B7100 Overhauled now trying to seize up

cviola2005

Jun 8, 2016
Clarkrange, TN, USA
On some, it would start immediately and on others it would start after 10-15 seconds of running. In all cases, the noise is almost unbearable, and the engine is loaded so much that it bogs down to almost stalling. In all cases though, the hydraulic lines where disconnected, so the noise is probably a lot louder than yours.

Usually the return line is a hard metal line, where as the pressure is usually flexible. It may or not move enough to squeeze a flat plate in between pump and block. It will have to move approximately 3/4 inch.

Something is causing it, we just have to isolate everything possible.

Does your engine have a fuel stop solenoid, or just manual shutoff?

sanddog

Equipment
L4240 B7100
Jul 10, 2016
Spicewood, Texas
On some, it would start immediately and on others it would start after 10-15 seconds of running. In all cases, the noise is almost unbearable, and the engine is loaded so much that it bogs down to almost stalling. In all cases though, the hydraulic lines where disconnected, so the noise is probably a lot louder than yours.

Usually the return line is a hard metal line, where as the pressure is usually flexible. It may or not move enough to squeeze a flat plate in between pump and block. It will have to move approximately 3/4 inch.

Something is causing it, we just have to isolate everything possible.

Does your engine have a fuel stop solenoid, or just manual shutoff?

This little tractor just has a manual shutoff. I ran in Friday and it never did stall this time out. Unfortunately without a tach, I cannot really tell for sure exactly how fast I am running the motor and at what "higher" rpms the probably begins to appear. I started out a little above idle, but then was soon well above idle at maybe 1,000 rpm+ and drove around the neighborhood without issue. It began to rain, so I put it high range and speed up the motor to probably 1,200 - 1,400 rpm and drove home. The motor never did stall.

I discussed the various scenarios with the person that did my machine work and he said he had never seen a motor act like this, thus suggesting it is something other than the motor. Whatever it is, it does seem to continue to improve the more I drive it?? For now, I am going to just keep running it hopefully every weekend for the next month before I spend any more time tearing something else apart.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Post a video of it running, that can tell us a lot. ;)

mfljr

Apr 7, 2016
TX
It would appear that although both the machine shop and I checked all tolerances after the rebuild and a second time when I got worried and tore it back down that maybe the motor is just "tight" on the fresh overhaul and is starting to loosen up a bit. I does seem to be improving as I have been able to slowly run longer times and higher rpms. It is still a puzzle that it could appear to "freeze up" but then be just fine in 30 seconds. When I took the motor back apart after I first experienced this apparent "freeze up", there were no signs anywhere of any wear??
It is not normal for newly rebuilt engines to be "tight" to the point that they seize up during initial operation.

Not even close to normal...

I'd get an oil analysis run on this engine ASAP, this will tell you for sure 100% if you are really seizing up the engine or not.

An engine does not seize up without 'making' metal, and an oil analysis will tell you where to look, or will tell you that everything internal is operating correctly and you can stop looking there.

Good luck!