to fill it with coolant?

If you are, then yes it's possible, but extremely rare, that you could have driven the plug or tool into the inside of the block to crack it, it usually takes pretty good force to do that.

If you still losing fluid and there is no visible leaks externally, then pull the oil drain plug and check for antifreeze in the pan.

Ropeman43

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501
Feb 7, 2016
Flagstaff, AZ
Want to thank everyone for their advice, patience is a virtue....... Just had to wait till all the spilled coolant made it's way out of the nooks & crannies like DIYDave suggested. Forgot that anti-freeze don't evaporate!