B7100 Power Steering upgrade complete

hipper

Apr 5, 2016
Burton, Ohio
So, I'm a new member here, but I have learned a lot from this board over the last few months and for that, I thank you all. I recently finished my project of adding power steering to a 1995 vintage B7100 and thought I would share some pics.

I'm not a fabricator and some of this isn't very pretty. However, it did clean up in the bead blaster and looks better with a coat of paint on it. Most importantly, it works. I can get more pics and provide more detail if anyone wants them.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome, and nice work! That's a clean install.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Excellent work !!
What was the total cost across the board to complete?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nice job!
Technically you didn't upgrade to power steering, you changed to hydrostatic steering, way better than power steering, as there is no feedback in the steering wheel when you hit things with the front tires. ;)

hipper

Apr 5, 2016
Burton, Ohio
Thank you all. I will try to get some better pics of the finished product. I didn't keep track of the cost as I didn't want to know how much I spent (and I threw away all the receipts). But, if I had to pull from memory, it would look like this:

-Orbital valve, column,- about 100.00 shipped off ebay
-cylinder - Decided to buy new because I new it would work, had threaded ends, and all mounting hardware including brackets - about 175.00 shipped
-Hoses for cylinder and a few fittings - 65.00 from local shop (all Parker)
-Few more fittings - about 30 bucks
-Final three hoses for In, Out, and PB (and a few more fittings) - 200.00
Made the mistake of going directly to the Parker store for this round
-Had the wheel laying around
-all brackets made from scrap steel already on hand

I probably have close to 50 or 60 bucks in fittings that I didn't need and will be returning.

So, total came in somewhere just shy of 500 bucks and a weeks worth of my time (not including the MONTHS of planning it all in my head). Most of my hoses have 90 degree ends on them which REALLY drive the cost of hoses up. I could have saved close to 100 bucks if I had re-used some old fittings, used pipe thread fittings instead of JIC, and bought all hoses from local shop instead of the Parker store. I just wanted to limit the number of connections (fittings) I had in the system. I still want to replace the old hoses from the FEL and connect using the PB port from the FEL instead of the "out". Next is to rebuild the FEL valve and one lift cylinder because they leak.

Thanks again for the compliments and all the info here on the board.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Nice work!!! Where did you tap in for the hydraulic supply?

lastdrift

Equipment
b7100 and 60in mower
Dec 2, 2015
kirkwood pa,
Nice work looks like a clean job,I have the same machine want to install that power steering set up and install a loader also can you pm mail me if possible thanks Jerry,

hipper

Apr 5, 2016
Burton, Ohio
Update......

Sorry I've been away from the board for a while. I have been tweaking my setup for a while as I ran into some issues and finally got it all corrected last night.

I was wrong to assume the steering control unit had an internal relief valve, it does NOT. Therefore, when the cylinder bottoms out, the steering valve would continue to build pressure. Since there was no relief, this turned into back pressure against the loader valve. One turn too sharp and the pressure blew a crack in the casting of the loader valve.

Well, I tried to have it welded, but it just didn't work so I sourced a new valve body, reassembled it, and put it all back together.

Except this time, I installed an external relief valve in line with the pressure line to the steering valve. I also installed a gauge to make sure the relief was adjusted properly. Now, everything works perfectly and the steering stops when the cylinder is fully extended or retracted (like it should)

SO....My final plumbing goes like this:

from diverter block on tractor to FEL valve
from FEL valve power beyond to steering valve (via relief valve)
from steering valve power beyond to diverter block
and then back to the 3 point like from the factory.

I have the FEL, steering, and relief all returning to the tank via the fill port in front of the seat.

I used quick couplers on the FEL valve so I can still remove it. I simply disconnect the tank line (line stays with loader, just the coupler end on the tractor), disconnect the pressure line from diverter block (again, hose stays with loader), disconnect the power beyond line from the FEL valve and attach it to the pressure side of the diverter block. Not sure if you followed that, but it's really pretty simple.

Anyway, enjoy some new pics. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help. I may even entertain putting a kit together for this as everything is "bolt on". Let me know if you think anyone would be interested.

Attachments

vshockey10

Dec 14, 2016
Wind Lake
great thread. Looks good. thinking about picking up a similar tractor this weekend. Hope this is still working well for you. would like to do this if it ends in my garage

Well the B7100 HST ended up coming home with me. interested in adding hydraulic steering as you have if you are selling kits.

MarkB6200D

Equipment
JD 647 Tiller, Frontier BB5048L, Woods RCC42 Rotary Cutter, and 4' Disc Harrow
Jan 8, 2017
Ferndale Washington
I like your conversion for power steering. God knows I want power steering on my little Kubota B6200D. I am going to attempt a different power steering conversion. EPAS or electric power assisted steering. All the new cars seem to have it and it appears that hydraulic steering is a thing of the past within the next 5 years on new cars. All car makers are switching to EPAS to save a minimal amount on gas mileage to meet stricter fleet mpg averages mandated by the US government. I have been researching kits and DIY conversions on YouTube and its not been applied to a tractor as of yet but the EPAS Kit conversions are going on classic cars and hot rods now. Cars built before 1961 didn't have the option of power steering. Here is a link ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKzCaEjvJeM ) suggesting a power steering conversion for 100 dollars on a sports car. Once you watch that you will see more options and can watch another (DIY) Do it yourself installation on a commercial mower. All good info. I plan to convert it to my steering column as the commercial mower and most cars are doing but lack needed space to mount it without modifying my fuel tank size or destroy the dash. I plan to customize my fuel tank a little to provide the room needed for the EPAS motor and drive assembly with a aluminum reduced size custom fuel tank. Have a custom tank with maybe a gallon less fuel capacity. The yanmar 3 cylinder motor I have will never miss the extra fuel storage being a miser on fuel already. I can use the tractor all day long and never use more than half of the 3.5 gallon original tank.
I just received the EPAS Motor/gear drive (eBay $30.00) last week to measure it to fit. In about a month I want to get started on disassembly and measuring it all to fit and a new a fuel tank built. I still have to purchase the electrical adapter kit also sold on eBay for $49.00 and built in Portugal just for this modified system to control the sensitivity of electric power assisted steering without the cars computer. Should be an interesting project when all said and done. No draw on the hydraulics of my tractor is the reason i am going EPAS. I will take pictures of this project as I go and hopefully all goes well and I Will have "new car, one finger steering" on my little Kubota!:)

Last edited:

JoeUser

Equipment
B7100
Sep 18, 2018
Carrollton, TX
I will take pictures of this project as I go and hopefully all goes well and I Will have "new car, one finger steering" on my little Kubota!:)
I know this thread is very old, but was wondering how it all worked out?

I'm thinking something similar for my newly-purchased B7100-D, and am weighing the differences between electric steering and hydraulics.