B2601

tecknomage

Equipment
MF B2600 BCS 743 ROXOR
Jul 15, 2021
tennessee
Hello folks, wouldlike ur advice

Have a little over an acre to mow, plus garden plot.. then approx 10 acres to "up keep" @ transmitter sites i help maintain. the maintance of the sites is new.
small scrubs to clear, etc.

Have had an Massy b2600 Belly mower & loader since new. starting to show her age.. Looking @ a B2601 with loader, BH, & belive it or not, fail mower . Where i cant get with the tractor, inc the 2600, I use the BCS walk behind. That Berta Rotary plow is incredable.

Anyway, i can prob get by with what i have, & let station owners take care of property.. including brush removal. Was looking for an excuse to get the 2601. I LIKE steering brakes, even if i never will use them. plus the 3 range hydro. add a valve on rear & play with the flail. Also use to help out couple of niebors with the BH.

I know im stupid, but still like the idea, & at 62 I just wanted a "new toy" i could somewhat justify.... if you know what i mean... Seems everytime i go look @ teh 2601 I both like it more & the &$ keeps going up. if id bought it 5 yrs ago, I couldve saved 5K

Any sugestions?

Thaks
David

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
You're asking guys that love/addicted to tractors if you should buy one?

Or are you asking about different models/specs?

If it's the former, then my advice is: You ain't getting younger, and they ain't getting any cheaper. Just buy the thing and enjoy it. One day you will be room temperature and it will too late.

If it's the latter, then I will defer my opinion to someone that has a working knowledge of that machine.

Good choice on getting the BH !!!! You will love that thing!!!! (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Welcome.

in general, specific questions will help the direct/initiate the replies and advice.

My advice would be to buy 1 or more tractors and spoil them with add ons, implements, frequent use, and premium fuilds/lubricants. (Get the loader with the purchase)

Happy shopping. 🥃

tecknomage

Equipment
MF B2600 BCS 743 ROXOR
Jul 15, 2021
tennessee
Loader, Backhoe, Fail mower. ant extra hyd outlets theyll put on. 3rd for bucket.. R14 tires.
While mowing once a week @ house will be "fun" with the fail, the other places it'll be a Godsend. You think a 2601 is over kill? maybe wheel spacers

You're asking guys that love/addicted to tractors if you should buy one? Of Course... I want a POSITIVE answer... lol

Like when Im @ rual king, co-op, etc. & the guys fire up their "yupied" trucks.. Then u hear a farm truck with a Cummins inline 6 purr... ahhhh..... its like getting the back scratched in that place u cant reach.. Just makes u feel good all over.. music to an enginneer/farmers ears. What is it about that inline 6....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Loader, Backhoe, Fail mower. ant extra hyd outlets theyll put on. 3rd for bucket.. R14 tires.
While mowing once a week @ house will be "fun" with the fail, the other places it'll be a Godsend. You think a 2601 is over kill? maybe wheel spacers

You're asking guys that love/addicted to tractors if you should buy one? Of Course... I want a POSITIVE answer... lol

Like when Im @ rual king, co-op, etc. & the guys fire up their "yupied" trucks.. Then u hear a farm truck with a Cummins inline 6 purr... ahhhh..... its like getting the back scratched in that place u cant reach.. Just makes u feel good all over.. music to an enginneer/farmers ears. What is it about that inline 6....
The B2601 is good, I personally would look at the LX's for what you want to do.
They are a little more versatile and have better options.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep the B2601 is a gem, with a few cavoites, 2 inch wheel spacers, I got them on mine it helps, Find some way to glue that damn rubber mat down, it will trip you up, and if you are a gray beard like me, the kitchen is a bit hard getting in and out of. Other wise it works well,,, or yeah forget about the R4 tires, they are skid steer tires and suck ,on anything wet, I have to use 4wd with them. It will handle what you want to do, just take a bit longer , if you want something a bit larger or a cab, the MX is the way to go. I wont try to dissuade you, mine has is a good tractor, but were I to do it over I think I would have gone up 1 step. To the MX, do I need one that big , nope , but like you a new toy. Which ever one you choose she will server you well. OH and one more thing,,, dont like your Lady on it ! Cause you just might wind up with 2 orange tractors,,,, just sayin ;)

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I second the LX. If you do not need a belly mower (I have a finish mower - does a good job and easy on/off), the LX SU is listed as cheaper than the B2601. I really like the bigger tires on the SU (if you put the big tires on a regular LX, I believe the mower deck will not fit). In over 3 years, I have not been stuck with my R4 tires. The R4 tires are great for loader work and the most puncture proof for work in the woods.

tecknomage

Equipment
MF B2600 BCS 743 ROXOR
Jul 15, 2021
tennessee
for most of my work, @ house ... under2 acres.. so i figure anything bigger than the 2601 would be hard to manuver.
OH and one more thing,,, dont like your Lady on it ! Cause you just might wind up with 2 orange tractors,,,, just sayin ;)
well, being old, ugly & poor most of life. ( not much better now) I dont have to worry about any female..
Unless you count the bobcats that have taken up with me.
Some reason critters & I get along. Have to smack the deer to get them to move, they run from others & just lay down in the yard when im there... weird.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I had a similar situation to you. I had a BX, about an acre of my own property, but about 5km of roadside that I manage in the community.

I spent 3 years talking about a B2601 (until my better half said "could you just buy it so I can stop hearing about it and stop going to tractor shops to look at it"). So I bought it. Never regretted it. Makes me happy every time I drive it. No, I don't need to manage community land. But I like doing it, and all the neighbours thank me.

The B2601 is big enough without being hard to justify. I'd get a belly mower as well as the flail, maybe get a grapple for what you talk about.

An LX is probably justifiable, and not much more expensive. Buy once cry once. But a B will easily do everything you describe. I wouldn't buy a BX for that.

Velma

Equipment
B2301, FDR1660, RB1560, SGC0554, Pats QH, CMP Dethatcher
May 12, 2022
MI
Have b2301…love that thing

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
We have a 2601 with a belly mower at work. Nice machine. The drive over deck is nice and it's not too bad to take off. Belt changing is a pia. Keep a close eye on the gearbox mounting bolts and the fluid. Mark these bolts with a paint marker so you can see if they are loosening. Set those anti scalp wheels properly with the height of cut.

We have a LX2601 on the farm with a rear finish mower. My dad will be 84 soon and still can get on it. The rear finish mower does a pretty good job. Cheaper and easier to maintain than the belly mower in my opinion. Even easier to hook up than the belly mower. Both machines are good. If you do step up to the LX2610 or lx2620 and want a belly mower, make sure you get the mid PTO as some models do not have that option.

Another thing to consider is financing or how you will pay. Currently I believe the LX series has 0% financing while the B series does not. Check with your Kubota dealer for financing or incentives for both models. Get the most for your money.

Decks take a lot of abuse. What are the price differences for a belly mower to a Finish mower and how nice you want your lawn. Things to consider.

Mikeymotorbikey

Equipment
B2601
Jun 30, 2022
North Branch, Minnesota
Love my B2601!
Looked at Kubota's for years but made do with a repowered Case 446 and a shop built FEL. The Case was getting tired and Kubota was offering 0% financing so it was time.
My only complaint is the price of a Kubota MMM, so go with your flail plan.
We've got 24 acres here and could probably use a larger tractor but as you mentioned the B is the right size for around the house, very maneuverable.