B2650 steering issues

ZIG40

Equipment
B2650
Jul 1, 2023
Pennsylvania
My B2650 steer wheel keeps turning slowly after you turned hard to the right or left while wheels can’t turn no more.

ZIG40

Equipment
B2650
Jul 1, 2023
Pennsylvania
Does anybody else’s do this? How can I fix this ? I have a steering Kubota suicide knob on and it’s all ways at a different position.

Lug66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, Z422KWT
Jun 7, 2023
SW Michigan
Are you still trying to turn the wheel after you’ve reached the travel limits? That knob moves around because the steering is hydraulically controlled. There’s no mechanical linkage between the steering valve box and the steering actuators which means the steering wheel doesn’t have a dedicated reference point.

Reactions: 1 user

ZIG40

Equipment
B2650
Jul 1, 2023
Pennsylvania
Are you still trying to turn the wheel after you’ve reached the travel limits? That knob moves around because the steering is hydraulically controlled. There’s no mechanical linkage between the steering valve box and the steering actuators which means the steering wheel doesn’t have a dedicated reference point.
Thank you for your response. I’m not purposely trying to make the steering go farther. I just took notice with the suicide knob on there It’s a different positions constantly. I thought maybe there was a relief valve that is going bad or something of that sort . my father has a 2012 B 3030 and this does not occur to his tractor. What tractor do you have and does this do that to yours and there’s no way of stopping it because it’s a pain in the butt for the knob to be in different locations ? I appreciate all your help. Thanks.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
B2601. Thought as you that something weird was happening. I even convinced myself that I put the knob in the wrong spot. You get used to it moving around.

Lug66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, Z422KWT
Jun 7, 2023
SW Michigan
Thank you for your response. I’m not purposely trying to make the steering go farther. I just took notice with the suicide knob on there It’s a different positions constantly. I thought maybe there was a relief valve that is going bad or something of that sort . my father has a 2012 B 3030 and this does not occur to his tractor. What tractor do you have and does this do that to yours and there’s no way of stopping it because it’s a pain in the butt for the knob to be in different locations ? I appreciate all your help. Thanks.
I currently have the LX2610 and it does the same thing if I were to try to keep turning the wheel. Is the steering wheel still turning with no input from you? As for that knob I ended up pulling it off my old BX-2370.

earlphillips

Equipment
B2650HST TLB, 72" hyd PA SP, 63" 2-stage SB, 60"MMM,Fork Lifts Ballast Bx
Nov 10, 2017
NEW TRIPOLI, PA
My B2650 steer wheel keeps turning slowly after you turned hard to the right or left while wheels can’t turn no more.
I have a 2017 B2650HSDC-TLB and after 950 hours I had the same problem. I took it to a Shop for repair and they said the pressures all around are within spec but it's their best guess it's the steering unit. Needing it fixed I agreed, but $4500 later and 18 more hours on the machine it did it again. ($3000 of that was to R/R the cab etc) Back to the shop thinking the new part was defective. They said the pressures are all fine as before !!! Bring it back when it breaks where their last words to me.

According to Kubota dealer, the BX models have had similar problems of oil bypassing and causing hard steering etc. So, I ordered another cylinder, ($890) and now I am in the process or trying to get the cylinder off the Kubota. They said it was straight forward off and on, but I found out that's not the case. One needs 22mm and 32mm spanners with the 22mm being thinner than the 32mm. I am stuck at the moment in trying to remove the tie rod ends so I can replace the complete cylinder. I ordered thin spanners but that did not work, so now I ordered two open end wrenches and will resurface the 22mm so it fits the space provided. The right side of the cylinder has two notches (22mm) and the left side does not. Factory did use a red thread locker and Loctite 243 crosses over.

In short, I would have had them replace the steering cylinder first, then if need be replace the steering unit and pump since the cab was off.... so I am not happy their best guess was wrong. An expensive lesson for sure.....

Attachments

Last edited:

Spoldozer

Equipment
BX1500, mower deck, front loader
Apr 8, 2016
Portland-ish
I just replaced the steering cylinder and tie rods on my BX1500, ~600hrs. Apparently, many were shipped with a seal or something in the cylinder that was out of spec and it would eventually allow fluid to bypass from one side of the cylinder to the other. Very sloppy and inconsistent steering, could hardly turn left, unresponsive steering which would briefly be corrected by a sharp jerk on the wheel, no hard stops at the end of the steering wheel journey. Replacing the steering cylinder fixed it perfectly, it is now steering like a completely different machine. So precise and consistent, it's a dream to drive now.

The hardest parts of the swap was getting the old tie rods to disconnect from the wheels, and then holding the new cylinder in place while the bracket bolts were reinserted.

When I described the issue to the local dealer, I think they pointed me to something potentially wrong under the steering wheel and the closest replacement part was half-way across the country and $1500. After some Googling, I decided to go with the steering cylinder, and I'm happy I did.

Good luck!

Last edited: