Backhoe control bracket cracked into

ob1jeeper

Equipment
L3240, loader, backhoe, forks, gannon
Mar 25, 2018
Wickenburg, Arizona USA
Was clearing brush this afternoon with the BH on my L3240D, when the BH bucket control suddenly stopped working. Was able to get it back to the shop where I discovered that one of the control pivot brackets had broken into, taking one of the mounting bolts with it.

Was able to weld the bracket back together, added a patch over the welds, then replace the two bolts with longer ones.

Sure seems like a flimsy design to me...

Fractured bracket
IMG_5276.JPG

Bolt head missing. Was lucky that enough was still exposed that I was able to get it out using vice-grips.
IMG_5277.JPG

Tack-welded together, followed by grinding off the excess, then making an over-lay plate welded to the top of the bracket, drilled to match the attach holes of the orig. brkt..
IMG_5283.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Nice job!

I love having a welder. It's right up there at the top of my "Most Favorite Tools" list.

The overlay plate sounds like a good idea too.(y)

Reactions: 1 users

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Nice job!
Yeah, that doesn't seem like something that should break at all.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Nice job!

I love having a welder. It's right up there at the top of my "Most Favorite Tools" list.

The overlay plate sounds like a good idea too.(y)
"I love having a welder" too......
I wish I had learned to use it!

Reactions: 2 users

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Was clearing brush this afternoon with the BH on my L3240D, when the BH bucket control suddenly stopped working. Was able to get it back to the shop where I discovered that one of the control pivot brackets had broken into, taking one of the mounting bolts with it.

Was able to weld the bracket back together, added a patch over the welds, then replace the two bolts with longer ones.

Sure seems like a flimsy design to me...

Fractured bracket
View attachment 127542

Bolt head missing. Was lucky that enough was still exposed that I was able to get it out using vice-grips.
View attachment 127543

Tack-welded together, followed by grinding off the excess, then making an over-lay plate welded to the top of the bracket, drilled to match the attach holes of the orig. brkt..
View attachment 127544
Which backhoe do you have?

ob1jeeper

Equipment
Mar 25, 2018
Wickenburg, Arizona USA
I am going to guess the bolt loosened and continued use wallowed the side of the hole out. New replacement bracket is a whopping $37.

Dan
Neither of the two holes were wallowed out, and the piece that was broken off was firmly retained in place by the one fastener which did not fail, or else I would not have had that piece to re-weld into position.

I suspect that the failure of the fastener with the missing head was what precipitated the failure of the bracket. There's a good chance that it was the one which was partially fractured during install, and failed over time, as BOTH of these fasteners were WAY tighter than what they should have been, based on the amount of force required to remove them.

Which was a good reason for me to have replaced BOTH of them with new fasteners when re-assembled.

Last edited:

ob1jeeper

Equipment
Mar 25, 2018
Wickenburg, Arizona USA
Which backhoe do you have?
I am not sure of the model #, as I bought this tractor and BH as a used unit, with a 6" loader bucket, and ALL of the model stickers of both the loader and the BH were removed before I purchased it. AND..., I am not familiar enough with these machines, to ID them by visual cues.

There is some casting numbers on the base. If you think it may be identifiable via that, I'll get pics to share.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I am not sure of the model #, as I bought this tractor and BHJ as a used unit, with a 6" loader bucket, and ALL of the model stickers of both the loader and the BH were removed before I purchased it. AND..., I am not familiar enough with these machines, to ID them by visual cues.

There is some casting numbers on the base. If you think it may be identifiable via that, I'll get pics to share.
According to Kubota BH75, BH76, BH77, BH90, and BH92 were all options. The BH7x abd BH9x models are easily differentisted by physical size. That would be a good start.

Dan

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
It's 100", so it must be a BH9x Thanks for the help in identifying it... ;)
Thanks for letting us know! The next indicator is the boom. I believe the BH90 has a straight boom and the BH92 has a curved one. I have the BH92 so I will be checking mine to see if I have the same problem developing.

Thanks again!!

ob1jeeper

Equipment
Mar 25, 2018
Wickenburg, Arizona USA
Thanks for letting us know! The next indicator is the boom. I believe the BH90 has a straight boom and the BH92 has a curved one. I have the BH92 so I will be checking mine to see if I have the same problem developing.

Thanks again!!
I will double check when we return home. Am in Moab, UT for a few weeks Jeeping with friends & former work-mates... ;)