BH77 hydraulic lines

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi guys. Well, I finally got time to pull a couple of hoses. They're 1/4" NPTM, that being said, not sure the swivel size. 4F JIC? The FEL lines at the bucket, are JIC both ends, 15" long. Surplus has em in 18", that should work. The lines from the controller to the FEL are 42", and are 1/4" NPT but swivel on the other. Surplus has 48" that would work, but I guess I'd have to use a swivel adapter. Any guidance?
NPT and JIC are two entirely different animals. If you want swivels you have to match them to the mating parts. 1/4" NPT is dash size 04 and if you want a swivel it needs to be a NPT pipe swivel not JIC. If you have male JIC ends you need a JIC swivel.

Dan

S. W.

Equipment
B 3350 SU
Apr 30, 2017
Pecos N.M.
NPT and JIC are two entirely different animals. If you want swivels you have to match them to the mating parts. 1/4" NPT is dash size 04 and if you want a swivel it needs to be a NPT pipe swivel not JIC. If you have male JIC ends you need a JIC swivel.

Dan
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. The long hoses from the fel controller are 1/4" NPTM at that end, but the other end that connects to a hardline on the loader is a swivel. Is that likely 4F JIC?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. The long hoses from the fel controller are 1/4" NPTM at that end, but the other end that connects to a hardline on the loader is a swivel. Is that likely 4F JIC?
Its a complete guess without more information. But what i do in these situations is replace male NPT hoses with hose with female JIC swivels and use the appropriate adapters on the mating parts.

Are you sure the hose is 1/4"? That is pretty small for a backhoe supply line. If it is I prefer 6F swivels over 4F but that is purely a personal preference. The stem size (ID) on both are the same and the only difference is the wrench and thread size. Kubota tends to use 8F swivels on their 3/8 hose while I prefer 6F for 3/8 and 8F on 1/2". Regardless you still have to match the size and thread fype on the mating parts and that means measure with a caliper or mic.

Dan

S. W.

Equipment
B 3350 SU
Apr 30, 2017
Pecos N.M.
Its a complete guess without more information. But what i do in these situations is replace male NPT hoses with hose with female JIC swivels and use the appropriate adapters on the mating parts.

Are you sure the hose is 1/4"? That is pretty small for a backhoe supply line. If it is I prefer 6F swivels over 4F but that is purely a personal preference. The stem size (ID) on both are the same and the only difference is the wrench and thread size. Kubota tends to use 8F swivels on their 3/8 hose while I prefer 6F for 3/8 and 8F on 1/2". Regardless you still have to match the size and thread fype on the mating parts and that means measure with a caliper or mic.

Dan
Hi Dan. Yes, 1/4", I broke out my tap and die set to be sure. Do I understand correctly that 4F and 6F both have the same ID, just larger nut size? Thanks for your help bud. S..

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi Dan. Yes, 1/4", I broke out my tap and die set to be sure. Do I understand correctly that 4F and 6F both have the same ID, just larger nut size? Thanks for your help bud. S..
That is correct. Here are two standard 3/8" hose ends. as an example. One has a -08 JIC swivel nut end and the other is a -06 swivel. nut, As you can see in the first picture the -08 nut is larger, The second picture shows the stem end that goes inside the hose, Both stems are the same OD and ID,. The larger swivel does nothing to increase the flow in the hose and simply takes up more space where it connects. The ID of the hose is the governing factor when it comes to the cross sectional flow area. That choice of swivel size can be significant when you are trying to fit 4 hoses into a tight spot on the top of a valve,

Dan

Attachments

S. W.

Equipment
B 3350 SU
Apr 30, 2017
Pecos N.M.
That is correct. Here are two standard 3/8" hose ends. as an example. One has a -08 JIC swivel nut end and the other is a -06 swivel. nut, As you can see in the first picture the -08 nut is larger, The second picture shows the stem end that goes inside the hose, Both stems are the same OD and ID,. The larger swivel does nothing to increase the flow in the hose and simply takes up more space where it connects. The ID of the hose is the governing factor when it comes to the cross sectional flow area. That choice of swivel size can be significant when you are trying to fit 4 hoses into a tight spot on the top of a valve,

Dan
I see. And this is a pretty tight area. So, I might be ahead to go with the 4F rather than the 6F. A buddy of mine also advised me to go with female swivel on both ends and adapt to that. I sure do appreciate your help and advise. Us old farts need to stick together. Thanks again. Steve.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I see. And this is a pretty tight area. So, I might be ahead to go with the 4F rather than the 6F. A buddy of mine also advised me to go with female swivel on both ends and adapt to that. I sure do appreciate your help and advise. Us old farts need to stick together. Thanks again. Steve.
I agree with your friend and as i said earlier use hoses with swivel ends whenever possible and adapters to match threads if needed. Regardless of thread type rigid ends on hydraulic hoses are a PITA to connect and disconnect. The times when they are absolutely necessary are few and far between.

I am still uneasy with the idea the backhoe has 1/4" supply hoses on it. I am talking about the ID of the hose not the thread size on the hose end. Are you 100% on that hose size???

Dan

S. W.

Equipment
B 3350 SU
Apr 30, 2017
Pecos N.M.
I agree with your friend and as i said earlier use hoses with swivel ends whenever possible and adapters to match threads if needed. Regardless of thread type rigid ends on hydraulic hoses are a PITA to connect and disconnect. The times when they are absolutely necessary are few and far between.

I am still uneasy with the idea the backhoe has 1/4" supply hoses on it. I am talking about the ID of the hose not the thread size on the hose end. Are you 100% on that hose size???

Dan
Not sure about the hose size, but the end that fits the quick coupler at the fel controller is for sure 1/4" NPTM. The other end is swivel and fits to the hard line on the fel.

S. W.

Equipment
B 3350 SU
Apr 30, 2017
Pecos N.M.
Not sure about the hose size, but the end that fits the quick coupler at the fel controller is for sure 1/4" NPTM. The other end is swivel and fits to the hard line on the fel.
Hi Dan. Got my hoses from Surplus Center, and they look great. Beefier than OEM. And, this is 1/4" hose, 1/4" NPTM and -6 swivels. Again, I appreciate your guidance. Steve.