B-5100 Runs great for 20 minutes then loses power and dies

Dave Carpenter

Equipment
B-5100
Sep 13, 2024
Nevada
Let me start with, I’m a less than skilled mechanic. I have replaced fuel pump, filter and injectors. Cleaned fuel tank and lines. Cooling system cleaned and flushed. I have owned this tractor for 15 + years and it has always ran like a top. The tractor starts easy and runs great for about 20 minutes. Then it loses power and eventually dies and doesn’t want to restart. If I let it sit for a couple hours, starts right up and process begins again. I’m, (in my limited knowledge) thinking it is definitely a fuel issue. Injection pump is next on my list, but it’s more expensive to just throw money at. Is there a way for a novice to know if it’s bad?

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me. I would test that and go from there. If you don't have a work shop manual, I would purchase one...
fuel pump.jpg

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Next time instead of letting it sit for hours, remove the fuel cap and try it right away. Chance the fuel tank isn't breathing?

Reactions: 1 users

Dave Carpenter

Equipment
B-5100
Sep 13, 2024
Nevada
Next time instead of letting it sit for hours, remove the fuel cap and try it right away. Chance the fuel tank isn't breathing?
Yep, read a few of the other threads. Cap is well ventilated. One of the cheap tricks, I tried before throwing money. Thanks for reply and trying to help.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Sometimes there are simple solutions that are difficult to find. The company I worked for had a Volvo semi in the truck fleet that would run fine for a while, then quit. Sometimes it would run for an hour or more and then die. We had it to at least three truck shops - including Volvo - over a period of several months.

Finally as the one shop was steaming the engine bay for another attempt the guy thought something looked odd at the fuel filter base. There was a small hole in the aluminum (or pot metal / white metal / whatever) somewhat corroded fuel filter base. New base and it ran perfectly ever since.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Since you suspect it being a fuel issue can you rig a totally separate fuel tank to the injection pump through a in line filter and see it that resolves the issue?

I think if you strapped a fuel can on the hood and got a siphon going that gravity would be able to feed enough fuel to keep it running and working.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like Russell said bottle feed the injection pump, bypassing the lift pump and all of the fuel.
Just use a very clean line, container and fuel, as it won't be filtered.
You will need a container that has the ability to vent.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave Carpenter

Equipment
B-5100
Sep 13, 2024
Nevada
Ok, I have the tractor running like a top again. I feel totally dumb, but I’m about 83% sure what was wrong. The fuel bowl was half full. I’m getting old and couldn’t remember what level it ran at, but thought it odd. Once it was completely full by me filling it, worked great. I don’t know why gravity didn’t fill it? But once I filled it and hooked everything back up, it stayed up. Don’t know what caused it to go down in the first place? Like I said, feel dumb, but my stupidity might help another novice like me. Thanks to everyone that replied! All the extra crap I did will help my little old tractor run for a while longer.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok, I have the tractor running like a top again. I feel totally dumb, but I’m about 83% sure what was wrong. The fuel bowl was half full. I’m getting old and couldn’t remember what level it ran at, but thought it odd. Once it was completely full by me filling it, worked great. I don’t know why gravity didn’t fill it? But once I filled it and hooked everything back up, it stayed up. Don’t know what caused it to go down in the first place? Like I said, feel dumb, but my stupidity might help another novice like me. Thanks to everyone that replied! All the extra crap I did will help my little old tractor run for a while longer.
You don't do anything, more than likely you have an obstruction in the line or the tank feeding the Filter housing.
If it does it again look to those.