B7200hstd transmission/clutch problem?

fzaidle

Equipment
B7200 with loader
Dec 12, 2012
tulsa, ok
b7200sht clutch - question
hello, i just bought a b7200hst, i am new to tractors in general. I have very little info on the previous life of this tractor. It starts fine and engine seems to run just fine, the bucket and rear hitch both operate just fine (up,down, etc). The problem is the tractor doesnt not move forward or reverse very fast?. it was very low on hydro fluid and is leaking fluid by the hydro block (i think? it is on the right side of engine, a hydro hose coming out and a flat bolt under it, both hose and bolt seems to be leaking).
I did put some more hydro fluid in it, it did not seem to fix the problem.
Also, I do have a very dumb question.... what is the clutch for on a HST tractor? when should i use it? could that be the problem?

thanks , any help is greatly appreciated.

Frank

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Sounds like you are in low-range. Nearest your right hip there's a short lever, change range.
The clutch is for starting the engine (press clutch to enable start) and starting/stopping PTO implements. Otherwise keep the foot off the clutch pedal.

fzaidle

Equipment
B7200 with loader
Dec 12, 2012
tulsa, ok
Thanks for the response, I did check that. In fact when it is in high it barely moves at all. When in low, I am able to move tractor to park etc..... It does make a grinding noise when I push pedal ( but stops after moving some.
Any guesses on why it will not move good in high? I plan to clean strainers and change filter etc.... But since the bucket works good , I am concluding the hydraulic oil system is fine (maybe not).

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
I would hazard to guess it is one of three things -

First a hydraulic issue related to the wrong fluid, a wrong fluid level of a blockage and/or a restriction.

Secondly a miss adjusted, binding or restricted travel on the HST pedal and/or the linkage associated with it.

Or

Thirdly, the HST was internaly damaged from running it is a compromised condition - IE one of the above listed things.

Hopefully it is the one of the first two and not the last as HST's get pretty pricey to repair. Not that they are failure prone really, but just like anything else in life, including humans, when abused, things break.

David

Spina

Equipment
B7200, tiller, loader, rake
Mar 10, 2012
Westford, ma
I have the same tractor with a similar symptom. I'm assuming it is clutch slippage and needs replacement. Typically it has minimal movement under load; but, seems to operate better without a load such as minimal weight in the loader and a level to a declined surface.

fzaidle

Equipment
B7200 with loader
Dec 12, 2012
tulsa, ok
anyone else believe that this restricted movement issue is clutch related? I too thought it might be the clutch, but i do not really understand the clutch operation on a HST tractor.

I plan to service the transmission fluid, stainers, etc and will report back to see if that helped.
thanks,