Block Heater. But What About Hydraulics?

JrExplorer

Jan 7, 2017
Orange County CA
So my cousin who lives in Wisconsin just bought a BX2370-1. The manual says you don't need the block heater unless the temp is below 5F (-15C). Heck. The dealer there didn't even really seem anxious to install one! I advised my cousin to get it anyway.

So reading the manual further it talks about no load warm up after starting. The manual says set the RPM at 50% of rated speed and let it warm up 5 minutes (minimum!) above 32F, 5-10 minutes between 14F-32F, and 10-15 minutes when the temps are between -4F-14F!

Now there is 3.3 qts of oil, 2.8 qts coolant and 3.1 GALLONS of hydraulic fluid in this little BX tractor. So it seems to me to reduce this time AND to be kind to the tractor it would be nice to preheat this 3 gallons of oil. SO my first question (since I live in California and don't have access to the BX in question) is there a descent flat spot (3" X 3") on the bottom of the HST where one could install a "film heater" such as the Wolverine heaters (https://www.wolverineheater.com/Easy-Heater-Sizing-s/1827.htm).

According to their chart a 125 watt heater is good for 1-7 gallons of hydraulic fluid. Of course they don't say what temp this will get the hydraulic fluid to at a given cold ambient temperature and in what time. I think 250 watt would be better.

Anyone have any experience with this type of heater? Anyone have any wild guesses as to the effectiveness of one of these heaters in this application?

Thanks again.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I talked to a customer of mine in northern Wisconsin the other day, it was 11am there and the temp was -12*f below zero...If I lived in Wisconsin I'd have a block heater installed. I think 'any' heater is welcomed in extream cold weather. I had a block heater installed in my tractor. I plugged it in one hour before I started it yesterday it was 15*f here all day. Then I let it run 15 min. Its my understanding with HST the fluid starts moving in the tranny once the engine is started and will warm up just like the engine oil will warm once its started. I have left my tractor plugged in over night before. Doing that I know does really heat the coolant a lot, inturn warming the block and oil some I'm sure.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I'm sure there will be a flat spot somewhere on the case of a BX, but I don't have one. The pad heaters are on the short list for my L4060 HST.
What I have done in the past is slap on 2-3 of the 200w magnetic heaters on the HST case with good results, but it's not very convenient (and with an aluminum oil pan this doesn't work for the engine).
The chart you referenced seems like the wattages specified for various amounts of hydraulic oil may be to maintain temperature rather than increase it much. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't consider anything less than 500w for that large chunk of metal and 3 gallons of oil.
Until I get a more permanent solution, I have been putting a 1000w radiant heater under my 4060 which raises the HST case temp (slowly).

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I have a BX in an unheated garage in northern Michigan. On days around zero F I turn on the block heater an hour before starting the tractor, and the tractor starts like it is 70 F. Block heater are high wattage and you will notice it on your electric bill if you leave it on over night.

For the transmission I bought a silicone rubber heater, but the largest I could fit on the flat spot on the bottom of the transmission was 50 watts. There is a lot of steel and oil in the transmission/differential and 50 watts is not much so I leave this heater on all winter. I have not checked the temperature of the transmission, but it is not noticeably warmer.

https://www.amazon.com/Kats-24050-W...483892625&sr=8-1&keywords=silicone+heater+pad

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The fluid is not stored in the HST unit, it stored in the rear end.

So to heat it you would want to heat the rear end. ;)

Hydraulic fluid heats very fast with in a short period of time just under a normal warm up.

Also the reason for heating the engine is to reduce wear from a cold engine, the hydraulic system does not have the same wear issues from cold fluid. ;)

JrExplorer

Jan 7, 2017
Orange County CA
The fluid is not stored in the HST unit, it stored in the rear end.

So to heat it you would want to heat the rear end. ;)

Hydraulic fluid heats very fast with in a short period of time just under a normal warm up.

Also the reason for heating the engine is to reduce wear from a cold engine, the hydraulic system does not have the same wear issues from cold fluid. ;)
Thanks for the clarification on where the actual "reservoir" is. Is there a good flat spot (and what size) on the bottom of this rear end or is it cast with stiffening webs everywhere?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Highly unlikely it will have any flat spots on it. ;)

Itsals1

Feb 7, 2015
Eau Claire,WI,USA
NIWolfman,

I noticed that you have a bobcat skidsteer, do the same principles apply to these being these are similar to hydrostatic tractors? We have a 751 with the Kubota Diesel, this is the reason I'm asking.

Thanks
Travis

SDMauler

Equipment
2009 BX2360TV60, RCK60B-23BX
Aug 8, 2014
Parker, SD
I keep my BX in one of those small tents with the zip-up doors. I use a propane forced air heater for about 30-45 minutes before I start the tractor. Heats it up to around 65-79 degrees pretty quickly, since it's such a small space. Works great. I may install a block heater when I'm in there replacing the water pump this spring, but until then, the heater works for me. You just have to be careful to open the door for a bit to let out the carbon monoxide before spending any time in there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
NIWolfman,

I noticed that you have a bobcat skidsteer, do the same principles apply to these being these are similar to hydrostatic tractors? We have a 751 with the Kubota Diesel, this is the reason I'm asking.

Thanks
Travis
I've run it this winter several times when the temps where in the single digits.
I have a block heater and run that when it get too cold.
I let it warm up for about 15 min then it's good to go. ;)

Everyman

Jan 12, 2017
Hollis,NH USA
I am taking the time to pass on some not too well known ways to avoid the problem problem with cold starts. I was an early adopter of Mobile One in the late 1970's when it was first introduced. There are two particularly beneficial characteristics to this oil. The first is that as the temperature goes down the viscosity of Mobile One does not change the same as non synthetics. Put plainly, at minus 20 degrees F the viscosity of Mobile One is the same as a regular oil at the 50 Degrees F. In other words the engine will crank the same as if it was 50 degrees outside when it is really -20 Deg. F.

The other of its characteristics is its ability to keep all the engine parts coated with a film of oil that does not dry out. If you have ever had an oil leak under a car with Mobile One you would find that it just doen't want to dry up for months. This is why when testing of engine wear determined that 90% occurs when the engine first starts it is due the the normal engine oil drying out on the wear surfaces and running dry until the oil pumps up to these components.

So if you use this synthetic you will never have to start an engine resisting the oil with the viscosity of molasses in the cold temps of winter. I live in NH and have never used an oil heater because I have always used synthetic oil in my Kubota's for the last 30 years. This advice probably won't work for Alaska in -40 to -60 Deg F temps. And you still do have to let it warm up as recommended because of the hydraulics.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you want something that will work without all the hassle of trying to find a place for a heater simply change you hyd fluid. Amsoil tractor hyd/trans fluid flows down to -58F and from my personal experience makes a huge difference in cold conditions. I know it doesn't get as cold here in GA. but I have used my tractor in -11 weather and the hydraulics performed like it was summer.

JrExplorer

Jan 7, 2017
Orange County CA
If you want something that will work without all the hassle of trying to find a place for a heater simply change you hyd fluid. Amsoil tractor hyd/trans fluid flows down to -58F and from my personal experience makes a huge difference in cold conditions. I know it doesn't get as cold here in GA. but I have used my tractor in -11 weather and the hydraulics performed like it was summer.
Now THAT might be a good idea! I too am a synthetic fluids disciple. I just haven't had the occasion to think about it for hydraulic fluids.