Ball on forks?

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
How far back do you folks who put a ball on one of your folks? Also, drilling the hole require a special bit? Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I tossed this together from scrap at work. The pin could be replaced with a ball easily. We have mainly pintle hitches so the pin made sense. I have moved ball hitches with it also.
IMG_4035.jpeg

IMG_4036.jpeg

IMG_2280.jpeg

Chain hooks to fork frame so it doesn’t slide off and pin on bottom keeps it from sliding up the fork blade.

Reactions: 3 users

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
I drilled both forks for a ball, if real heavy load I have a piece that goes on both forks and there is a pin that drops in the holes at the ends of the forks. It divides the load.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've never liked the 'hole in fork', maybe cause I was told it means that fork cannot be certified for commercial use and if the tip breaks off, home insurance may be null and void.

I did what Matt did, except I used a short 2" receiver. Allows me to use any sleeve, 2", 2 5/16", hook, eye, etc.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I did what Matt did, except I used a short 2" receiver. Allows me to use any sleeve, 2", 2 5/16", hook, eye, etc.
Good idea, but this is what I had on hand. Like I said 90% of our trailers are pintle. I think we have 2 trailers at my location that are ball couplers.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
My forks are about 4 inches wide, so about 2 or 3 inches back. Have been drilled for years. They are still good.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
All of my forks have a factory hole in them.
But I don't put a ball on them.
I normally use the three point and a hit to move trailers around.
The B works great for that task.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N193WWU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But then drilled a 3/4” hole about ten inches from the tip of my left fork...to accept a ball…OR to accept the threaded pin of the adaptor. (It takes a cobalt bit to drill that fork…it’s really hard steel.… the idea it would void commercial use or home insurance sounds like the typical “lawyer fear-mongering” that goes around.)

Attachments

Last edited:

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Have a hitch hole on my pallet forks built in. Considered the ball on the forks for better extension out but could find a long hitch to fit in it. Just remove the forks. This link will show what I am talking about.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
How far back do you folks who put a ball on one of your folks? Also, drilling the hole require a special bit? Thanks.
I cut a hole about three inches from the end of one of the forks. I used a hole saw that has seen better days.

My main reason for adding the ball was that I didn't want a chain to slip off the end of the fork since there was a $$$ outboard motor hanging from the chain. I've seen folks use clamps on the forks but I don't like that idea.

3.jpg

4.jpg

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Myself I don't want to screw around taking a ball off my forks when I need to move a pallet or tote with the forks. . I have a trailer mover hitch set up for for my skid steer style hitches and don't even have to get out of the cab on the skid steer to change hitches and move a trailer. I move most of my trailers with the skid steer. Once in a while I use the MX6000 with a three point style trailer mover.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Myself I don't want to screw around taking a ball off my forks when I need to move a pallet or tote with the forks. . I have a trailer mover hitch set up for for my skid steer style hitches and don't even have to get out of the cab on the skid steer to change hitches and move a trailer. I move most of my trailers with the skid steer. Once in a while I use the MX6000 with a three point style trailer mover.
I have a King Kutter 3-point receiver with various ball hitches, but there are some advantages to moving a trailer using a ball on a fork. For example, the fork can be located in the center of the tractor or anywhere between the center and the furthest outer position which can be useful if moving a trailer into or out of tight spaces. You can hook up to a trailer with the tractor centerline perpendicular to the trailer centerline, and it's easier and more comfortable moving a trailer on the front fork, particularly if you're trying to thread the needle.

Basically, having a 3-point mounted receiver and a ball on a fork gives me options.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Well, here in Ontario, commercial forklifts and operators get inspected and any fork sets( the 2 on the forklift) that aren't within spec for deflection( say both NOT 22.5" off level floor ) MUST be replaced. So far I've retrieved 6 sets of forks over 20 years. Seems if you off center a heavy load ,one fork will bend more than it's mate. Do it enough times...oopsy..'fails inspection'. Most companies will replace BOTH forks, so that's why I get lots of free forks.
I know ,different lands, different laws. I can see the safety issue though when one fork is even 1 inch higher, load is now unlevel and something tall and heavy could cause a 'problem'.
when you look at the hole in the fork in post #10, that's a LOT of material missing. It is possible the tip could break off trying to fork a heavy load. Rare, yes but I bet it's happened so guv errs on the safe side.
I can see it being a rel pain though when you need the ball then 10 minutes later, gotta find the wrenches to deball the fork for another job, then ,arrrgh...WHERE'S the 2nd wrench gone !!! Slide on receiver seems better...

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Well, here in Ontario, commercial forklifts and operators get inspected and any fork sets( the 2 on the forklift) that aren't within spec for deflection( say both NOT 22.5" off level floor ) MUST be replaced. So far I've retrieved 6 sets of forks over 20 years. Seems if you off center a heavy load ,one fork will bend more than it's mate. Do it enough times...oopsy..'fails inspection'. Most companies will replace BOTH forks, so that's why I get lots of free forks.
I know ,different lands, different laws. I can see the safety issue though when one fork is even 1 inch higher, load is now unlevel and something tall and heavy could cause a 'problem'.
when you look at the hole in the fork in post #10, that's a LOT of material missing. It is possible the tip could break off trying to fork a heavy load. Rare, yes but I bet it's happened so guv errs on the safe side.
I can see it being a rel pain though when you need the ball then 10 minutes later, gotta find the wrenches to deball the fork for another job, then ,arrrgh...WHERE'S the 2nd wrench gone !!! Slide on receiver seems better...
There are many things to worry about, or at least think about when it comes to tractors and implements, but a hole near the end of a tine isn't one of them.

Many years ago when I worked as a diver/welder, and worked in a shipyard, every forklift had a hole at the end of each tine, and all those were ragged holes cut with oxyacetylene. It's such a common modification in the construction industry and I've never heard of it ever being a problem.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
All the stresses on the fork is either compression or tension (I.E. “bending”) against the “elbow“ at the Frame. A hole anywhere in that fork (Except at that “elbow”) has almost ZERO adverse effect as regards strength of the pallet fork assy.

I’m calling BullShit on any claim that drilling a hole for a trailer ball in pallet forks has Any adverse effect with regard to the Strength of the forks.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you are concerned about OSHA regulations any modification to forks needs to be approved at manufacture. Holes drilled later could cause problems on a job site, but personal use is your risk.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Had a machinist neighbor try and drill a 1" hole in one fork for a hitch ball, went nowhere with the steel used being too hard, so he used a cutting torch. Did a pretty decent job.
The fine threaded 1" mount pin on the 2" ball works well for hand-install and removal, it's a big nut and lock washer so twisting it on tight enough by hand has always held.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Welll…….HOW the hole is created might affect things a bit…. (a torch certainly has greater chance of changing temper …therefore strength.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I've never liked the 'hole in fork', maybe cause I was told it means that fork cannot be certified for commercial use and if the tip breaks off, home insurance may be null and void.

Drill the hole. Some guys flame cut holes (bad!) giving un-controlled heat treatments to their forks.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Think I will use the hitch built in to my pallet forks for now. Will try to find a long shaft for the ball. Just have to remove the forks. But will find someone with a drill press to have it done correctly down the road. Thanks for all the replies folks.