And yet another DIY canopy idea...

Ol Boonie

Equipment
Kubota L3400HST, Kubota ZD323, Kawasaki Mule 610
Aug 4, 2024
NW Arkansas
Retired, too cheap to spring for prefab top, and always tinkering.

Got to looking at an IBC tote that I made a lift basket for the FEL and had a thought. Some scrap items, a $25 IBC tote with steel pallet, and few hours later here it is...more tinkering to come.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

Ol Boonie

Equipment
Aug 4, 2024
NW Arkansas
Flip it and go overlanding😁
Ha!

I did think about leaving the base to the IBC cage on it. Would be cargo rack on top, brush cage underneath!

In the end, I didn't want too much over the pan to catch limbs. If I decide to remove it for more mods, I'll flip the pan so the drain recess is facing downwards.

My wife, always skeptical of my ideas, actually kinda likes the Mad Max look it has going on. Maybe I need to add some chains and skulls...

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Ol Boonie

Equipment
Aug 4, 2024
NW Arkansas
Wow, we are at $100 around here. Looks like it could fry some eggs out in the sun. I like it
Found a guy who worked on a big farm operation that had some on FB Marketplace. The top of the bladders were cut open to store feed but the cages were good. Good, complete IBCs are going between $60-80 around here.

It was hot on my initial outing with it and it wasn't bad. The shiny surface reflects a lot of heat I'm guessing. The cage is 40"x48" and for my ROPS I had to use the 48" to span the width. That means I only have 40" front to back to block the sun...later in the afternoon, it seemed like only my head and neck were shaded at times.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Nice job sir!

I like the "outside the box" thinking.

When I cut those totes, it always leaves a burr.

So maybe get a couple of "pool noodles" and slice them "length wise" and secure with 'zip ties' to pad it when hitting your "noggin". (or possibly some of that pipe insulation material at Home Depot)

Just a suggestion.

Ol Boonie

Equipment
Aug 4, 2024
NW Arkansas
Nice job sir!

I like the "outside the box" thinking.

When I cut those totes, it always leaves a burr.

So maybe get a couple of "pool noodles" and slice them "length wise" and secure with 'zip ties' to pad it when hitting your "noggin". (or possibly some of that pipe insulation material at Home Depot)

Just a suggestion.

I like the idea but wonder if the smaller limbs I still push through would tear it. I suppose I could wrap them in a stout tape or something to offer some protection.

So far, no issues on bumping the head into the cage, but the jeep style mirror I hung underneath gets me some. Got a couple of lower profile wide angle mirrors coming that should give me good rear views while backing the brush cutter along my pond banks.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice use of what is available!

I use the totes to store grain in. I cut the top and then screw hinges to the lid so it closes. I store big bags of protein pellets for cattle and this keeps the possums, coons and other critters out.

I have access to EZGO golf cart tops. They make excellent canopies for tractors. If you ever come up this way let me know and I can fetch one for you!

Attachments

Ol Boonie

Equipment
Aug 4, 2024
NW Arkansas

I use the totes to store grain in. I cut the top and then screw hinges to the lid so it closes. I store big bags of protein pellets for cattle and this keeps the possums, coons and other critters out.

I have access to EZGO golf cart tops. They make excellent canopies for tractors. If you ever come up this way let me know and I can fetch one for you!

Thanks, I will.

The ones I bought have cages intact, just the top of the bladder cut on three sides with the 4th being the "hinge".

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
EMP shield for a tractor. Be careful in lightning ⚡⚡⚡.

Ol Boonie

Equipment
Aug 4, 2024
NW Arkansas

Just looked at your location...my oldest boy was just up there last week...dang!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Thanks, I will.

The ones I bought have cages intact, just the top of the bladder cut on three sides with the 4th being the "hinge".
Here's how the cart tops look. I made this one for my neighbor's Kubota tractor his wife uses most of the time for raking hay. I used unistrut to mount to ROPS and did not need to drill a hole anywhere in the EZGo top.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Here's how the cart tops look. I made this one for my neighbor's Kubota tractor his wife uses most of the time for raking hay. I used unistrut to mount to ROPS and did not need to drill a hole anywhere in the EZGo top.
I've been on the hunt for something to make a top, since last year. I have seen a couple, but they were too far away. Slim pickings on the West Coast!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I've been on the hunt for something to make a top, since last year. I have seen a couple, but they were too far away. Slim pickings on the West Coast!
What do you mean, folks on the West coast don't golf? Every place that sells golf carts sells bells and whistles (bling) for them. For some reason there are better canopys, so when they get new ones they want them installed. My nearby dealer has a dumpster of them every time I go by---at least so far!

Stop in and ask!!!!!