B3350SU Water In Fuel Tank and Regeneration

rancher1524

Equipment
Tractor LX4020 B3350SU
May 11, 2016
Evans, Washington
Had a recent experience with my B3350SU. The tractor went into a Parked Regeneration mode, after it finished Regenerating it would start all over all by itself. This happened 3 time in a row and it still wanted to do another Regeneration. I shut the Tractor off and waited till the next morning and tried again. When I started the tractor it went into Parked Regeneration and preformed 3 more Regeneration cycles all by itself and then I shut it off and called the Dealer. I took the tractor the the Dealer the next day. The tractor sat in the back lot before the Dealer could get a look at it. It rained off and on for the time it was in his back lot. The mechanic hooked the tractor up to the computer and it verified the tractor had gone through 6 unsuccessful Regeneration cycles. The mechanic then tried a forced Regeneration and the computer indicated the Diesel Particulate Filter was clogged and needed to be replaced. Dealer Called Kubota and they sent a person out to look at the tractor. They took one look at the tractor and said you have water in the fuel, new Diesel Particulate Filter would not be covered under warranty. No one know how water got into the fuel. The Dealer drained the fuel tank, filled with fresh fuel. Started the tractor and Regenerated with no problem. It did take over an hour to complete the Regeneration. We had more rain before I could pick the tractor up from the dealer. All this time the tractor had been sitting on the trailer I used the get my tractor to the dealer. When I got home I drove the tractor off the trailer and got about 30 feet and the tractor engine died. It would not restart. I looked at the fuel filter and the site glass was full of water. I drained over a cup of water from the fuel tank. Tractor stated up and has been working great since and Regenerating without a problem. Where did the water come from.
The only thing me and the dealer could think of was when it rained the fuel tank cooled and as the water from the rain ran over the fuel cap, the water was sucked up the vent and into the fuel tank. My tractor has always been under cover and was never out in the rain until I took it to the dealer. A few weeks after this all happened I deliberately left my tractor out in the rain. You guessed it, when I stated the tractor water quickly replaced the fuel in the fuel filter bowl. Somehow when it rains water is getting sucked up under the fuel cap. The dealer called today and they ordered me a new fuel cap to see if that solves the problem. The fuel tank was pressure tested and no leaks were found.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Had a recent experience with my B3350SU. The tractor went into a Parked Regeneration mode, after it finished Regenerating it would start all over all by itself. This happened 3 time in a row and it still wanted to do another Regeneration. I shut the Tractor off and waited till the next morning and tried again. When I started the tractor it went into Parked Regeneration and preformed 3 more Regeneration cycles all by itself and then I shut it off and called the Dealer. I took the tractor the the Dealer the next day. The tractor sat in the back lot before the Dealer could get a look at it. It rained off and on for the time it was in his back lot. The mechanic hooked the tractor up to the computer and it verified the tractor had gone through 6 unsuccessful Regeneration cycles. The mechanic then tried a forced Regeneration and the computer indicated the Diesel Particulate Filter was clogged and needed to be replaced. Dealer Called Kubota and they sent a person out to look at the tractor. They took one look at the tractor and said you have water in the fuel, new Diesel Particulate Filter would not be covered under warranty. No one know how water got into the fuel. The Dealer drained the fuel tank, filled with fresh fuel. Started the tractor and Regenerated with no problem. It did take over an hour to complete the Regeneration. We had more rain before I could pick the tractor up from the dealer. All this time the tractor had been sitting on the trailer I used the get my tractor to the dealer. When I got home I drove the tractor off the trailer and got about 30 feet and the tractor engine died. It would not restart. I looked at the fuel filter and the site glass was full of water. I drained over a cup of water from the fuel tank. Tractor stated up and has been working great since and Regenerating without a problem. Where did the water come from.
The only thing me and the dealer could think of was when it rained the fuel tank cooled and as the water from the rain ran over the fuel cap, the water was sucked up the vent and into the fuel tank. My tractor has always been under cover and was never out in the rain until I took it to the dealer. A few weeks after this all happened I deliberately left my tractor out in the rain. You guessed it, when I stated the tractor water quickly replaced the fuel in the fuel filter bowl. Somehow when it rains water is getting sucked up under the fuel cap. The dealer called today and they ordered me a new fuel cap to see if that solves the problem. The fuel tank was pressure tested and no leaks were found.
Interesting, indeed.

SDT

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Just cover the fill cap with a plastic container of some type and see if that keeps water out of the tank in the rain.

Also you may want to always keep the tank full so there is no room for air in the tank to eliminate condensation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rancher1524

Equipment
Tractor LX4020 B3350SU
May 11, 2016
Evans, Washington
I now cover the fuel cap with a plastic sour cream container. Fits perfect. May paint it Kubota Orange to match the tractor. The water is not from condensation or it would have done it from day one. It only happened when the tractor was left out in the rain.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I now cover the fuel cap with a plastic sour cream container. Fits perfect. May paint it Kubota Orange to match the tractor. The water is not from condensation or it would have done it from day one. It only happened when the tractor was left out in the rain.
I just looked at the fuel cap on my B3350. I can see no way that fuel tank vacuum could draw water into the tank during rain, even if the drain from the fuel tank fill tube is clogged.

I can see how indiscriminate use of a pressure washer could force water into the tank.

Did your dealer pressure wash your tractor before returning it to you. Some do.

SDT

rancher1524

Equipment
Tractor LX4020 B3350SU
May 11, 2016
Evans, Washington
My dealer does not detail tractors after service. If they come for service covered in mud they get returned full of mud.
I may have a defective fuel cap. All I know is, if you leave the tractor out in the rain, water will get into the fuel tank.

vanquisher

Equipment
B3350
Sep 21, 2018
Lagrangeville NY
Rancher you wrote water got in the fuel due to the dealer leaving it out. You sated that you always have the tractor under a cover. So that doesn't explain why all the regen issues prior to it going to the dealer unless I'm missing something. It is very interesting that your getting such large amounts of water.

Last edited:

rancher1524

Equipment
Tractor LX4020 B3350SU
May 11, 2016
Evans, Washington
Sorry about that. All the regeneration problems cleared up after the fuel tank was drained and fresh fuel added to the tank.Not sure if the mechanic put the tractor into Regeneration mode or if it started Regeneration by itself. The mechanic said it took over an hour for the Regeneration to complete. After the Regeneration everything has been working. It has gone through a few Regeneration's since without any problem.