Are deck wash kits worth it?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I had one on my old Cub, did it work ,,,, yeah kind of, but it sure made a mess. The fitting was on the blind end of the deck so it washed,,, in theory anyways the blade and slung it to the next and so on, and thus washing the deck,, I wasnt real impressed but there ya go.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The one on my Crafstman is worthless except for creating a mess.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Well....that's disappointing. We can put a helo on Mars, but can't get a decent deck wash.
The other factor for me is I don't have any pavement except sidewalk. So I can't really drop the deck down to the ground like they tell you to. Unless I cut a piece of plywood to do it on. Then, more to clean up.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I put one on a cheap disposable tractor, it cleaned a little but overall a waste of time and money.

Here is one three hour mowing accumulation of nearly 5 gallons:
IMG_0824.JPG

• Wow

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Probably have seen 200-250 decks over the decades ,NONE that had the 'cleaning port' were actually clean...hmmmmmm
if you cut DRY grass, you don't get any buildup ......
I use a cable hoist to lift front end of riders up, sit in chair to use stiff custom putty knife to clean the neighbour's decks.

Reactions: 1 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Just for what it’s worth…my ol cub cadet rider had terrible grass build up in the mower deck. Always cut late in the day when grass was dry. Ol cub getting tired…although I still have it. Bought a new Ferris Zero turn. Zero build up in the mower deck. Paint worn off in spots after a couple years. Same grass..similar cutting conditions. I guess the point I’m suggesting is the design of the deck seems to have considerable factors in preventing build up. Only thing that really stands out in deck design is the top side of deck on the Ferris is flat, compared to the ol cub that has a lot of curves and bends and chicanes…

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Had a Cub with a deck wash. It was worthless. Seemed like a marketing gimmick, not a useful feature.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Something just came to mind, what if you had a spray underneath like inthe car wash for the underside of the car. Maybe 1/2 inch PVC made up in a square or an H shape, with maybe 1/32 holds so it would spray up, lay it under the deck turn on the water and engage the deck... Might work,,,,, orrrrrrr you might have a bunch of PVC shrapnel going everywhere

• Haha

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
get an undercarriage attachment for your pressure washer. Roll it under the deck and let the water do the work.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Interesting, about deck design making a difference. Makes complete sense though.
I do always mow dry. Thing is, I often end up cutting a lot off because I don't mow often. That probably doesn't help.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Not supposed to cut more than 1/3rd the height at one time and it needs to be dry. I understand some can't cut like that..I do have a huge problem with the retired neighbour cutting his grass on Sundays though....

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I swear my old neighbor (cookie cutter HOA neighborhood) waited till I washed a car. Like clockwork, as soon as I finished, out came the mower.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I feel like if your deck is too clean, the paint will wear off. A little build up protects the paint.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I feel like if your deck is too clean, the paint will wear off. A little build up protects the paint.
I pressure wash and paint the underside at the end of the season. We don't have a golf course, so the occasional stick or dog toy take paint off anyway.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
and built-up clippiings can and do hold moisture, and more importantly chemicals that cause corrosion of metal and paint. So the paint comes off either way. I ain't never seen a mower that would hold paint on the bottom side for more than a season. Not even powder coat holds up very long. Rusted decks often are resulted from clippings being allowed to sit on the deck. I know, I owned one-and didn't take very good care of it because it was a pain to remove the deck & clean it every so often. That was the only way to get the clippings off, to remove the deck. Took it out every season's end for maintenance, but in between just used the leaf blower to blow off the excess. I think I got 5 or 6 seasons out of it, finally started showing rust under the paint. Ended up selling it as it was, new owner was happy to get it too.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
and built-up clippiings can and do hold moisture, and more importantly chemicals that cause corrosion of metal and paint. So the paint comes off either way. I ain't never seen a mower that would hold paint on the bottom side for more than a season. Not even powder coat holds up very long. Rusted decks often are resulted from clippings being allowed to sit on the deck. I know, I owned one-and didn't take very good care of it because it was a pain to remove the deck & clean it every so often. That was the only way to get the clippings off, to remove the deck. Took it out every season's end for maintenance, but in between just used the leaf blower to blow off the excess. I think I got 5 or 6 seasons out of it, finally started showing rust under the paint. Ended up selling it as it was, new owner was happy to get it too.
My deck is two seasons old now. Still has paint. I clean it each time I sharpen the blades. I treat it pretty mean, so I sharpen the blades about once every month or two. Most of the time it has build up. No rust, only a few scratches. Most of the time it has a thin layer of buildup under it.

We're not that dry here, but I mostly mow reasonably dry grass. I keep it in a shed, so it dries out OK between times.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I wonder..................What would happen if you turned the deck upside down? Would the oil come out of the gear box?
I have heard of folks doing a total clean under the deck. Getting all the way down to totally clean. Then painting the underside with that bed mat "paint", like what I used on the footwell deck when I refurbed my machine. That stuff is like iron.
I would love to do that