ATV Winch In is Out and Out is In?

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I have a Viper winch on my ATV, had it for 8 years or so. Assume that I am not crazy. I have used this setup many many times, now all of a sudden In is Out and Out is In on the rocker switch and the remote. Any ideas on what could cause this? I keep it on a YUSA battery tender, same one that I have used for years. I rarely use the remote but did the other day while fencing and that is when I saw it, then when I used it today with the rocker switch same thing.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Did you do any battery mantenaince? could be crossed power leads. Did anyone use it? Could be the cable has been spooled in the wrong direction, Clock wise vs Counter Clock Wise.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I have a Viper winch on my ATV, had it for 8 years or so. Assume that I am not crazy. I have used this setup many many times, now all of a sudden In is Out and Out is In on the rocker switch and the remote. Any ideas on what could cause this? I keep it on a YUSA battery tender, same one that I have used for years. I rarely use the remote but did the other day while fencing and that is when I saw it, then when I used it today with the rocker switch same thing.
Sounds like the relay is going, had one that would only go in in and that what it was.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
By any chance, the last time it was used, did the cable get strung all the way then wound back up pressing the wrong button?

Loaned my step dad my 4 wheeler and when I got it back the winch was doing the same thing. Got to talking to pops about it, when he mentioned he ran it all the way out and wound it back up :rolleyes: Figured that's what he did. It was an easy fix. Just put it in free spool. Ran the cable all the way out and the wound it back up.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
By any chance, the last time it was used, did the cable get strung all the way then wound back up pressing the wrong button?

Loaned my step dad my 4 wheeler and when I got it back the winch was doing the same thing. Got to talking to pops about it, when he mentioned he ran it all the way out and wound it back up :rolleyes: Figured that's what he did. It was an easy fix. Just put it in free spool. Ran the cable all the way out and the wound it back up.
Okay I take back the assumption that I am not crazy. When I was fencing I did string it out more than normal, usually I just use it for lifting snow plow. As I was eating lunch I had the same thought about rewinding it the wrong way, I was working by myself so did some interesting contortions. Thanks for the nudge, like you said easy fix, better than some exotic electrical problem, lol.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Okay I take back the assumption that I am not crazy. When I was fencing I did string it out more than normal, usually I just use it for lifting snow plow. As I was eating lunch I had the same thought about rewinding it the wrong way, I was working by myself so did some interesting contortions. Thanks for the nudge, like you said easy fix, better than some exotic electrical problem, lol.
I was pretty confused for a moment with mine and was cussing pops pretty good under my breath for a couple minutes. Then I took 5 and thought about it and figured that's probably what he did. :rolleyes: I gave him a pretty good ribbing once it was all said and done :D

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA

That was my thought.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
That was it, rewound the cable and all is good with the world. Sometimes it pays to look at the obvious or look at what you did out of the ordinary, lol. Thanks for all the input.