B8200 wont start

christof421

Equipment
1990 b8200
Jul 10, 2023
Connecticut
I've owned this b8200 for about a year and never an issue with starting. Went to start yesterday and when turning ignition key does not crank. I cleaned the battery connections between battery and starter as well as ground. Also bypassed the clutch saftey switch. I noticed when I click the key forward once the gas Guage and red dash lights still work, but when I click forward again to ignition the red light go out gas Guage doesn't work. Not sure if that's what usually happens I never noticed. Any ideas what else to check? Could it be a bad ingition?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So - lets talk battery, TAKE it out - take it to a local "parts" place and let them test it - it should be free.

Check to see if my some small change the PTO lever got bumped = believe me when I say this can happen - BTDT.

Just for S and G's - geared or hydro?

Report back what you find

Reactions: 1 user

christof421

Equipment
1990 b8200
Jul 10, 2023
Connecticut
So - lets talk battery, TAKE it out - take it to a local "parts" place and let them test it - it should be free.

Check to see if my some small change the PTO lever got bumped = believe me when I say this can happen - BTDT.

Thanks for the tips. I can get the battery tested soon. It's not too old and I did fully charge it overnight and did not make a difference. The tractor is geared, and I did check the pto lever and unfortunately did not get bumped. Wish that was it!

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
Thanks for the tips. I can get the battery tested soon. It's not too old and I did fully charge it overnight and did not make a difference. The tractor is geared, and I did check the pto lever and unfortunately did not get bumped. Wish that was it!
does your model have the safety switch under the seat ?. also check to see if its in gear ?. ( i do not know if this model has a safety switch to keep it from starting if in gear ? ). but most tractors have a safety switch built into the bottom of the seat.

christof421

Equipment
1990 b8200
Jul 10, 2023
Connecticut
does your model have the safety switch under the seat ?. also check to see if its in gear ?. ( i do not know if this model has a safety switch to keep it from starting if in gear ? ). but most tractors have a safety switch built into the bottom of the seat.
I'm almost positive there is not a saftey switch under the seat. I tired to find one and didn't see anything. Also checked if it's in gear but that's not the case either. Appreciate the input.

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
I'm almost positive there is not a saftey switch under the seat. I tired to find one and didn't see anything. Also checked if it's in gear but that's not the case either. Appreciate the input.
ok...hmm..well..i know i ran into a no start issue when i first got my b2100, unknown to me..i hit the lever while getting off..and barely moved the pto lever..sure enough..after i messed with the key for a bit..is when i noticed the pto lever was not where it was suppose to be !..lol. and also..my b2100 it too..does not have a safety switch mounted under the seat..but it sure has alot of switches everywhere else !..lol.

christof421

Equipment
1990 b8200
Jul 10, 2023
Connecticut
ok...hmm..well..i know i ran into a no start issue when i first got my b2100, unknown to me..i hit the lever while getting off..and barely moved the pto lever..sure enough..after i messed with the key for a bit..is when i noticed the pto lever was not where it was suppose to be !..lol. and also..my b2100 it too..does not have a safety switch mounted under the seat..but it sure has alot of switches everywhere else !..lol.
Hmm alright can't hurt for me to double check pto!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
One way to check the safety switches that has been recommended is to hold the key in the crank position and then move the lever or pedal back and forth to see if it will start cranking as the switch is slowly moved into the sweet spot for the switch. You can test the seat switch if there is by rocking around in the seat.

I assume that you will need to do one pedal or lever or seat at a time and then if it does not crank be sure to put that lever into the start position before moving to the next one.

Good luck, I have an old tractor with only one safety switch on it so never really needed to do any of that type of testing.

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
One way to check the safety switches that has been recommended is to hold the key in the crank position and then move the lever or pedal back and forth to see if it will start cranking as the switch is slowly moved into the sweet spot for the switch. You can test the seat switch if there is by rocking around in the seat.

I assume that you will need to do one pedal or lever or seat at a time and then if it does not crank be sure to put that lever into the start position before moving to the next one.

Good luck, I have an old tractor with only one safety switch on it so never really needed to do any of that type of testing.
thats how i found out my lever was moved ?..it kept turning the key while barely moving the lever..sure enough..it cranked !. it does not take much at all to keep it from starting if a lever is not in that '' sweet spot '' !..lol.

Mountainman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501, B7100, B6000, BX24, B1750, B2400
Jul 10, 2022
Attalla Alabama
mossycreekoutdoors.com
There is the large terminal on the solenoid where positive from battery goes then there is a small terminal with probably a spade connector on the solenoid next to it. If you jump across those 2 terminals the engine should turn over. If so that eliminates battery, starter and solenoid assuming it turns over good.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I bet your ignition switch is shot. One randomly failed on my B7200 without warning and it's the same switch on your machine.

BTW, the only safety switch on a B8200 is at the clutch.....

Donystoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
If it is like the b7200 I had the only safety switch was on the clutch pedal. The battery cables are known to corrode internally so you could try putting a jumper cable across each of the two cables trying one at a time. IE, on the ground side clip to the negative terminal and the other end to a good tractor ground. then try to start tractor. Then take the jumper and put one side on the battery positive and the other end to the other end of the cable probably on the solenoid and try to start it.
These cables are known to corrode enough to still turn on the dash lights but not pass the current required for the starter.
If the cables seem fine, then I would be looking at the starting circuit including the key switch.

christof421

Equipment
1990 b8200
Jul 10, 2023
Connecticut
I bet your ignition switch is shot. One randomly failed on my B7200 without warning and it's the same switch on your machine.

BTW, the only safety switch on a B8200 is at the clutch.....
Thanks for the info. I ordered a new switch so I'll soon see if that's the issue.

christof421

Equipment
1990 b8200
Jul 10, 2023
Connecticut

I took battery to local parts place and they said battery is good. It's only 2 years old. I replaced the battery ground, the ignition switch, and positive terminal on the battery. I CAN jump the starter solenoid and get the tractor to turn over, but cannot start with key. The dash lights do not work either. That's where I am at currently.

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
I took battery to local parts place and they said battery is good. It's only 2 years old. I replaced the battery ground, the ignition switch, and positive terminal on the battery. I CAN jump the starter solenoid and get the tractor to turn over, but cannot start with key. The dash lights do not work either. That's where I am at currently.
if no dash lights at all ?, then i would be looking for a blown fuse in the fuse box.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes...
you really,really need to get the wiring diagram from the WSM to properly,quickly troubleshoot and fix 'electrical ' problems.