b series kubota.. oil and battery light stopped working. now tractor starts then die

Gunsmoke1

Equipment
b1700hsd
Apr 4, 2015
oklahoma city
I have a b1700hsd. Tractor was running fine, but turned it off for about 20 minutes.. came back to start it.. noticed when turning the key the battery and oil light typically light up along with glow plug light.. now battery and oil light aren't coming on. Tractor fires right up then dies.

Tractor has a new battery. Also fuel filter was changed a few weeks back, and has been getting plenty of fuel.

I checked fuse panel and the 30 amp starter fuse and all are good. Any suggestions on what else to check?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Ignition switch, did you pull fuses? Sometimes corrosion gets around fuse connectors and cuts power.
I would check for loose and corroded connectors/grounds.

Gunsmoke1

Equipment
b1700hsd
Apr 4, 2015
oklahoma city
Ignition switch, did you pull fuses? Sometimes corrosion gets around fuse connectors and cuts power.
I would check for loose and corroded connectors/grounds.
I pulled out each one, even tried different fuses just in case since a couple were dusty inside the plastic to make sure I didn't miss a break in fuse. They seemed to be fitting snug, and didn't notice corrosion on the fuses..

I will try disconnecting ignition switch and check for loose wiring/ connections there.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
There are times when a test light would be better, an ohmmeter can sometimes show continuity and wont light a bulb. So keep that in mind. Test with a light too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it's starting and then dying when you let off the key the problem in in the stop solenoid parts or wiring. ;)

Gunsmoke1

Equipment
b1700hsd
Apr 4, 2015
oklahoma city
I thought I would post an update to this. I first sprayed electronics cleaner in ignition switch and the lights would come on randomly as I turned key but wasn't still making great contact. I decided to take ignition switch out of tractor and noticed it had a few tabs bent in holding the switch components in the housing. I took switch apart and it had several copper plates that had alot of build up goop on them. I sanded each contact flat and shiny again on my sharpening stone.. put them back in and put switch back together. It works like new. There essentially are 2 halves that make contact at different points.. if someone needs to do this be aware there are several springs and a ball bearing inside So be careful on disassembly not to lose them popping out. This saved buying a $70.00 replacement switch.

Last edited: