B3300SU to L3901 HST

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I currently have a 2010 B3300SUHST with the attachments shown in my sig. I'm thinking about upgrading to an L3901 HST. The L3901 is the largest that the BH77 can be used on and I really don't want to have to buy a new BH too. I would get the 3901 FEL with the 2 lever (skidsteer) quick attach and convert my grapple and forklift carrier myself since I can do the metalworking.

However, when looking on TractorData, there doesn't seem to be as much difference in the FEL and 3pt lift capacities as I would have thought. I also had the sales guy pull up the data from Kubota and it is indicating pretty much the same. Unfortunately, the FEL data is shown in different parameters so it is hard to compare apples to apples. But on the 3pnt, the B3300 shows 1367 lbs at 24" and the L3901 shows 1435 lbs at 24". Pump capacity for the 3300 is 9.9 gpm total flow and the 3901 is 10.1 gpm total flow. PTO HP for the 3300 is 25 or 27 (27 in the owner's manual) and 30.6 for the 3901 so assuming 25 for the 3300, that is around a 20% increase there. I have no doubt the 3901 will outpull the 3300 because of the extra HP/torque, weight and larger diameter tires (R1s on both).

Is there just a mistake somewhere in the lift capacities? I'd like all the input I can get about the upgrade. Anyone else that has done the same upgrade, what did you find?

I would really be upset if I spent the money and didn't gain a lot of lift capacity.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is there just a mistake somewhere in the lift capacities? I'd like all the input I can get about the upgrade. Anyone else that has done the same upgrade, what did you find?

I would really be upset if I spent the money and didn't gain a lot of lift capacity.
Nope no mistakes in the numbers, this is one case where going from your B3300SU to an L isn't going to gain you a whole lot of tractor.
You really might want to consider jumping up to an L4701 and I think the BH77 will still work, it's just going to be small for it.
Better option would be to sell the BH77 and upgrade the BH too to the BH92.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Thanks wolfman. I am now considering the 4701 but unfortunately from what I've found and from what the salesman said, the 3901 is the largest that will accept the BH77. I'm just not sure if I need to spend that much.

I'm actually thinking that if I want more FEL capacity I'd be better off trying to find a larger used tractor and keep my 3300 too.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Lift capacity is driven by the pumps, not by the HP. So just having more HP won't increase the capacities. If I were you I'd probably try one out before making a decision:

1. In the real world, I'd expect the L3901 to lift quite a bit more - it's heavier and has more heft to it. So fewer issues with things like ballast, stability when lifting, how it feels under load. Whilst the numbers may be similar I'd bet the feel of the thing is quite different. Is the bucket bigger for example?

2. Many people say if you want that "oh wow, that's a lot more" feeling, then you need to go to quite a lot bigger tractor - 1 model up gives you incremental that you mostly don't notice

Do you know what it is that you want to lift, and how much it weighs? Numbers are irrelevant if it can lift the things you need to lift, and if it can't lift the things you need to lift then you need a bigger tractor.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Paul, I somewhat agree with you except your statement that the lift limit is driven by pump capacity. The pump capacith is what limits cycle time. The load lift limit is set by the relief pressure. Even a low capacity pump is in theory capable of building high pressure to do a job, it will just take longer to build up the needed pressure. And higher HP is needed to run a high capacity pump to the relief pressure.

I do agree that the larger tractor will have more heft to it so it should be able to handle weight more, shall we say, comfortably.

I believe that info I've gotten here and one other forum has helped me realize I don't really need to replace the 3300.

Last edited:

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
The LA525 loader is pretty weak for the L3901 I have one and it's the only thing I don't like about the tractor.

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
I have an L3901 and for me it’s been a good little tractor.

Regarding loader capacity, some say it’s weak. My take is that it is matched up pretty well with the size and weight of the tractor. To utilize the lift capacity of the loader you need a ton of ballast or it’s pretty tippy. Once you have the machine weighted correctly, it will outwork a B3300. I had one of those too, but don’t be fooled by just looking at loader specs on paper. In real world applications, the L series will do more work per hr than a B.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I've no doubt the 3901 will outwork the 3300, I'm just trying to decide if it will be a big enough improvement to justify the cash expenditure.

I would really like a 4701 but that would mean a new BH too. The 4701 is kind of a crossover between the L and M lines. I seem to recall that the B3300 was considered the same; a crossover between the B and L series.

jnyost

Sep 12, 2017
Central Ohio
I also have a B3300SU and am considering the same upgrade. I also would like more lift capacity and was surprised, like you, to find there isn***8217;t much of an increase with the L3901. What I do like is the L is a much heavier built tractor and could probably be upgraded. The FEL on the L is much larger than the B3300. I think you could easily increase the cylinder diameter and gain a little bit more capacity.

Even though they are very close in specs I still think the L would be worth it. My dealer calls that line of the Ls the first real tractors. The engine, transmission, and axle are the frame just like big tractors. When I get my next tractor it is going to have to remain about the same size. Not only do I not want anything too heavy to rut the yard, I can***8217;t anything too large in my woods.

Last edited:

jnyost

Sep 12, 2017
Central Ohio
Also, the L comes with live PTO and height positioning 3pt instead of the quarter inching valve our B3300SU has.

Last edited: