B2601 PTO oil seal replacement

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Richmond, IN, United States
Hi Guys,

Is the PTO oil seal something I should tackle or not? Pictures, advice, Do's, Don'ts, drawings, special tools, or anything to help would be great. I searched but didn't see this topic.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well the reason you don't see anything on this is, Why are you having to replace the PTO seal???
That's a new tractor, that should still under warranty, and shouldn't have an issue with that seal.

Well if you must, it's about as simple as they get, pull off the dust cover pop the seal out and put a new one in, put the dust cover back on, done.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
I didn't want to lose the tractor to the dealer for some unknown time. For some reason my finish mower PTO caused it to leak. I thought it looked really easy to do so I considered doing it myself.

Egressman

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok, I get what your saying.

It's not very common for an implement to cause that seal to leak, it's normally a failure of either the seal or bearings in the tractor's PTO setup that cause that to leak. ;)

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Thanks Wolfman!

If it happens again I will take it in. The retaining pin on the shaft failed and the PTO got a little crazy before it came off. I assumed it caused it to mess it up.

I agree, it should have not tore the seal but again, I never expected the retaining pin to fail and allow the shaft to come off. PTO guard did it's job.

Egressman

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If the mower shaft flopped around enough to ruin the seal, it could have bent the shaft on the tractor. I have seen that happen before. In fact I have seen it break off the shaft on the tractor before.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Seal arrived today, was able to replace without much trouble.

Note that the ROPS has to be taken loose to get the cover off for future reference. The top two bolts are under the ROPS mount on the PTO housing. Other than that its pretty simple. Can provide pictures if anyone needs to see them.

Also make sure you reinstall the lower bar that the lower links mount on before you put bolts back in the ROPS other wise you will have to pull a rear wheel to get it back in.

Egressman

EDIT by NIW: Not ROPES, it's ROPS = Roll Over Protection System

Last edited by a moderator:

MaineMurphy

Equipment
B2650
Jan 17, 2021
Maine
Seal arrived today, was able to replace without much trouble.

Note that the ROPS has to be taken loose to get the cover off for future reference. The top two bolts are under the ROPS mount on the PTO housing. Other than that its pretty simple. Can provide pictures if anyone needs to see them.

Also make sure you reinstall the lower bar that the lower links mount on before you put bolts back in the ROPS other wise you will have to pull a rear wheel to get it back in.

Egressman

EDIT by NIW: Not ROPES, it's ROPS = Roll Over Protection System
I'm having the same problem on my B2650. How did you get to the top two bolts?
Mike Murphy