B7100 regulator

Richsark

Equipment
Kubota B7100D and rotovator
Mar 23, 2014
Sark, Channel Islands, UK
Hi everyone
My reg is putting 18volts+ into my battery.
I would like to replace my original mechanical reg with a solid state one,
As anyone ideas what I could use, my 7100 has a alternator not a dynamo
Regards Rich

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've never heard of a solid state option for that, it's real old and obsolete technology.
If you want an upgrade go to an alternator with internal regulator setup. ;)

Richsark

Equipment
Mar 23, 2014
Hi wolfman
Sorry when I said solid state that was wrong:confused: what I should of said was a modern replacement for my old mechanical regulator that I could just wire in.

Richsark

Equipment
Mar 23, 2014
Hi, sorry I have not been very clear with this post, I have a alternator already fitted to my engine but my voltage regulator is not working, I'm getting too much voltage at the battery which seem to be cooking my battery.
So I thought if I replaced the original voltage reg with a new modern one that would be the problem solved. But I don't know what to replace it with:confused:
Thanks Rich

Last edited:

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
Sorry Rich, I missed that in your first post.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi, sorry I have not been very clear with this post, I have a alternator already fitted to my engine but my voltage regulator is not working, I'm getting too much voltage at the battery which seem to be cooking my battery.
So I thought if I replaced the original voltage reg with a new modern one that would be the problem solved. But I don't know what to replace it with:confused:
Thanks Rich
Rich, you were right when you asked your original question, a non mechanical regulator is called a solid state regulator.
There are generic solid state regulators out there in the market, problem being they are made for an alternator and not a dynamo.
An alternator has parts internal to covert the AC output voltage to unregulated DC and then the solid state regulator can do the work, but a dynamo just puts out an unregulated AC signal.
Now if you really want to do it, along with a solid state regulator you will need a bridge rectifier (cheap and easy to work with).
You would wire the two output wires from the dynamo to the bridge rectifier then the output of the bridge would feed power to the regulator, and then the regulator feeds the battery.

So it can be done just takes a little more work to do it. ;)

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Hi Rich, i removed the external reg completly, i wanted a bit more capacity so fitted a higher output alterator with a built in reg, cost me £25 for the allmost new higher capacity alt and it fitted perfectly on the B7100, job done, better capacity and got rid of the old external regulator etc.
plenty of them on fleabay at silly cheap price at the moment too.

rob

Richsark

Equipment
Mar 23, 2014
Hi Rob that alternator in the thread looks the same as the one on my b7100 which is a Nipon, but not regulated, I've just had a quick look on the net and I'm back to keeping my alternator and trying to find a regulator that I can just wire in. Are such thing so hard to find:(

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
yep, allmost identical size as the old unit, but with a better output and built-in regulator.

I did have the old reg that came the 7100, worked fine and in A1 condition just surplus after upgrade, i'll have a look in the parts dept over the weekend richard.
rob

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I had the same problem. I tried a new regulator and it didn't help. Traced out all the wires and found one of the 6 regulator wires was not connected when a previous owner mis-wired my tractor. Once re-wired I'm putting out 14.x V.