Blade / Deck Problems

John C

Equipment
B7100D, LMC Clipper 400, LMC 4ft Box Blade, NorTrac 47" Tiller
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
This may be a tad bit off topic since it doesn't involve a Kubota tractor, however I figured it could apply to Kubota's as well as all mowers. I am having trouble with my Encore zero turn 52 inch mower deck packing full of grass clippings right down to the top of the blades! I purchased it in early April used, from an individual, mowed with it until early June when I noticed one of the spindles wobbling and discovered that the spindle bearings were shot. In the process of rebuilding all three spindles I discovered that the blades were cracked and that someone had put a set of aftermarket blades on it that seemed to cross to a Scag mower. I would have been happy with exact replacements but no one had them! One of the independent mower shops in town looked up my Encore and sold me a set of blades which he said were a cross to the OEM blades. So I went home, put them on and began mowing. The first thing I noticed was the cut quality was not as good as before especially in tall rough grass! Then when I finally finnished mowing I looked under the deck and found that the top of the blades were almost rubbing the buildup of grass clippings that had stuck to the underside of the deck. After viewing numerous lawn care sites and talking with several people I was convinced that a set of Oregon High Lift Gator blades would solve the problem. Nobody in town had them but of course there's the internet so I gladly ordered a set and guess what? Same problem! only now the cut quality is much improved and the grass packed under the deck has neat teeth paterns where the gators rotate. I'm not talking about a little bit of buildup here, a good putty knifeing will yield about three five gallon buckets full of crud! I'm considering trying to order yet another set of the Scag blades that were on it when I bought it as they were apparently Extreme High Lift blades.
I mean the turn ups on them were 3 inches long and about 1 and a half high with a turn up angle of about 75 degrees. however I'm becoming blade poor and thought I'd see if anybody here had ever dealt with a similar issue. I've heard everything from spraying the underside of the deck with PAM cooking spray to sandblast and repaint the deck with graphite base non stick paint. I even phoned Encore and their deck guru hasn't returned my call! Any advise would be appreciated!!

John C

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
There is some stuff that you spray on the bottom of the deck to prevent the grass from sticking. WARNING''' the fumes are very toxic to your lungs. I had to go to the Dr after spraying it. It does work.

John C

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
ipz,
I don't guess you'd remember the name of the stuff? I've been told as I stated earlier about PAM cooking spray, Paint thinner, Paint thinner mixed 50/50 with used motor oil,
Mo-Deck, Fluid Film, etc.. The main problem I have with any of these remedies is that everyone agrees that for them to work I'd basicly need to remove the deck pressure wash it and remove any loose paint or surface rust. (some have even suggested that it would need a fresh coat of paint) Then I'm told I'd need to apply generously and reapply about once a month or more often depending on conditions! Mo-Deck sells online for about $10 a can. Fluid Film is available through John Deere Dealers and is also near $10 per can. Some say PAM does just as good and is much cheaper and more widely available. I don't expect it to be perfectly clean under the deck but the right blade combination should keep the buildup to a manageable amount right ???

John C

John C

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Just got off the phone with a great customer service tech at Oregon outdoor equipment products! I told him my story and he said that the gator blades that were listed for my Encore never developed the lift that they were suppost to and offered to send me a set with the higher lift I need free of charge! all he asked was that I report back to him via email and let him know how well they work! I will also of course report back here as well!

John C

John C

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Well new blades were a disapointment! they didn't pack the deck quite as full but still have to scrape about a 5gal bucket full after every use. guess I'll go back to the Scag blades that were on it when I bought it!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It sounds like you are really having some tuff luck with that mower. On the Scag blades I can tell you this. Scag makes their own blades to their specs and out of some extremely hard metal. They are probably one of the best built blades on the market. As far as coating under you deck I will tell you what I use on mine with great success. Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector. I will clean the underside of my deck and spray this under the bottom and try to get a good even coat all over. After it dries for a few minutes I spray another coat and I'm ready to go for the year. It dries and has a wax like coating which is dry to the touch and won't attract dust or other debree. I have a spot on the frame of my F150 that had one coat sprayed on it 10 yrs ago and it still looks as good as it did then. I use it on my disc mower when I store it for the winter. Come spring time I get it out and there is no rust on any of the stone guards or the blades. One coat of this is all it takes and when I start to mow hay it will slide right over the coated surfaces on the cutter bar.

Attachments

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
No , I don't remember the name of the product but that Mo- Deck sounds familiar. Liquid film is a very good spray lubricate but I'm not sure it would do anything for your problem, try it and see.