B8200 PTO Noise Identification

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
When I push in the clutch and have the PTO engaged, as the PTO slows down I can here a clicking noise (the noise is somewhat like the noise from the rear wheels of the cement trucks). The clicking stops once the PTO stops.

If i simulate the same action as above, but when I push in the clutch i simultaneously place the PTO lever into neutral, the noise is absent as the PTO slows down and stops.

The PTO is currently driving a 60 inch mower deck. There is a pulley and a belt on the PTO.

When I get a chance, I will remove the belt from the PTO to determine if the noise is eliminated.

76_Bronco

Equipment
B7200 4WD w/FEL, 4' disc, 4' Brush Hog, 14" Plow, 4' Blade, JD 246 2 row Planter
Mar 28, 2012
Rainsville, Al
When I push in the clutch and have the PTO engaged, as the PTO slows down I can here a clicking noise (the noise is somewhat like the noise from the rear wheels of the cement trucks). The clicking stops once the PTO stops.

If i simulate the same action as above, but when I push in the clutch i simultaneously place the PTO lever into neutral, the noise is absent as the PTO slows down and stops.

The PTO is currently driving a 60 inch mower deck. There is a pulley and a belt on the PTO.

When I get a chance, I will remove the belt from the PTO to determine if the noise is eliminated.
Thats normal, and it's for your safety ;). The older tractors that don't have the over-run clutched PTO and can be pushed several feet by the momentum of brush hog blades. I know of a neigbor that was killed while bush hogging, he planned to stop at the edge of a steep hill and was pushed over the edge, then the tractor rolled over on him. Stepping on the clutch won't stop the forward momentum while bush hogging with an older tractor.
Here is a good explanation from SDV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5-XUE09by4

Last edited:

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
Thanks for the video reference.

In the video he talks and shows the override clutch accessory and also show how it clicks but does not talk much about a clicking sound on a tractor.

Does the b8200 have the "override clutch" functionality as part the the design and is the clicking the same concept as that demonstrated in the video?

Sorry for the follow up question, but just want to be very sure that I am not damaging the tractor. I plan to work it hard for the remainder of the summer.

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
I found a thread within this group that mentioned that when the PTO is engaged with the engine off, the PTO shaft should turn clockwise freely, but not turn counterclockwise.

I validated this on my tractor. Also, when turning clockwise I could here the clicking noise.

76_Bronco

Equipment
B7200 4WD w/FEL, 4' disc, 4' Brush Hog, 14" Plow, 4' Blade, JD 246 2 row Planter
Mar 28, 2012
Rainsville, Al
Thanks for the video reference.

In the video he talks and shows the override clutch accessory and also show how it clicks but does not talk much about a clicking sound on a tractor.

Does the b8200 have the "override clutch" functionality as part the the design and is the clicking the same concept as that demonstrated in the video?

Sorry for the follow up question, but just want to be very sure that I am not damaging the tractor. I plan to work it hard for the remainder of the summer.
Yes, it's internal just like my b7200. And yes it will make the same clicking sound.