B1750HST power Steering

dcookeonly60

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 12, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Hello all
I am very new to this so please forgive my lack of know how. I have a 1989 B1750HST that I have had for about 4 years. It has been a great machine. Recently a found a significant leak coming from the lower seal on the power steering gear box. From what I can find there is a seal and a dust cover. I ordered the parts and the both look pretty much identical to me. I removed the pitman arm but cannot get the dust cover or seal out. I checked in line and a new gearbox is close to 2K. Certainly cannot afford that. From the drawing I found there does not appear to be anything holding the seal or dust cover in. Am I missing something here?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need to remove the sector shaft to get the seals out.

FYI the seals will look similar but they work in opposite sealing jobs, one keeps fluid in and one keeps dirt out, so the lips of the seal will be opposite, do not mix them up.

Reactions: 1 user

dcookeonly60

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 12, 2024
Ontario, Canada
You need to remove the sector shaft to get the seals out.

FYI the seals will look similar but they work in opposite sealing jobs, one keeps fluid in and one keeps dirt out, so the lips of the seal will be opposite, do not mix them up.
Thank you very much. I feared that was the case but I guess nothing ventured nothing gained

Reactions: 1 user

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
awhile back, i had the very same issue with my b2100. in order to replace the seals, i had to totally take the power steering box all apart in order to replace those seals. hardest part i faced was getting the pitman arm off the shaft ?, but i finally got it off, got the box all apart, and replaced the inner and outer seal. pay very close attention to the way the shafts all line up when taking it apart, and putting it back together, it must be '' timed '' right ?..or your steering will not be right.

dcookeonly60

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 12, 2024
Ontario, Canada
awhile back, i had the very same issue with my b2100. in order to replace the seals, i had to totally take the power steering box all apart in order to replace those seals. hardest part i faced was getting the pitman arm off the shaft ?, but i finally got it off, got the box all apart, and replaced the inner and outer seal. pay very close attention to the way the shafts all line up when taking it apart, and putting it back together, it must be '' timed '' right ?..or your steering will not be right.
Thank you. When you say you had to take it all apart. Did you have to remove it from the tractor or was it done with the gear box still in the tractor. That’s how I was hoping I could do.

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
Thank you. When you say you had to take it all apart. Did you have to remove it from the tractor or was it done with the gear box still in the tractor. That’s how I was hoping I could do.
i removed the whole box, it was easier to work on it while on my bench. although...you can do it while its on the tractor i would think ?. i just removed it all together from my b2100.