Anyone switched from Dynamo to Alternator on B3200?

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I have a 2009 Kubota B3200 HST with the V1505 engine. I run it for some long durations but more for short starts and stops. I have thought of changing over from the 14 amp Permanent magnet Dynamo to the 40 amp automotive style alternator. My question is has anyone done this conversion and if so, does the alternator fit behind the body sheet metal? I can figure out the wiring. Just want to have an alternator that charges the battery better at lower RPM and charges with more amperage. The dynamo needs to have the engine speed up around 1800-2000 to get good charging. I do still have the original battery and I load checked it today without charging it first and it still holds 500 amps.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I do still have the original battery and I load checked it today without charging it first and it still holds 500 amps.
Whilst I don't want to influence your decision to change out to an alternator - as your dynamo has adequately maintained your battery for 8 years, it's doing a great job now, and should do well into the future!
But perhaps you NEED extra output for the search light you are about to fit, and you are going to start using the tractor for a few minutes at a time so the battery may not get adequately charged?
I'd guess it will fit right up as it is a factory option.
EDIT: Personally I'd be spending the money on a new battery so you can rely on it in the winter. Not that you get really cold, but batteries do have a limited lifespan.YMMV

Last edited:

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
I had the alternator installed on my xB3200 by the dealer.
The alternator blocked access to the oil dip stick.
To check the oil, I had to pull the side panel.
That was my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk