Bio Kleen PowerService Questions

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Hi-

I filled the tank on my BX and added the recommended amount of summer PowerService (1/4 oz., silver bottle) a month or so ago...I haven't had to run the tractor that much so the tank is still pretty much full, maybe down to a quarter... Now it's starting to get into the 30's at night here in VT, so I had a few questions regarding winter addiditive and possible gelling of the fuel:

• Is it OK to add the winter Bio Kleen PowerService (white bottle) to the already treated summer fuel?

Should I even be concerned about gelling at this point? Does it need to be colder for diesel to start gelling up?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but thought someone out there might have some good info.

Thanks for any help!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Power Service Bio-Kleen and red label Powerservice are 2 different products. Bio-Kleen is an algaecide and comes in a smaller white bottle and it's used when you are growing slime in your tank or fuel system. Myself, I use the white bottle (Powerservice) year around, winter and summer. Not sure but I believe regular Powerservice has a trace of algaecide in it. In reality, other than the Bio-Kleen it's all pretty much snake oil anyway.

I think Wolfman uses Stanadyne, not sure.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
One thing you want to do and that is keep your tank topped up. A partial tank of fuel with the air space on top can condense moisture as the temperature changes. This time of year I like to keep mine full or close to it.

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
One thing you want to do and that is keep your tank topped up. A partial tank of fuel with the air space on top can condense moisture as the temperature changes. This time of year I like to keep mine full or close to it.
Would it be ok to mix the summer (silver bottle) PowerService and the winter (white bottle)? Sorry for the term confusion; I thought Bio Kleen made PowerService.

Thanks!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
From the website

In A Fuel-Treatment Pre-Mix: Bio Kleen may be mixed with other fuel additive for addition to fuel. The end user must add sufficient Bio Kleen to the pre-mix to provide 135-1,000 ppm of Bio Kleen in the treated fuel.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Fill the tank up. Not the best idea to leave it setting partly full. Add your winter additive. They can be mixed I believe. Then run the tractor for a while. 15 minutes at least would be a guess. You want to be sure the addictive is in the pump and injector lines as well as the tank.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I wouldn't add PowerService white to fuel already containing PowerService silver. That's just my opinion.
More importantly, in Vermont I would not be caught with summer fuel in the tank during winter period. IMHO you should use up the summer fuel and replace it with winter diesel when diesel gets treated in your area.
In my area the fuel is supposedly a winter blend by November 1st (and I still add PowerService White).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
I have always done this, and I have never had a problem yet.
No such thing as winter fuel here and what we do get seems to want to gel without much cold. Lowest we have gotten the last couple years is +20F. We run both year round just in case. Cheap insurance at the very low gallons of fuel a year we run through.

EDIT TO ADD: Also run Bio Kleen at same time so have all three in the fuel. We had gelling and algae both, at different times, and was hoping the silver/gray bottle product would help clean/lubricate things up. Have not had gelling or algae since using Power Service products. And we have no clue if the fuel system is cleaner and better lubricated or not but makes us feel better so we do it.

GD

Last edited: