Bear Cat 5540 Chipper/Shredder

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Just purchased a new Bear Cat 5540 5" Chipper/Shredder yesterday from my Kubota dealer. Got it off the trailer and hooked up to the L3200 tractor with no problems at all.
Did a couple test chips before bringing it down into the woods where I am getting ready to dig a pond for the wife.
I spent a steady 5 hours chipping and shredding trees and limbs that ranged from very small to 5" without a single flaw.
This Bear Cat is very heavy in weight, but the 3 pt. hitch does not have a problem with it at all.
The Bear Cat does not come with a discharge chute that allows you ti aim the chips, but one can be ordered for it for an additional grand. I chose to go without for now until I get used to the machine.
After spending the hours chipping yesterday, I have decided that the extra money just might be worth spending for the chute after all. I had to stop every so often to clear the area of the discharge chute so it did not clog up on me. A very small job to do to save that much money, but I think I still like the idea of being able to blow right into a trailer or cart without stopping to clear the chute area.
My only complaint about this machine is that I did not get it 10 years ago when I bought this property. I have spent countless hours burning and burning to eliminate all the piles I have made trying to clean the wooded areas behind the house. Now I can clean up as I cut and have the mulch to lay down in the wooded trails we have made and are still working on!
I highly recommend this chipper/shredder to anyone needing a machine to handle the brush and limbs.
I have tried to post a picture, but cannot seem to do it.

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Just purchased a new Bear Cat 5540 5" Chipper/Shredder yesterday from my Kubota dealer. Got it off the trailer and hooked up to the L3200 tractor with no problems at all.
I have tried to post a picture, but cannot seem to do it.
I have the same chipper and LOVE it!
Good call on getting it.
I have some photos of mine on here.
Take care,
KC

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I worked with the chipper today for three hours and the pile of chips was huge. That thing eats almost as much as I do!!