B2601 blowing smoke

NateR

Equipment
B2601
Sep 20, 2023
Arlington WA
New to tractors, trying to learn,looking for help. B2601 with 136 hours on it started blowing excessive black smoke, especially when under load from raising and lowering front bucket. Looked up possible causes, everything seemed to point at fuel filter. Replaced the fuel filter and still getting smoke - less than before and more of a brown/white mix in color. Any ideas?

Attachments

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Interesting. My B2601 w/ 60 hrs will puff a small amount of black smoke, for half a second, if I engage the MMM at full engine speed in tall grass (so I try not to that). I don’t use the FEL on my B, since I’ve got the L for any real work.

Is the smoking occurring only when loading the bucket (pushing it forward into the pile) while the FEL rams are not being activated? Or only when a full bucket is being picked up/curled by the FEL rams? Or both up and down?

I’m thinking about the relationship of the smoking events relative to loading of the hydraulic system. In the case that perhaps something in the FEL ram hydraulic system might be causing excessive loading on the engine. Just a WAG.

NateR

Equipment
B2601
Sep 20, 2023
Arlington WA
Interesting. My B2601 w/ 60 hrs will puff a small amount of black smoke, for half a second, if I engage the MMM at full engine speed in tall grass (so I try not to that). I don’t use the FEL on my B, since I’ve got the L for any real work.

Is the smoking occurring only when loading the bucket (pushing it forward into the pile) while the FEL rams are not being activated? Or only when a full bucket is being picked up/curled by the FEL rams? Or both up and down?

I’m thinking about the relationship of the smoking events relative to loading of the hydraulic system. In the case that perhaps something in the FEL ram hydraulic system might be causing excessive loading on the engine. Just a WAG.
It started happening while I was using it, now happens on start-up and continues. Gets worse when I operate the bucket either up or down.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
DID you check the AIR filter by chance?

YOU sure there is nothing else in the tank but diesel?

What is the temp gauge saying - has it climbed up on the meter?

Reactions: 2 users

NateR

Equipment
B2601
Sep 20, 2023
Arlington WA
DID you check the AIR filter by chance?

YOU sure there is nothing else in the tank but diesel?

What is the temp gauge saying - has it climbed up on the meter?
GREAT call on the air filter, thanks! Pulled it, cleaned it, blew it out. Started my machine up and got the standard puff of smoke, now running clean. Greatly appreciated!!!

Reactions: 4 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
As you said, @85Hokie had a great call with the air filter.

As the air filter was apparently severely restricted/dirty, I would probably spring for a new one….. I always keep a new one on the shelf just in case.

That amount of smoke made my mind go to some really, really bad things going on.

Testament to starting with the simple stuff….👍

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
New to tractors, trying to learn,looking for help. B2601 with 136 hours on it started blowing excessive black smoke, especially when under load from raising and lowering front bucket. Looked up possible causes, everything seemed to point at fuel filter. Replaced the fuel filter and still getting smoke - less than before and more of a brown/white mix in color. Any ideas?
If it is covered by a warranty I would limit my involvement lest you cause more harm than good and perhaps void the warranty. Call the dealer.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
If it is covered by a warranty I would limit my involvement lest you cause more harm than good and perhaps void the warranty. Call the dealer.
Great way to VOID the warranty. Alert the dealer to the fact routine maintenance was deferred leading to an operational concern?

The OP was very well advised by @85Hokie to do as was done. Even if it hadn’t resolved the problem, the owner has a duty to reasonably maintain the equipment if they expect the potential of warranty coverage at some point. Or if the owner just wants to properly service their equipment for trouble free and economical service.

If I missed the sarcasm, I apologize.

Linstrum

Premium Member

Equipment
L3400HST with BH76 backhoe, L2501HST, B7100HST, B7100DT, all with fel's. Cat D4D
Sep 2, 2023
Alamogordo, New Mexico
Holy Smoke! That IS a lot of smoke! Sorry, I couldn't resist. Yes indeed, a pleated-type paper air filter element that is loaded to the max with dirt and debris will cause that. Some diesel engine systems have a warning indicator that the air filter needs cleaning/replacing, which operates by monitoring the engine air intake manifold pressure, or rather lack thereof. My Caterpillar D4D crawler has such a device on the dashboard, which is actually a very simple type of vacuum gauge.

With the air cleaner maxed out full of dirt, the outside of the radiator core very likely needs cleaning to get shredded grass and weeds out of it, too. Blow it out with an air hose or use a spray nozzle on a garden hose to wash all the stuff out, clean it from the side the engine fan is on from under the hood. Be careful not to get any water into the air cleaner intake. And NEVER get water anywhere near the air cleaner when the engine is running! If the engine sucks water into it, it will be destroyed!

Since you say you are new to tractors, as well as that you were unfamiliar with what could cause so much smoke - - - for your future benefit as an owner of one of the best wheel-type tractors made (in my opinion based on owning Kubotas since 1981), find and read several books on simplified four-stroke cycle automotive-type diesel engines (as opposed to humongous marine engines used in ships and municipal power generation). Don't get any books with diesel engine sections more than maybe 20 pages. Also get a few simplified books on modern wheel tractors with three point hitches, and one more simple book that covers the basics of hydraulic systems including hydraulic cylinders. You don't have to sit down and read all this stuff in one week or month or even one year. The idea is so you have some idea of what's going on with your tractor, and have some kind of reference books handy where you can look stuff up. I've been at this business since 1968, and diesels since 1971. For me, it helped a lot that I really like working with these machines, along with the industries where they are used, as well as maintaining and repairing them. Just remember that these machines can hurt you, that is a big reason why you should read some stuff about them so you understand how they work. I'm not a big fan of youtube videos, there is a lot bad stuff out there that will trip you up when you know nothing about the subject. For this reason, I prefer good old-fashioned books. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Great way to VOID the warranty. Alert the dealer to the fact routine maintenance was deferred leading to an operational concern?

The OP was very well advised by @85Hokie to do as was done. Even if it hadn’t resolved the problem, the owner has a duty to reasonably maintain the equipment if they expect the potential of warranty coverage at some point. Or if the owner just wants to properly service their equipment for trouble free and economical service.

If I missed the sarcasm, I apologize.
?

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
Good call on the filter.

I've never seen an air filter with 136 hours that was so clogged that it caused that kind of smoke.

I bet that poor tractor has had zero maintenance done on it.

I’d be changing the fluids and filters before I did anything else with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Had that smoke thing happen back in the day when bailing hay with my old Beleros. It pulled down and black smoke just a rolling. I shut down and called the dealer. He sent the mechanic right out and had me going in about two hours. Seems the injection pump and jumped time. Tractor was crude but I had trouble free use for several years after that. Great thing about it was that it would start when everything else was frozen, very fuel efficient too.
rr