Any drone pilots on here?

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Well my Wife let me spend a bit of money :eek::eek::eek:

I am the proud owner of a DJI Macic Pro. I am in awe of the abilities of this little bird. The video and picture quality is out of the world.

Here are some pictures of my little part of the world. What a difference 24 hours can make.

Attachments

itsaz

Equipment
BX2670, FEL, Box Blade, Wood Chipper, Rotary Cutter
Oct 14, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
I have a DJI Phantom 3 Standard that I use to keep watch over my 10 acres. It's amazing how much technology is packed into these little birds.

It's just as amazing how much your weather changed in a short time.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have a DJI Phantom 3 Standard that I use to keep watch over my 10 acres. It's amazing how much technology is packed into these little birds.

Same, here. The 3 standard is about all that I want to spend, right now. At that, I bought a reconditioned one.

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
A couple of years ago I bought the 'Autel Robotics X-Star' and I am quite pleased with it. A couple of photos of the view from above my house. Have not gone above the 400' height due to federal regulations but I should would like to get a view from about a mile up... :)

Attachments

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501DT, MX4700,RTV400ci,Z411KW
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA

I've got a Phantom 3 Standard also, we love it. It's the first and only drone I've ever flown so I have nothing to compare it to, but we were amazed at the quality of the images/video and how easy it is to fly.

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501DT, MX4700,RTV400ci,Z411KW
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
Well my Wife let me spend a bit of money :eek::eek::eek:

I am the proud owner of a DJI Macic Pro. I am in awe of the abilities of this little bird. The video and picture quality is out of the world.

Here are some pictures of my little part of the world. What a difference 24 hours can make.
Those are cool pictures, it looks like a beautiful area.

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
I have a Phantom 4 PRO and love it. In fact, I used it last week after a big wind storm to review damage to the property that it hard to access by foot.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You guys give us (me) less informed a lesson.
1. What features to look for when buying a drone?
2. What is the price range for the ones you own?
3. How difficult is it to learn to use?
4. How much are repairs when it flies into a tree?
5. Where to look to buy one?

From what I see that would be an excellent way for me to check fence lines and creek crossings without venturing into the sticks! Could even check to see if the cows are under their favorite trees, or neighbor's pasture!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
might even work for deer hunting too,, though I doubt the game warden would approve.

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
I have a 40+ acre timber farm and want to get one to scout the land. I was looking at DJI also, they seem to be the way to go. Seems a guy will spend about 1200+ to get a good one. I liked the return home feature, the return home if the transmitter is all of a sudden out of range too.

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
I have a Phantom 3 pro and been building a quad drone from scratch for a winter project.
Amazing machines.
I suggest getting some Corrosion X for water protection if you fly over water like I do
cheers
Hank

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA

From what I see that would be an excellent way for me to check fence lines and creek crossings without venturing into the sticks! Could even check to see if the cows are under their favorite trees, or neighbor's pasture!
Federal law says that you aren't to fly it out of your line of sight; so, chances are, it isn't going to live up to your expectations to see areas that you can't get to, or aren't close to. Couple that with the chances of hitting obstacles- they are awesome to play with and use, but in my experience, there is a lot of risk in flying them where you can't see them. Where they shine is flying one up to 200-400 feet, and getting a good birds eye view.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I ran into 2 guys (rich guys) flying large 6 prop drones wth front & rear facing cameras and airsoft full auto guns mounted. They were having dogfights and using the cameras to record hits & decide who won each engagement. They said that only occasionally did one actually shoot down the other, but no big deal, they had both extra drones in the Hummer.:eek:

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH

1. Look for something with "training" mode, GPS guidance (i.e. when you put it in a spot it stays there even with wind), a viewable display (i.e. you can see in real time what the camera sees), automatic takeoff and landing, flight time of 20 minutes or more per battery, return to home feature. Other features that are cool; follow mode (drone follows controller like if you are in a vehicle), auto pilot (you can program a flight path and drone will fly it), point of interest (set point and radius and drone will circle that point).
2. I got the Xstar with 1 mile range, 3 batteries, hard case, extra propellers, 4K camera for about $900, extra battery included sale and 1 free battery from manufacturer.
3. Very easy, I used auto takeoff and land until I was familiar with it. It is very fast and I was surprised how high 400ft is.
4. I have seen a few crashes and had a kinda hard landing myself. My drone did not sustain any damage but the crashes I saw basically just broke some propellers. If it sinks in water you are basically toast unless you can do something to make it water tight.
5. I would start with 'http://www.drone-works.com/'.

Some things to note: when I started looking at drones I was looking at the DJI phantoms and back then it was something like $1,800 for the drone and the GoPro camera was another $600. Too pricey for me especially since I was reading a lot from owners that said the GPS failed and the drone took off never to be seen again.

I have no idea if the problems still exist (I suspect not) or what the current cost of a DJI is. I would say to think about what you want to do with it (i.e. do you need a 1 mile range, a 1/2 mile is cheaper), how long will you be flying (i.e. do you need extra batteries?), are you looking for high resolution cameras (i.e. do you need to be able to zoom a picture to see faces from a photo taken at 400 feet?). Some things to consider...

Good luck and whatever you decide to buy, happy flying. :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was talking to the kid and her hubby has come home from his 6,7, or 8th tour,, I lost count. Anyway after I read this post, I wondered if maybe she might have thought about something like this to keep an eye on the horses at the ranch. And her hubby said that when he left, the bad guys were using toy drones with a camera feed so they can watch them and dropping them in to places where the good guys are, I dont know how much they will carry but I guess enough HE to do a bit of damage.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The farrier was here Saturday and we got into a conversation about drones.

His son-in-law works with the DOD and has a drone to monitor his place. Sounded pretty fancy and he mentioned he has filled out the paperwork, apparently for longer/higher flights? Takes off, circles, lands back on the battery charger. But he had a "simple" version for like 3K!

I don't mind having some fun, but for 3K I'll walk the fences.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Mine has a 4 mile transmission and control, GPS and GLONASS, 27 minute flight time, 4K video, 12.3 MP camera.. Return to home. several flight modes, fordable (about the size of a large water bottle) for portability. I want to be able to see the world in a new way. I live in the mountains and there is natural beauty all around me. I have started to do thing with my family and making memories. Oddly enough in the USA professional drone pilots are subject to more constraints as far as how, distance and altitude. A commercial/Professional pilot CAN NOT go above 400' or get out of line of sight a hobby pilot SHOULD NOT go above 400' or not get out of sight. Those are just some of the weird ways the US FAA has the rules. CRAZZZZY IMO

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I got one last Christmas from my son (Army Apache Pilot). I have no idea what it is really capable of doing but it is fun to fly. It has several built in acrobatic function, a camera and monitor, and several batteries. Each battery will fly about 12 minutes on a single charge. I wired two of the batteries together and installed them in the drone stacked so now it flies a lot lower but about 50% longer that it did with just one battery. I did not need 400 feet of flight anyway. It flys about 100 feet high or maybe a little higher now but it is still fun to fly. It does not do the acrobatics with the stacked batteries but I don't really miss that stuff anyway. I always fly it within sight and it is just for fun anyway.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Would like to have one, but less than a mile from our airport. Plus the float plane base is right across the river. They come over so low you can count the rivets on the floats. So a bad idea around my yard.