Back blade and gravel drive.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I have a 300' plus drive and put down some more stone this year. Bought it from the same place but it seems larger and not packing down as good. I usually plow with a front blade on the 8N but tried a while back and until it freezes more it was moving a lot of stone to the sides. I had this back blade for the 8n and some wheel brackets from an old 3pt finish mower. I figured if the wheels could keep it up an inch or two it could do till it freezes and if more snow back to the 8N. The wheels are adjustable with spacers but need new tires. Rather than get the HF specials I bought some better ones from zoro for about $20 each. The are rated at 30 psi and 400lbs each.

Tried it today and it works quite well. Was able to also do some along the edge of the woods, about 700' for dog walking. I made it hydraulic angle for the 8N but not wanting to mix fluids I bought an extra cylinder and with 2 pins to swap out and it is the same one I use for my LP stone rake. The one drawback with it right now is I can't reverse the blade to bush back. I need to make another bracket for the cylinder or remove the cylinder and use the pin manually to angle.

I paralleled the 3rd function valve to the back along with a switch paralleled too. That is the yellow box on the right roll bar.It allows me to change the angle from there while i am turned looking back. It is the same connections and switch I use for the hydraulic thumb for my BH77. The box is magnetic but so far it works good there for the backhoe too.

Bill

Attachments

Reactions: 6 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Chanceywd nice work on that blade! I wish I had wheels on mine, but for a guy that went to school to learn how to weld...I dont have a welder! One of these days!

Reactions: 1 user

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Looks good!! I was thinking of doing something like that for my front snowblower for spring/fall.

How exactly do you adjust? (is it a pin or screw thread?) - close up of one wheel would be appreciated.

Well done.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Looks good!! I was thinking of doing something like that for my front snowblower for spring/fall.

How exactly do you adjust? (is it a pin or screw thread?) - close up of one wheel would be appreciated.

Well done.
Thank you,
If I remember later I will get a picture. But they have spacers on the pivot shaft. you move them from top to bottom of the mount. there is 1/2", 1", and 1-1/2" approx so I can raise it about 3" total. I welded the mounts on with the blade leveled and with no spacers and wheels touching the floor. To make it level if I change the spacers much I can level with the top link so the wheels pivot mount is vertical and pivots smoothly. There is a 3/16" hole in top of spindle for a hairpin clip or cotter key.

the wheels are 10" pneumatic tire.

Bill

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Thank you,
If I remember later I will get a picture. But they have spacers on the pivot shaft. you move them from top to bottom of the mount. there is 1/2", 1", and 1-1/2" approx so I can raise it about 3" total. I welded the mounts on with the blade leveled and with no spacers and wheels touching the floor. To make it level if I change the spacers much I can level with the top link so the wheels pivot mount is vertical and pivots smoothly. There is a 3/16" hole in top of spindle for a hairpin clip or cotter key.

the wheels are 10" pneumatic tire.

Bill
Excellent work Bill. Very utilitarian and basic. (the best kind of engineering most of the time)

I appreciate the extra details. I zoomed in but couldn't make it out. I have similar wheels here just
mounted to a pc of plywood that I used for a little "trolley" one time, but it never gets used, so thinking
of repurposing them.

I had considered maybe those jacks from a trailer, you can buy for $45-$50 to make adjustments quicker, but seems like you've solved it w/o all that cost and fuss.

2 thumbs up from me !

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Excellent work Bill. Very utilitarian and basic. (the best kind of engineering most of the time)

I appreciate the extra details. I zoomed in but couldn't make it out. I have similar wheels here just
mounted to a pc of plywood that I used for a little "trolley" one time, but it never gets used, so thinking
of repurposing them.

I had considered maybe those jacks from a trailer, you can buy for $45-$50 to make adjustments quicker, but seems like you've solved it w/o all that cost and fuss.

2 thumbs up from me !
Here is a picture of the wheel.

Attachments

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Used steel wheels that I had kicking round but would have used solid rubber if I had to purchase. Works great on straight runs on my 4000foot driveway.

Attachments

Last edited:

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Used steel wheels that I had kicking round but would have used solid rubber if I had to purchase. Works great on straight runs on my 4000foot driveway.
Nice job on the wheels! I see most of you do nice work including finish painting. I need to sandblast and paint my blade for sure! I could spend a week or two doing several pieces around here.

Bill

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Here is a picture of the wheel.
Bill - - that looks perfect in my book! Super job.

Betting that took a little figurin' to get that true and plumb.

Weld looks great too! (y)

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Thanks fellas !

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Looks like you could borrow a couple of wheels off your rear mower, if you have one.