Another B7100HST 3 point lift question

EdF

Equipment
B7100HST
Apr 9, 2013
Jonestown, PA
Is it common to get a grinding noise when operating the lift lever on the 3 point. The noise sounds like a car starter being operated after an engine is already running. The 3 point operates great other than the noise I get when engaging the lift lever.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
no, a grinding noise is not normal in a 3 point hitch operation.

It may be going into bypass mode. Is noise made when you are putting it all the way to the top or trying to lift something?

EdF

Equipment
B7100HST
Apr 9, 2013
Jonestown, PA
It only makes noise on the initial movement of the lever to lift. No noise at all when moving the lever to lower the 3 point. When lifting if I push the lever really fast it lifts without any noise at all. Otherwise it operates as expected, it lifts and holds a 5 foot snow/dozer blade just fine.

skipbasler

Equipment
b7200 hste, befco finish mower, grader blade
Jan 28, 2015
North Port Fl.
I am definitely not a kubuota guru, but I may have an answer for you. I assume you don't have a position control lift. If so, the grinding noise you're hearing should be more the sound you get from your car's power steering if you crank the wheel hard over to the stop and hold it there. this is caused by the control valve closing the center (by pass) port before it opens the port to the lift cylinder. This basically dead heads the pump. My B7200 also does this. While it may not be normal, it appears not to be uncommon, as hard on the equipment and annoying as it is.
Skip

EdF

Equipment
B7100HST
Apr 9, 2013
Jonestown, PA
skipbasler,

Your right it does sound like a power steering unit squeeling. I think both you and Russell King hit the nail on the head. I suppose I'll just have to live with the noise. Thanks to both of you for the comments.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There should be some feedback and control rod connected to the upper arm of the 3 point mechanism (rock shaft). You can adjust it so it does not go into bypass mode. Looking at your tractor's parts list, it appears to be on the right side (sitting in the seat) and has a couple of stopper bolts on both sides of a tab.

You might try to search the forum for instructions on adjustment.

On my tractor it squealed only at the top of the lift and the adjustment took care of that. You may also need to check your fluid levels and the pickup screen to ensure that your pump is getting sufficient oil flow, since I understand that is making the noise at the beginning of the lift travel, not the top of the travel.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I agree with Russell!
Go to Kubotabooks.com and download the three part WSM for your tractor, and the OPS manual too as they both will give you a ton of information. ;)

EdF

Equipment
B7100HST
Apr 9, 2013
Jonestown, PA
Russell,

The control rod is on the right side as you describe. I adjusted a stopper bolt last year to reduce the lift height of the 3 point so I know what you are talking about. Oil & screens were serviced recently so I know that is not the problem. I downloaded the WSM as suggested by Wolfman and will research it for proper adjustment of the control rod.

Thanks to all for the help.