belt replacement

HUDDY

Equipment
kubota zero turn 421
May 1, 2024
ARKANSAS
hello....i have a kubota Z422 ...54 inch....100 hours...bought last year....i have replaced 2 belts on mower this year...100 dollars a belt ...i have less than 30 minutes on new belt and can smell rubber burning....i have checked spindles and they are all turning smoothly changed bearings on 1 because of dust cover underneath was cracked .... that didnt help...any suggestions would be appreciated

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Either something got bent and is misaligning the belt or more likely you have a bearing in a tension pulley that is going out.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Changing belts (2) on a Craftsman lawn ”tractor”….. This looked like a 20 minute job.

Four hours later….. still puzzled why new belts don’t fit…. too loose. Checked PNs… Correct PNs.

Checked Mx Manual diagram for belt-routing…. Yep, looks right… but belts still too loose.

One belt drives HST…other drives blades…. Whoops! Printed belt-routing diagram not accurate. Should have taken a pic before removing the old belts. Younger son-in-law figured it out. 🤒

One of the puzzling things about spindle bearings on my finish mower…. the spindles have a grease-fitting/zerk on top…. greasing them fills the spindle-shaft-case full of grease….but the bearings themselves are sealed bearings. No way that filling those spindles with grease does anything at all to lubricate those bearings.

A YouTube presenter demonstrates removing one of the plastic seal on the bearings so grease can get to the roller/balls. Hmmmnnn……

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
possible problem....

Carefully check the 'tension arm'. You've got 7 pulleys that need to be lined up.

Went through 3 or 4 belt on an AC130 last year and FINALLY clued in that the 'tension arm' was 'wobblely' on it's pivot shaft.Maybe the PO never greased it ? Spent an hour getting it firm and silky smooth, NO up/down play. Put new belt on, went and cut 1/5th ac of 12" tall grass NO problem.
Belts should run in center of 'flat' pulleys NOT to one edge. Also look to see if spacers/washers/shims ARE on the correct side of pulleys. Seen that before as well...oopsy.....easy to do.