B2400 Leak at front axle

TractorWerx

Equipment
B2400, FEL, Woods tiller 5', 5' Box blade, 6' disc.
May 19, 2010
KY, McCracken Co
My 2400 HST with front assist has a chronic leak at the driveshaft axle junction. I have replaced the seal several times and all o-rings.
None of the seals have ever looked bad?
The leak started early @ around 250 hrs n now has 1200 hrs on machine. It was out of warranty when leak first started. The leak has gone from just a few drips to now you can stand and watch it dripping.That UDT is too #%* expensive to run on the ground.
Anyone had this problem and how did you stop it?
Thx for info

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
My 2400 HST with front assist has a chronic leak at the driveshaft axle junction. I have replaced the seal several times and all o-rings.
None of the seals have ever looked bad?
The leak started early @ around 250 hrs n now has 1200 hrs on machine. It was out of warranty when leak first started. The leak has gone from just a few drips to now you can stand and watch it dripping.That UDT is too #%* expensive to run on the ground.
Anyone had this problem and how did you stop it?
Thx for info
I've had my B2400 for 2 months ( 1194hrs as of Saturday), I have the same leak, I drained the UDT and refilled with 80w90 gear lube. heavier lube and it is an alternative for UDT in the front axle. ( that I already had a 5gal pail of it also helped )

I can't say that the leak is gone, but it sure has not shown much evidence since I made the change last month. I check the fluids every time I get ready to use the machine, mostly because it's new to me and I am still learning it quirks.

When you changed the seal(s), did you happen to notice if there was a "garter spring" inside the seal? I have had this spring pop off on seals in the past ( when installing ) and the seal doesn't actually fit tightly to the sealing surface as a result. just a thought.

kubotabee

Equipment
l305dt
Apr 17, 2010
new brunswick
Hi Tractorwerx....
Did you check the bearings when you replaced the seal?
There may be a bushing with an O ring inside it too....so take it apart and replace those bearings while you are in there.

:)Also, running 80 weight Hypoid is a good thing to do for the front axle instead of UDT.

Later...Kubotabee.

TractorWerx

Equipment
B2400, FEL, Woods tiller 5', 5' Box blade, 6' disc.
May 19, 2010
KY, McCracken Co
Thanks guys for the tip on the hypoid lube. I have just always used the UDT as that is what came in it. Just nice to use the same fluid for both ends.
The spring in the seal has always been there in the old one just like the new one.
Im not seeing the bearings that you refer to in the area of the leak. The driveshaft male end has no play at all and has the tabbed washer tokeep tension on this assembly.
I plan to change fluids n will see what happens. I have other gearboxes that require it anyway. If it stops the leak I won't need that much!!
I will be out of town for the holiday and will post results after the change.

Kubota would never admit it but I am now thinking this a design flaw. I have suspected this after the first couple seal changes that did not fix for long?