Another fuel question?

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Cooler weather is upon us. I have less than 1/2 tank of fuel which should translate to about 15 or 20 hours run time. I am going to try and wait for the winter blend before refueling. I have both gray and white Power Service, gray is in the tank now. When do I add the white and can you mix the two since they have different functions? Is the white also a lube or do you need the gray for lube? I assume winter blend has both #1 and #2, is that correct? Does anyone buy/use only #1 during the winter and if so what treatment is required? I doubt it will even be available around here, there seems to be only one choice around here. Just trying to understand fueling a bit better.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You need to keep your tank full so it won't gather water from condensation. I would go ahead and add the treatment and fill the tank.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
So are you saying to fill it with #2 and put in the anti gel? Should I also put the gray bottle in for lube or does the white anti gel lube also? Don't want to put too much stuff in if it creates problems that I am not aware of since I am new to diesel and first winter.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
It's to early to use the white PS. Don't switch over until the tractor is starting at sub 30F. For most of us in the US north that is usually not until mid November to December.
When it is time to switch just top off fuel and add a full dose of PS white. My understanding of PS is; within reason, you can't use to much, only waste money if over treated. Jeff

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I have not seen #1 sold for years. If it was available I would run it in the winter time and treat same as #2. I don't think I would run it if it was priced way over #2.
What is the coldest temperature you expect to start and/or operate your tractor in this winter?

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Do you use gray in the winter when you are using white anti gel?
I have worked in 0 and below. Normally probably 20s. Tractor will be stored in unheated barn with block heater on timer and battery tender.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I only use one or the other. I always assumed that's the way PS intended use.
You should be good with winterized #2 and the PS white/winter bottle.
I regularly snow blow below 0F. My garage seldom gets below 32F but I sometimes need to leave it out over night. Starting is not a problem even without a block heater or tender. Just give it more glow plug time the colder it gets and use the decompression if you have one. Jeff

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
White is for winter. (as you know) But you don't want to mix them. I don't think they will interact badly... but you don't want a double shot in the fuel.

If you are worried about the fuel in the tank, or leftover fuel in your fuel cans.... just mix in some Kerosene. (or Jet A) That's (more or less) what the fuel companies do. Up to a 50/50 mix is what you get in very cold places.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Does the anti gel white have a lubrication agent in it?
I think I will fill the tank with current diesel and use gray additive, then the next tank should be into winter a bit more so will switch to white additive.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I have always used Power Service white in my Cummins Dodge for the last 21 years summer and winter with no problems.
So the white does have a lube?
Went ahead and filled tank with #2 and gray, should be able to use before cold really sets in and by the time I need more the winter blend should be available. At that time I will switch to the white anti gel additive, just want to make sure that is the only thing I need. Sounds like a winter this year and if anything like last year the snowplow blade and tractor will get a baptism of fire, I mean snow. We didn't have too many minus 30 - 50 wind chill days but just a few are too many, hurtin cold is what I call it.

BR25004X4

Equipment
Kubota B6000 L3901
May 12, 2017
Columbus, NE
So the white does have a lube?
Went ahead and filled tank with #2 and gray, should be able to use before cold really sets in and by the time I need more the winter blend should be available. At that time I will switch to the white anti gel additive, just want to make sure that is the only thing I need. Sounds like a winter this year and if anything like last year the snowplow blade and tractor will get a baptism of fire, I mean snow. We didn't have too many minus 30 - 50 wind chill days but just a few are too many, hurtin cold is what I call it.
Here is what their product page says about the white winter power service.
Benefits

Prevents fuel gelling
Protects against fuel-filter icing
Boosts cetane for faster cold starts
Contains Slickdiesel® Lubricator to protect fuel pumps and injectors from increased wear caused by Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel
Effective in all diesel fuels, including ULSD and biodiesel blends

I used Opti-Lube XPD in my 2011 Jetta TDI diesel for 6 years winter and summer also with no problems however it is more expensive I believe.

Last edited:

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
Here is what their product page says about the white winter power service.
Benefits

Prevents fuel gelling
Protects against fuel-filter icing
Boosts cetane for faster cold starts
Contains Slickdiesel® Lubricator to protect fuel pumps and injectors from increased wear caused by Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel
Effective in all diesel fuels, including ULSD and biodiesel blends

I used Opti-Lube XPD in my 2011 Jetta TDI diesel for 6 years winter and summer also with no problems however it is more expensive I believe.
TCW3 2 cycle oil is a great lubrication additive. 1/2 oz per gallon and it comes very close to the lube numbers on Opti-Lube for a whole lot less money.
It also seems to act like an anti gel. I run it in my cummins and never add any anti gel. Been operating in -20F and never had a problem with gelling. 11 years running that now.